North and South Dakota and WY people, couple ?'s

CJW

So I'm thinking about heading west to coyote hunt this year and have a couple questions. Unfortunately it seems that my vacation falls smack dab in the heart of deer season, so...
I'm thinking western Dakotas or eastern WY.

Do non residents need a license to hunt coyotes in WY?

Does the coyote season close during the gun deer seasons in any of these states?

If I can hunt during the deer seasons is it even worth it or are deer hunters too thick to make it worth it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I can tell you that it would be useless to attempt west central South Dakota in the middle of deer season. The land owners are receiving to much money from their deer hunters to let anyone in and the public ground is swamped with people. I live not 10 miles from one of the biggest pieces of walk-in land and I can tell you that during deer season it is so busy it's hard to find parking sometimes let alone game. Not to mention the safety factor, their is an overwhelming amount of reckless hunters that come to hunt the area.

WY coyote hunting is open all yr round, no license needed, no closed times during big game times, BUT there aint any out here.....:)
Don't know about the Dakotas.

If you do decide to come out here coyotes are open year round and you will need a license of some kind, literally any South Dakota hunting license will make you legal.

Fairchase is right on. If you don't mind getting shot you could always give it a try, but I take a break for deer season. Oh, and there are no coyotes in S.D., cause skinny killed 'em all!!

ND you would be required General Game and a Fur Bearers tag, regardless of when you hunt them.

Season is open 365 days a year on yotes.

Western North Dakota probably wouldn't be too crowded, license numbers are WAY down out there with CWD and other Deer ailments taking their toll on mule deer and whitetail numbers in that part of the state. Unfortunately however, ANYONE afield during hunting season is advised to wear safety orange, and ANYONE AFIELD HUNTING, is required by law to wear it. Don't remember what the exact requirment is, but a cap doesn't cut it; 230 square inches minimum, I want to say... Vest and cap is about minimum under the law anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1ND you would be required General Game and a Fur Bearers tag, regardless of when you hunt them.

Season is open 365 days a year on yotes.

Western North Dakota probably wouldn't be too crowded, license numbers are WAY down out there with CWD and other Deer ailments taking their toll on mule deer and whitetail numbers in that part of the state. Unfortunately however, ANYONE afield during hunting season is advised to wear safety orange, and ANYONE AFIELD HUNTING, is required by law to wear it. Don't remember what the exact requirment is, but a cap doesn't cut it; 230 square inches minimum, I want to say... Vest and cap is about minimum under the law anyhow.

I've actually decided on western ND or eastern MT. How about the Little Missouri National Grasslands? Good place to see some coyotes? I don't mind the safety orange requirement.

Oh, and there are no coyotes in S.D., cause skinny killed 'em all!![/quote]

I pulled into his place at 4:30 the other morning and there was a coyote in his drive way 30 yards from his front door so there is 1 we haven't got yet but I can say this...that coyote will be in full HD footage very soon.

Originally Posted By: barkFairchase is right on. If you don't mind getting shot you could always give it a try, but I take a break for deer season. Oh, and there are no coyotes in S.D., cause skinny killed 'em all!!

LMAO... that made me laugh man... Thanks for the plug! MrteamOR was seeing [beeep] when he pulled in the other a.m. he's not used to waking up @ 4:30, I'm pretty sure he was still dreaming.

Yeah, there are lots of good areas to hunt in the grasslands. Look up the park department website in Medora, and order a grasslands map. It's not real expensive but it shows most of the roads, and private/park/grasslands boundaries. Lot of private land intermingled in the grasslands, and you sure don't want to get in the park with a gun. They get rather grumpy about that. If you get into Beach or Wibaux hang at the local tavern and visit with a few of the local ranchers/farmers and tell them what you're looking for. Everyone else is beating their door down looking for a place to deer hunt, they'll love you wanting to shoot yotes! And, probably put you on some real good territory.

If you've never hunted the badlands, it can be a strange place to hunt at times. It'll look like flat and level prairie; you'll see critters, and then suddenly, they just disappear. Lots of washes coming off the hills across that flat land. We watched 4 mulies disappear one day, and we swore up and down that it was flat level prairie. Started walking out toward where we last saw them and found a wash there that had cottonwoods 35 - 40 feet high growing in it, and we couldn't see a leaf from across the flat and level prairie.

If you don't have reservations, drag a camper, or carry a tent, or something... Rooms are hard to come by out there during deer season. And, with the oil field goodies going on out there, I'm going to guess it will be just about impossible all overthat end of the state. Haven't been out there in several years, but most of the guys that planned on going out there during opening week of deer season, made reservations a year in advance. Helps if you know someone, which we did at the time, and he got us a room. You can try the motels in Medora, don't know if they're open for hunting season, there used to be one there that did stay open.

Shamrock in Wibaux used to put on some fantastic grub! If you left there hungry, you weren't human!! Might want to check into that. Opening weekend there'll be a feed in Beach on Friday night at the VFW.

Beautiful country, it'll spoil you! Be sure to take a good camera along, you'll want lots of pictures. North unit is much prettier than the South unit if you do any site seeing, deeper cuts, bigger hills. Whole lot rougher country up there.

Also check out the ND PLOTS program (Private Lands Open To Sportsmen) and MT's Block Management Program, they open a lot of private land to hunting. Also check out WMA's in the area your going to hunt as just a small WMA can get you calling out over a lot of private land.

BLM maps and/or a public lands chip for your GPS can be a big help as then you know exactly where private and public lands intersect, which is great in MT that has no trespass laws and few defining fences.

Camping in western ND can be an iffy proposition due the every expand oil patch, a tent or camper can be pitched on BLM land near the access road. You can get a shower at some of the truck stops.

Have a great time, I usually spend a couple of weeks in the fall out there chasing birds and coyotes. The dogs hips are shot so I'm staying home this year and just hunting ducks and coyotes.

Our hunting camp in E. MT

Another of my camps on BLM land in MT before we started using the dog trailer.

Last edited:

License info and guide...

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/furbearers/coyotes

ND Plots maps here...

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/private-land-open-sportsmen

ND WMA listing here...

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/wildlife-management-areas

If I'm not mistaken the PLOTS Map includes Wildlife Management Areas as well. Any license vendor should have a copy of those. Gander Mountain in Fargo is easy to find, south side of I-94 half mile or so west of the I-29 overpass. Sits in behind Applebees. (Costs me about $300 every time I walk through there, so take lots of cash!)

ND Game and Fish office is easy to find as well... When you come into Bismarck, exit 161, will put you on East Bismarck Expressway, turn south, it's about 2 miles. They're couple hundred yards south of the intersection of Main Avenue and Bismarck Expressway, right side of the road. Can't miss it! If you follow Bismarck Expressway further it'll turn to the west, Scheel's Sporting Goods is about 3 miles west of there on the south side of Kirkwood Mall. Continue west on Bismarck Expressway from there, it'll cross the Missouri into Mandan and take you back north to I-94.

Any of those should be able to provide you with a PLOTS/WMA map. May have the Grasslands map too.

skinney im dreaming alright....dreaming you would hurry your *** up with that 270 bushel corn so we can start knocking down some fur

Originally Posted By: FairChase93The fur is worth more than the corn this year:( just as well start hunting.

LOL... I hear ya... now, if I could only kill a few thousand a year!

Back