Badger

fantdl

I Had this badger come in about a month ago north of Wichita Falls. Only the 3rd one I have ever seen. The first one was about 30 years ago Near Ranger Texas and the second was Near Aspen Colorado both crossing a highway. This was the first ever I have seen while hunting.

very cool.. badgers are just cool looking and it's great to have them skinned and tanned with the claws on.

It is explained to me that if the hair on the top is the same length on the sides (usually in Feb and March) then they are worth money, otherwise the last prices i saw they are only worth $10.

But a very great prize to call and shoot.

Congrat.

Lucky hunt. Cant shoot them legally anymore here, only live trap. Since the shooting closure I see them yearly.
Like said, never worth much in my lifetime and a share of work to clean for $10.

These little guys are the reason that i don't like the rules for hunting at night in AZ..

They want you to go out like you are on a stand and call like you would during the day, with a spot light..
If you have ever called one in.. It's never a case of oh.. look there.. Its a badger coming from 100yrds away. It's almost always a case of seeing the grass move and they are within 30yrds or more and moving toward the sound.. It's always a shotgun deal in my case, and it's usually very close. They didn't name them badger and get the repuation they have for being like Prarie dogs.
Now imagine you are out there at night calling that that low moving pile of fur, with those nails is coming in at night.. Thanks but, I would rather sit in the back of the truck and call please.

I love the look of a badger next big one I kill I will have me a nice rug. I have only trapped 1 badger killed a few more. The coolest badger story ever was the time I had seen a yote on a sand dune while driving to the next stand, he went over the hill, I set up and started calling my partner said theres 2 yotes comin in. It turned out that a badger was following the yote into the call. I ended up killing the badger 2 inches from the dead yote.

I roped one once in my barn, thinking I would just drag him out. Ha within a minute I came flying out with him in hot pursuit. [beeep] those things can scoot and it was miserable getting my rope back.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I roped one once in my barn, thinking I would just drag him out. Ha within a minute I came flying out with him in hot pursuit. [beeep] those things can scoot and it was miserable getting my rope back.

Was that preceded by "hold my beer..."?

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatOriginally Posted By: tripod3I roped one once in my barn, thinking I would just drag him out. Ha within a minute I came flying out with him in hot pursuit. [beeep] those things can scoot and it was miserable getting my rope back.

Was that preceded by "hold my beer..."?

Might have been easier with beer.
Went to get my snowmobile in the barn and the dog had been whipped bad. then this badger starts hissing at me. He would not leave and dug in by the sled. They dig fast. So I put a water hose in the hole and head pops up but wont leave. Then comes the rope and action.

i have called three or four in and one night one looked at us when we were lighting and just ducked back in its hole,so i ran out and could grab its tail.and i did it growled and dug even faster and i could not get it out,i didn't want pull its tail off and i wasn't going to grab a leg because it could have spun a bit me,and if they bite you could lose all use of your hand because of their powerful bite. i ahot a big real furry one and had it mounted.they are not worht skinning to sell.

Badgers are interesting creatures with an attitude. We see them on a regular basis. Had one cross the road one day and stopped not far into the grass I pulled over and got out to get a good look. He saw me and turned and hissed - he wasn't very big.

Back