RPG Range Time

Originally Posted By: riverbossI love my 6x6.8 so much i think its about time to ditch the 223 for a 22x6.8 im thinking a 22in blackhole barrel.

It's like going froma Pinto to a Cobra. Mine is a 24" truck axle but I am shooting PD's not humping it around much.

You get ready to go I'll give you the skinny on the one that Ritch built me. The things just flat shot and he has sold ashort ton of them along with the 20 Practical.

Greg

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSDon't have any pics to post yet as I just ordered my first RPG. A 20" 22x6.8.

You have your dies?

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: BOBTAILSDon't have any pics to post yet as I just ordered my first RPG. A 20" 22x6.8.

You have your dies?

Greg

Not yet. I sent you a pm Greg.

Originally Posted By: riverbossDoees ch4d have these to ? Thats were i got my 6x6.8.

I am not sure if I sent them a reamer print. I could do that if the need is there but that is sure a long way to take a case down in on srep. Not unheard of but a bunch. You might give Dave a call. Odd we have a Dave at PT&G, Manson and CH4D.

Originally Posted By: riverbossI thought I would use the 6x6.8 for the first step then finish with the 22x6.8 that would work wouldn't it.

That's exactly how I would do it.

Greg

The RW&B trucked stopped by Monday and left me a package. I'm now in the process of getting everything fitted up as I am poor and don't have money for factory ammo. Not sure why I'm broke but maybe this is part of it? Busy making cases and getting measurments this week.

Both uppers were built up by RPG. Top is the new American 30 by BHW based on the 6.8. Kind of a stetched 30 Herrett. More case volume. So far it is shooting everything well with Ritch behind it in the 150 grains or less range. I'm thinking the 125 Sierras and the 125 Speers will be the go to bullet on this. Performance exceeds the 30-30 by a bit. Forends and GBs are BTE with an Aero upper on both builds. I haven't put the BTE charge handles in yet. Optics TBD.

The bottom one is a 458 SOCOM with the KTB Black Hole integral comp. That is one huge hole in the end of that puppy. I upgraded one of my ACE stocks with a thicker recoil pad. I think I'll need it..

Greg

Received my BHW 20 Practical Barrel from Ritch Tuesday of last week. Assembled the upper on Wednesday and was on the range Thursday for barrel break-in. Have begun load development with H335, Benchmark, and RL10x powders. Following are rounds 61 through 80. The barrel shows great potential.
BlackRain-BHW_20-Prac_09-30-2014_Berger-35GR-2_zps93f71075.jpg

MVC-581F_zps5f765196.jpg

Upper

Black Rain Norguard Fallout upper receiver

Black Hole Weaponry Barrel 20 Practical .920" 1-10" 24" Stainless Steel Satin Finish

JP Enterprises low profile Adjustable Gas Block

JP Enterprises VTAC Modular 15" Handguard Slate finish

Black Rain Norguard Charging Handle

JP Low Mass Enhanced SS Bolt Carrier with Enhanced SS Bolt

JP Low Mass Buffer

JP Buffer Spring

Burris X-treme Rings

Barska AC11674 10-40x50 30mm scope

HBLMS Harris Bipod 9" to 13"

Lower

Black Rain Norguard Fallout Receiver

Fulton Armory A2 Buttstock

Fulton Armory lower parts kit

Geissele High Speed Match 2 stage triggerpecs of rifle:

Last edited:
Ritch and I have been working on a new wildcta called the American 30. Basically a reformed 6. SPC case opened up to 30 caliber designed for maximum case capacity.

Rich built me the rifle with a 16" tube after getting it chambered by Black Hole.

I managed to go out Sunday and took the A-30 along to stretch its legs. I wanted a baseline on several powders and also to see if the primer choice made a difference in overall velocity and grouping. 27 different combinations were tried with nine powders. Nine of these I repeated with different primers giving me a total test batch of 36 distinctive loads. Regular primer used was the Remington 7 1/2 with the CCI 450's being used as a substitute primer in the nine loads. 125 Sierra Pro Hunters and formed FC brass were used.

Velocities out of the 16" BHW barrel were anywhere from mild to a bit over 2600. I'm still waiting on the Holy Grail 1680 and RL7 powders.

Here's half a dozen groups for your perusal.

And everyone has a wallet group to carry around so here's what's in my wallet!!

I found the rifle ran 100% with all loads tested. I found the CCI primers were a tad faster but the groups appeared to open up a bit. I also determined that many powders make for a full case but some good powders left plenty of room for a bit of increase as my pressures were very good.

Next up will be some 150's followed by the 110's and my favorite 130's.

Greg

I thought I'd share some photos of my RPG 6x6.8 and the groups I've been shooting while working up loads. These might not quite stack up to some of the other groups posted in this thread, but I'll get there someday!

I've been working on loads for the 58gr V-max and 70gr ballistic tip using 8208 and CFE223. The 58 grain v-maxes were loaded with 8208 from 29gr to 32gr in .5 grain increments, and CFE223 from 32.0gr to 34.0gr. The 70gr ballistic tips were loaded with CFE223 from 31.5gr to 34.0gr, and 8208 from 29.gr to 34.0gr.

My first batch was using CCI400 primers and a .268 neck bushing, but upon Ritch's suggestion I loaded another batch using CCI450 primers and a .267 bushing. Velocity was up on the second batch and some loads definitely show promise. None of the loads showed signs of pressure, so I might bump them up a touch.

Is the leakage around the gas block something to worry about? I'm fairly new to AR's.

20141018_162845_zpsccmqgiao.jpg

20141018_155110_zps327846ee.jpg

20141018_155126_zps6e95dd4e.jpg

20141018_155209_zpsc33759b0.jpg

20141018_161944_zpsb524ef1a.jpg

Last edited:
That's decent shooting and you are getting there. Environmental factors can come into play and that adds to the challenge. Trying to shoot the mirage is one of my personal goals that is coming slowly along. The tighter bushing does help the speed on some loads. On others it might be a wash.

The leakage around the tube won't hurt anything. Pretty minimal. I've shot a few that were much worse. The adjustable gas block is certainly an asset on this one. I use clear RTV on mine and so far have had zero issues.

Greg

I made out to range yesterday and despite the windy conditions I think I found a winner.

These loads are safe in my rifle, but may not be in yours. As always, start low, work up slowly, and proceed with caution.

The 70gr ballistic tips made a decent showing with 31.5gr of 8208.

20141026_170455_zpsjmrfxzql.jpg

The 58gr v-max won the day at 32.5gr of 8208.

20141026_170548_zpslr7bztlg.jpg

With an average velocity of 3,445fps and four of those shots going into .149" this load should be just the ticket for coyotes!
Now to load up a bunch before my upcoming contest.

-Bill

I know this isn't out of an AR but Ritch of RPG guns helped me get my Savage 22-250 shooting. We went to the range on Saturday. The wind was blowing about 20 MPH from the right. This gun has shot pretty good before it was bedded, but now I am expecting great things out of it. This goes to show that Ritch is very knowledgeable in more than just AR's. It looks a little strange because Ritch decided I needed some help by putting a .30 cal bullet in the middle of my 5 shot group. LOL But it still came out to a .513 the best I've done with this gun. [img:left][/img]

Last edited:
As you know there is a tradition at this time of year to hold turkey shoots in many places. Nice deal in that you kick in $5.00 or so and get to shoot for a good gobbler for the table. Old world guys shoot a string match, others go for closest bullet to the X, some shoot clay birds, some shoot 3X5 note cards and count the pellest on the card and others shoot for groups.

I thought I'd share this target. As you can see this is obviously a rilfe shoot for group attempt. It was adequate to winb a turkey though I notice the windage was off just a tad. Shot with a 243 LBC Black Hole barrel on a Savage action. Five shots for the gusto that seemed to work well at 100 yards. I think Ritch out did himslef on this build.

Kind of makes you want to drag outthe smoke pole doesn't it? Not bad for five shots and no wind flags.

BHWTURKEYTARGET_zps9648b282.jpg

Greg

Got my new 6x6.8 out today. It's had 11 rounds through it. Here is a picture of 6 rnds at 100yds.

20 inch National Match Profile Barrel
58 gr Vmax
Hornady brass
31 8208 XBR
Rem 7 1/2 primer

Last edited:
Back