Mossberg MMR HNTR FLTTOP 223 20 BLK

No, but I really want one. I've been holding back until enough of them are on the market to see if there's any real downsides to them.

So far, across multiple owners I've contacted on 3 forums, there are a lot of satisfied owners and only a few minor issues.

Some don't like the lack of forward assist, but no one could actually point where this had been "needed". The complaint was more around wanting to be quiet when chambering a round while hunting. Some guys like the FW assist to make sure it's locked up tight rather than having to let the round slam home. Varmint guys don't seem to care.

Like every low/mid priced rifle on the planet, the stock trigger gets a lot of "meh" comments. It works. It's rough, creepy, and has a hard pull. I'm no AR expert, but the comment seems to be that it's a typical lower-priced AR trigger, essentially.

Everybody knows that in a sub-$1k gun, you aren't going to get a top end trigger.

Most actual owners seem to say accuracy is just over MOA if they're being honest. One guy modded out his with a drop in trigger, handloads, etc and posted actual sub MOA pictures, so it is at least possible to go sub, but it wasn't by much. .97 or so.

I'd love to hear more from actual owners. I'm still on the fence about the MMR. Are there other better options that are close in price?

Grouse

I own 2 of them. I can run 5 rounds (my 55g hand loads) w/3 round touching and then the other 2 touching & that takes it to a tad over 1". I put a timney 3lb trigger in them.
Like all other standard AR15s the stock triggers really cruddy in the least.
I have no problems at 400 yards with either of them off stick/bipods calling and on the bench to 600 yards all on 12x12 steel.
On the bench and a more solid overall rest I can stick them a tad under an inch if I take my time and attention. I don't expect either to shoot under .500" like my self built bolt guns.
For a coyote rig they are perfect and wont empty your wallet.
I never had a need for the FA anytime.
With factory basic 55g ammo I get about 1.5" @ 100yds.
I reload so I can do better than factory.

5Spd, what would you say is a better move knowing what you know now about the MMR. Should I:

A. Buy the MMR, upgrade the trigger, and go with it or...

B. Rather than spend $200 to upgrade a new gun right out of the box, just add the $200 to the budget and get a better AR (name brand and model) in the first place.

I'm a bolt action guy, so I know right off the bat the trigger IS going to be an issue when I get in to ARs. Many guys experienced with ARs have told me the same thing, the triggers in low end ARs are NOT going to satisfy anyone used to a crisp, user-adjustable bolt action trigger that comes even with lower priced guns now.

What would you do?

Grouse

I also have an mmr and agree with 5 spd. I put a timney in mine and love it. I dont know if you can by a higher end ar with a better trigger for 900 or not, maybe.

Originally Posted By: grinder67I also have an mmr and agree with 5 spd. I put a timney in mine and love it. I dont know if you can by a higher end ar with a better trigger for 900 or not, maybe.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm wondering. I don't see any obvious choices that are sub-$900 where guys are raving about the awesome trigger.

I've got a price quote for $719 + tax for a camo version. That's pretty attractive.

Grouse

If you can buy an AR15 w/a super trigger like the timneys for $200 more that would be as good as long as its still under or maxed at $900 w/a 20" bbl. Most you find are stuck with a 16 or 18" bbl and I do not like them at all.
I actually started off with the $15 JP trigger springs and of course that was 100% improvement over the stock trigger, then I got the timneys on sale so that's what they wear. I like my triggers at 2.5-3lbs on my ARs not more or less.
You wont find any standard AR15 w/a great trigger until you get close to or way over $1k.
CDNN had the MMRs at $689 about 3 months back...that was a great deal w/the extras they tossed in.

Have either of you used grabagun or buds? How was the experience?

Here's my problem. My LGS is quoting me over 100 more plus then I have to pay tax so over 150 difference.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseHave either of you used grabagun or buds? How was the experience?

Here's my problem. My LGS is quoting me over 100 more plus then I have to pay tax so over 150 difference.

Grouse

I use Buds all thru time, but I only live 25 miles away, they have a good rep, but like all places, there are some folks that are not satisfied, give them a call, they will walk you through all the details

I did the same as the rest on the MMR. bought the rifle, seen it really was wanting to shoot tight, purchased a 3# timney from Joe Bob's, could'nt be happier with the MMR

I bought one in Mossy Oak a while back but never fired it. Actually thought about selling it, as I'm a bolt action guy. Bought it due to decent reviews and alleged accuracy for the price. Had it out last week to clean and lube; it's actually kind of cute. Dug out a scope and bought some cheap "tactical" rings. I see Midway has a single-stage aftermarket AR trigger on sale so might go that way, then give it a "shot" and post results.

DW, please post pics if you take it out on a test drive.

I'm going all-in too. I'm buying one, but yesterday the paperwork caught up with me. Here in MN we need a "permit to purchase" handguns. Whatever, I knew that already. What I didn't know is that that permit now is required for scary black guns as well.
thumbdown.gif

So I dig out my permit from the last time I bought a handgun thinking, OK, I'm good to go. Denied. Permit had expired last year.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to City Hall I go for a renewal. Which takes 7-10 days. Yeah. Here we go again:
thumbdown.gif

So I'm in a holding pattern until I get my permit renewal. Then I can order one.

In the meantime, how's about a little scope shopping...

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseDW, please post pics if you take it out on a test drive.

I'm going all-in too. I'm buying one, but yesterday the paperwork caught up with me. Here in MN we need a "permit to purchase" handguns. Whatever, I knew that already. What I didn't know is that that permit now is required for scary black guns as well.
thumbdown.gif

So I dig out my permit from the last time I bought a handgun thinking, OK, I'm good to go. Denied. Permit had expired last year.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to City Hall I go for a renewal. Which takes 7-10 days. Yeah. Here we go again:
thumbdown.gif

So I'm in a holding pattern until I get my permit renewal. Then I can order one.

In the meantime, how's about a little scope shopping...

Grouse

Buy a camo one, not black��

I just bought a black mmr hunter on gunbroker for 535 shipped. It's supposed to get here on Friday. Guess I'll see how it goes.

I bought the MMR Hunter in mossy oak tree stand and added a Nikon P-223 3x9. I love the rifle, it handles well in brush and shoots grate. It's my dedicated varmint/ predator rifle !

Back