FLIR the ultimate spotting tool

BAYSTATE YOTE

Well Saturday night I caught site of a dog trying to be sneaky in the grass with the FLIR,Put the hurt on her and she spun and ran, dropped on the edge of the field, by the time I got down there all I saw was a heat signature in the grass, rats another crawl off!! But I new it could not get into brush where it was because of a heavy mesh fence, I climbed up on a pile of dirt and looked into this little clump of woods that is so freakin overgrown that is ridiculous!! Well sure enough thanks to The FLIR I caught the heat signature, I would never have found that dog with the night vision or a flash light.... Loaded up the dog and beat feet for home, happy that I did not have a crawl off...
I cant sleep when that happens,the thought of a dog suffering really bothers me..

I really use the FLIR InstaAlert mode allot for scanning as it takes allot of processing off my mind, and yes, we use it for finding downed game ALL THE TIME!!!

On a related note….Hunting the other night,the wife using the FLIR,me on the D740. She says "there is something on the edge of the field" so I look and I can see about 100 yards along the edge but I see nothing. Few minutes later she says "its back", again I look and see nothing. Few minutes later she says "Its a mouse for Pete's sake!" Seems to me its hard to judge range thru the FLIR so she thought she was looking further away than she was.We saw no predators that night but saw several mice! I was trying to find one in my scope so I could take a shot.
The game changers are really amazing! Don't even get me started about the stars in the D740.

LOL after years of day hunting,coyotes winning most of the time, its nice to turn the tables on them!!
Glad your taking your Mrs. along,James, thats awesome!!

Last edited:
The two best FLIR handhelds for game detection that I use are the PS-32 with 19mm lens and LS-64 with 35mm lens. I own more powerful FLIR thermal scanners, but these two are the ones I normally take with me all the time, and everyone will be very mad if we accidentally left them at home...

For finding downed game close in, the wide FOV of the PS-32 cannot be beat.

And it really takes allot of experience to be able to ID and judge distances, practice practice practice on a known environment that you are familiar with and know the ranges to better judge when you are in an environment you are not familiar with...

Well said Pup,night hunting is only for the calm,cool and collected,only...

Pup,you dont use the stock lense in your PS-32? or is the 19mm stock?

The PS32 has saved the night more than a few times for us also. The best money I've spent on hunting
Coyotes.
I sold more than a couple guns to buy one. Don't regret it one bit.
Thanks to all you guys who bought them and told us the pros\cons.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEWell said Pup,night hunting is only for the calm,cool and collected,only...

Pup,you dont use the stock lense in your PS-32? or is the 19mm stock?

The PS-32 now comes in two versions, the PS-32 and PS-32R.

The PS-32 is the one with the 19mm lens and real nice FOV. This is the one I would recommend for most people, especially for finding downed game in thick underbrush.

The PS-32R model has a 35mm lens and is for more long range detection, it does not work as well for finding close in downed game as it has 1/2 the FOV of the PS-32 with 19mm lens. It does have a much longer range detection though, out over 500-600 yards, similar to my LS-64-35mm but without the high resolution of the LS64.

If anyone knows anyone looking I am going to sell my RS64 1-8 Thermal Scope. I have owned it for about a month and a half. I will sell it and let someone save an even Thousand on a new one.

PM me or text me. 540-314-1199

I'm seriously considering getting a Flir Pathfinder setup....as in if one was sitting in a store at good price I would likely buy one.

Originally Posted By: Travis224I'm seriously considering getting a Flir Pathfinder setup....as in if one was sitting in a store at good price I would likely buy one.

My M-324 Pan/Tilt is the same thing but mobile:

Honda%20Front.jpg

Cab%20Interior.jpg

hehe, not only that but it works just awesome too.

It sees thermal signatures more than 3/4 mile away in the pitch dark and covers a WFOV, allot of times they are deer and I end up hiking a half mile to find out, but also sets me up for allot of hog removal shots too. It is like have super high beam headlamps but without any visible light!

Definitely a major game changer, everyone that goes out with me has a high success rate!

Hondini%20FLIR%20Finished.jpg

That is a really great system, Skypup. I can't imagine having something like that to hunt with. I am afraid I would end up getting in trouble with the wife because I would be spending all my time hunting. It's bad enough now with the minimal stuff that I have. I sure do have a high appreciation of Flir. I have a PS32, and have been using it some in the daytime too. Great locating tool. Can't find much information on the 32R, just what I've read here. It must be a really recent product.

Back