My Wicked Lights w402zf review

Bueller

Just got my new Wicked Lights w402zf this week and got to test it out. This entire kit is quality, the light, mounts, case, everything. The hard case is very handy and comes with a slot for everything. The light its self is pretty big compared to the XLR250 I'm used to.

The light it makes is on a whole different level. It's zoomable and when its focused it can illuminate treelines and houses well out to 400 yards. When its focused the beam is square like the shape of the LED but it grew on me as I used it, zoom it back out and it turns into a perfect circle. The beam is very centralized and has more of a "cut off". I hate to say it but it blows the XLR250 out of the water for both scanning and shooting. The XLR works fine and I used it for years, but after getting this I can tell you I'll use the W402ZF a lot more. Overall I'm very happy, its a little bigger but definitely worth it.

Size comparison
[img:center]http:// [/img]

Last edited:
The new focus-able lights are in a class of their own. Just to let you know(in case you didnt) The battery extender can screw off nd you can run the W402zf with just one battery so its not near as long. You will get the same power just half the run time.

My only complaint is that the adjustable mount has a decent amount of play in it and moves around if you're trying to adjust the zoom while its mounted on a gun.

There is a little play in the focus adjustment as well. My Sniper Hog has the same slight play in it also. Dont think it will be an issue though.

Originally Posted By: BoondockOutdoorsThe new focus-able lights are in a class of their own. Just to let you know(in case you didnt) The battery extender can screw off nd you can run the W402zf with just one battery so its not near as long. You will get the same power just half the run time.

What is the run time compaired to xlr250?

The W402zf and 66LR are very similar in performance.

The W402zf has a quicker focus ring and a lower mount with stiffer springs in it.

The W402zf has Hi-Med and Lo setting where the 66LR has Hi and low.

Jeremiah, how does the 402 compare the the Wicked headlamp light? IIRC, mine headlamp becomes square as well for distance. I don't recall the model number for the headlamp.

One of my buddies has the "Coyote Light" and it is insanely bright. wonder how the W402ZF will stack up against it? Any comments? I currently use the xlr250.. Just looking to upgrade .

I've never used the W402zf so I can't comment. I have owned and used the 66LR. Yes it's bright, but that is where the comparison to the Coyotelight ends in my experience. On the 66lr that I owned, the bezel was so sloppy, (meaning that the light beam wandered all over the place in my field of view through my scope), and the adjustable mount was so "clunky", that I sent it back after one night and bought the Coyotelight. I am very satisfied with my decision. The 66lr that I had was a real disappointment, the Coyotelight is a precision made hunting light. It does cost twice as much as the 66lr. It is worth the extra money, in my opinion, to have an American made light that just works.

Last edited:
Bueller, I got my Predator kit last weekend. Hope to give the lights a try tonight. I have to agree with you on the mount. I don't like it at all. The light moves around so much it's hard to believe it was deigned that way. I get a good 1/2 inch movement left to right and up / down. If anyone knows of an adjustable mount that can be locked down please let me know. Other than that, I'm glad I purchased it.

Are you saying that the light is moving on its own or wobbling?
Or do you mean if you push on it it moves then returns back under the spring pressure in the mount?

The light doesn't wobble or move on its own. It only moves when you push it. It doesn't hurt anything I guess as long as it' returns to the same place each time. I went out tonight and everything worked real good. It's just annoying trying to adjust the focus while looking through the scope. I do need to call you Thursday about an LED issue. I am happy with the lights and would recommend them. By the way I took a Grey Fox using the Green LED.

Back