Complete Cluster Coyote

bhw

Gang,

I ventured out to get a gray fox last night for a quick season slam. After 4 empty sets, I caught eyes and it was a gray fox! It slowly walked across the cut bean field. I could have shot it ten times, but I let it keep approaching. All of a sudden, it veered off into a hedgerow, not to be seen again ;-|

It was now 1:00 AM and I had to get home, but not before one last stand!

I started with Baby Cottontail from the Fusion (which by the way was suffering from low batteries - the green light was glowing). After 30 seconds I catch eyes in the field... then my scanning light dies!

I switch to my scope mounted aspheric lens light with the lousy 3 mode switch... IT DOES NOT TURN ON!!

Here I am clicking like crazy and the light turns on... then turns off! I go back to the handheld light and hold it again the rifle stock. It's dim but I can now see the coyote at 70 yards charging the call. All of a sudden, the scope light turns on automatically! I take aim and blast the coyote! It falls in it's tracks and is flopping around. I want to shoot again to anchor it... but the light dies again!! In the last fading light I noticed that the coyote regained it's composure and ran away.

Lightless, I jump up to see how far it went. Again, I use the handheld and find the coyote laying about 50 from the impact location. He is down but needed a second shot to render him lifeless.

As soon as I drag him back to the road, the skies open up and it down poured like never before. I was thinking pictures as this time and drove to a gas station in order to take advantage of the gas pump roof for dryness!

6ac7c2b6d45ff9bdc608de60b0859030_zps585be788.jpg

cbb24fdc2cd75869043e264ec9dbddc6_zpsb7614e4e.jpg

Last edited:
Back