Camouflage Clothing and Predator Hunting

don't sit on the ground have a stool

now that's its cooling down I wear my brown ripstops and a black jacket. when it warms back up short sleeve camo shirt

Last edited:
I think it is more about contrast than about color.

Here is a bobcat that I shot next to my rifle:

IMG_2448 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Same pic in black and white for contrast

IMG_2448 BW by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Me in camo:

IMG_2643 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

And in black and white for contrast:

IMG_2643 BW by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

There is a good reason that predators are the color that they are, and that they are successful. So if you mimic their tones your going to increase you chances for success.

Here's an article I wrote recently for LongRangeHunting.com entitled "Camoflauge, Concealment and Coyotes". It's now posted on my website. I think it sums up what a lot of people here are saying. The gist is that camoflauge is good but the real goal is concealment. Concealment takes in much more than just a camo pattern. I'll submit it for the biologists to review. http://no-off-season.com/public_html/_docs/Camouflage%20Concealment%20and%20Coyotes.pdf Thanks.

Earth tones and sit still is all that is needed. If I'm going after predators I will go all out camo head to toe. During upland season I leave my dog in the truck to rest and go out with just my tan brush pants and usually just brown shirt or at most a desert military camo long sleeve. I still call them right up close. Also, blue and wood or black guns work just fine too.

I do feel gloves really help if using a hand call and if you are white like me a face mask because you are moving your head to scan.

Like others said, its all about movement and getting up against something.

I can only see a need for snow camo on the prairie or something. Around here the bushes, trees, and boulders are not going to be solid white. Just sit against something.

Just like the scent spray, its all about taking your money.

Originally Posted By: tt35Here's an article I wrote recently for LongRangeHunting.com entitled "Camoflauge, Concealment and Coyotes". It's now posted on my website. I think it sums up what a lot of people here are saying. The gist is that camoflauge is good but the real goal is concealment. Concealment takes in much more than just a camo pattern. I'll submit it for the biologists to review. http://no-off-season.com/public_html/_docs/Camouflage%20Concealment%20and%20Coyotes.pdf Thanks.

Yep, that's a great article!

I use Kuiu Verde pattern a lot, because I have it for guiding bowhunters and the muted hues of olive and tan in a large patterns seem to work really well here in south Texas - year round. I also use an ancient leafywear suit that's one of the original Mossy Oak patterns but is so old and sun bleached that it's mostly grey now. I can throw that over whatever I'm working in that day, on the ranch, and go calling. It's my "lucky wear!" Lol! Not so lucky for predators, though.
smile.gif

When there is snow on the ground I wear white coveralls. I usually wear camo without snow. Just try to wear something that doesn't stick out. The most important thing is to set still.

Has anyone used ASAT camo for predator hunting? How well did it work? Its my go to camo! I also have a 3-D ASAT suite.

Last edited:
I've always thought that the better the camo is, the more movement you can "get away with". But I agree with the earlier post stating that most of the camo on the market is too dark.

When we have snow cover, I wear white cotton sweat pants and hoodie. I wash these with uv blocker detergent this reduces the "glow". All my non-white camo for coyote hunting has no green and I like to be a shade lighter than the cover I am in.

Depending on the area, I prefer leafy camo or wild open patterns like Predator fall gray. I use white with a lot of snow on the ground.

I have killed hundreds of coyotes years ago wearing Carhart bibs and a blue denim shirt covered in grease and diesel fuel. This is what I wore at work and getting out of work would go calling. That said if I am going calling I wear camo. I feel the most important things to camo are your hands, face and gun. this is what you will be moving. Most camo patterns are out there to fool hunters into parting with their money, any pattern will work that breaks up your outline. Sit in the shade and don't move around and 3/4 of the battle is won. I agree that most camo patterns are to dark. When you see a hunter at a distance they look like a dark blob. They are fine if you are hunting thick timber but out in the open you might as well be in blue jeans and a dark shirt.

YMMV drscott

I see lots of guys referencing movements as being the most critical factor, I think that goes without saying. The reality is, at least for me that I can not sit perfectly still while on set. I am operating call, glassing, etc., so I am moving a bit sometime.

I am not suggesting that camo is magic, and will always make "the" difference, but I believe that subtle movements are at least somewhat masked when wearing proper camo. Hunting coyotes in my area is done about 95% of the time with snow on the ground, lots of trees around, so I wear camo that I believe will mask those subtle movements the best.

From reading the posts I think it has been proven that you don't have to wear camo when coyote hunting, but I have more confidence when I wear it.

Here is some things ive been thinking on and noticing...I put my cell phone on video and took it with me to a couple of stands recently and just video my self only...wasnt worried about trying to get a video of the coyotes..I just wanted to see what I look like while calling and moving the gun around from the coyotes point of view...try this some time..try it at several stands and it will amaze you at what you can see...and the things that do stick out that you thought didnt...and the things that hide well that you didnt give much thought to..its a real eye opener...one other thing...Ive noticed over the years that deer, bobcats, coyotes, raccoon...etc...all have more white and lighter colors where the legs meet the body and on the under side of them...the top and backs seem to be slightly darker than the bellies...while watching my self on video i noticed that the area where my arm meets my shoulder, the arm pit area, is extremely dark...even with the lighter camos...look at a bobcat and noticed they had white..so just for something to try i took my carhart duck brown jacket and spray painted white on the arm pit area just as if i was putting on deodorant...and then did the same where the back of my knees bent and where my lower legs met my waist area..around my jean pockets on the front...i was amazed at how well this changed my outline..I think those areas in normal camo look fine to us until we sit down and draw our body in and the bunched up, wrinkled areas of clothing actually creates a darker spot. so lighting this area first will allow it to be lighter in the end once you sit down...hope this makes sense..give the video a try sometime you will really be suprised at what it teaches you. One other thing..it is really hard to compete with the natural camo of an animal...something about the hair, or should i say fur that they have, just allows them to blend so well...I guess you could say God is the camo expert designer..

Last edited:

That sure looks like multi-cam...Not 100% sure ??

Originally Posted By: littletoes I think most folks wear camo patterns that are too dark.

This dog came in danger-close, yet looked up as I moved behind my rifle to center the cross-hairs.

It did see the movement, yet its eyes never focused on me till it was too late. I am sure it never knew what hit him.

Also-Notice how light the camo pattern is, yet it blends wonderfully with the surrounding terrain.

Nov282912yoteII.jpg

Back