which Tikka 22-250

jk2paintworx

I have decided on a 22-250 Tikka for a designated coyote gun but I am a bit confused about the models. I looked on Bud's website and they show a JRTE314 for $510 It has a blued barrel but otherwise I cant tell the difference between the model the called T3 lite model JRTB314 That sells for $678.
Confusing part is the T3 lite weighs 6.8# and the other one (not listed as T3 Lite) weighs 6.6#
I dont care about the stainless barrel since I plan on hydrodipping it with camo but I want to make sure that its the same quality and functionability otherwise.
Both list the barrel as 22.4" 1:14T overall length 42.5"
At this point I am leaning towards the cheaper lighter non T3 Lite model.
If anyone knows of a good deal on a used one or better deal than $510 on a new one let me know.

I am not sure on the model I have ..... But I really love mine. I am shooting Sierra 53 grain hollow points and rifle shoots better than I can with my load using varget .

What do you guys not like about Tikka or 1:14? I am new to this and open to suggestions. I have looked at several rifles and the Tikka really felt right. One reason I like it is because I am a lefty that uses right handed rifles and the stock design allows me to cycle the bolt while keeping my hand on the grip and trigger finger ready without the back of the bolt hitting my hand.
As far as the 1:14 twist I don't have much of a opinion since all of my shooting experience has been rimfire and shotgun. Besides above reasons I feel that the Tikka seems very nicely built and felt like it was on par with more expensive guns.

What's wrong with 1:14 Tikkas guys??

I bought a Tikka T3 lite in 22-250 in the blued version. I got a real good deal on mine. It shoots very nice, and I like the trigger. I would prefer a 1-12 twist and haver that on a custom Remington chambered in 22-250 AI. This Tikka that I have works with 55gr Nosler BT's and lighter bullets.

I guess if I hunted in an area that requires "lead free" bullets, the faster twist would be nicer. So far the 1-14 works for me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice.
Tikkas are just fine and are quite popular as is the 1/14 twist. Guys that want to shoot heavier bullets like a faster twist.
I have and have owned many Tikkas without a single problem. Even better they are great shooters and a great trigger. Very smooth operating. 1/14 twist with 40-55 gr bullets in factory loads have been putting fur down for decades for me and countless others.
These rifles sell for a decent price and resale is very good, attesting to the popularity.
Tikka also offers left hand models.

I think there is an extra lite model as well. But you can always call and check. Personally Iove my tikka. Mine is 308. As far as twists for 22-250 go I don't own a 22-250 and can't help you on that one.

A faster twist will allow you to shoot and stabilize the longer for caliber bullets. This usually means heavier bullet options. A slower 14 twist is going to limit you to shorter (and therefore lighter) bullets. Now that they are making up to 80 gr 22 cal bullets, a faster twist rate may be more fitting for you, or at least give you more options.

These guys aren't high on the 1-14 twist, cause heavier bullets in the 22-250 is what many want to shoot. I like a faster twist myself, but I'll tell you the Tikka is as likely to shoot well as anything you can buy for $550 IMO, if you mean to shoot 55gr or less factory ammo. I had a T3 lite SS for 3 weeks or so, sold it to buy the same rifle in .243. I tried a couple different factory loads in the .22-250 while I had it, it shot sub-moa groups with Hornady 55 vmax custom ammo (that comes in the brown paper box, not the superformance). They have great triggers, a DBM, and as the name indicates very light and carryable. Throw something like a VX2 3-9 in Talley LW rings on it, and you have a $900ish rifle ready to go hunt.

If you do handload and might want to try heavier (or longer all copper)bullets, or you may want to customize it down the line, there are other suggestions we could make...

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxWhat rifles offered in 1:10 have the same quality as Tikka in the sub $500 range. Are Howa rifles any good?

I've heard mixed reports on the Howa, but I know some here have experience with them. I think they have a 1:14 twist as well. The only other $500 or less gun I know of to look at would be the Ruger American Predator. I have no experience with them, but I have seen guys talking them up. I believe they have the 1:10 twist

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhThese guys aren't high on the 1-14 twist, cause heavier bullets in the 22-250 is what many want to shoot. I like a faster twist myself, but I'll tell you the Tikka is as likely to shoot well as anything you can buy for $550 IMO, if you mean to shoot 55gr or less factory ammo. I had a T3 lite SS for 3 weeks or so, sold it to buy the same rifle in .243. I tried a couple different factory loads in the .22-250 while I had it, it shot sub-moa groups with Hornady 55 vmax custom ammo (that comes in the brown paper box, not the superformance). They have great triggers, a DBM, and as the name indicates very light and carryable. Throw something like a VX2 3-9 in Talley LW rings on it, and you have a $900ish rifle ready to go hunt.

If you do handload and might want to try heavier (or longer all copper)bullets, or you may want to customize it down the line, there are other suggestions we could make...

yes, what he said.

I know of 5 guys (not including myself) that have Tikka's and they all love them. I have one in 223 and I've been very happy with it also. I think they're a heck of a buy for 5-600 bucks out the door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxWhat rifles offered in 1:10 have the same quality as Tikka in the sub $500 range. Are Howa rifles any good?

I'm old school so the 14 twist doesn't bother me but I'd buy Howa before Tika regardless of twist rate.
That's just my personal preference and I'll admit that a friends Tika Varmint is the most accurate out of the box 250 I've ever seen but I still don't like em.

The .2# weight difference is probably just the difference between Stainles and Carbon steel.

Last edited:
I would take a Ruger American Predator twisted 1-10 over 75 free Tikka 1-14s with a LONG action/bolt stop chambered for a short action cartridge.

Of course, I would take most anything over a Tikka.

JMO.. ...

Thanks for the great info guys.
All of you Tikka haters are not giving any reasons of why you dont like em.
wink.gif
I am assuming that its because you own something else..?? Seems like everybody that owns or has shot one has nothing but good things to say.
I looked at the Ruger american and I liked it but the bolt doesnt clear my thumb when I keep my hand on the grip. I want to cycle the bolt with my right hand keeping left hand on the grip (fore grip supported by bipod) Imot sure if thats very common, but thats what I am used to from shooting prarie dogs lefty with a right handed rifle.

I have had the Howa/Weatherby. Besides not being able to get them to shoot satisfactorily with factory ammo, they were rough, with poor triggers. Resale was not good and actually ended up giving one away when I couldnt get it sold.
I have looked at the Rugar American with interest. It has many features that tend to mimic the Tikka. I dont believe the trigger is as good. If they were side by side for the same price I would buy the Tikka.
I would never buy any rifle based solely on a fast twist, although I do have a Sako with fast twist by chance. Sako and Tikka have since gone back to a slower twist in the last 3 years.
I believe Beretta/Tikka changed to fast twist in the .223 for 5 years then went back to a slower twist.

I have no experience with the Tikka but have read a lot about them. They seem to be good shooters for the most part from what I have seen. I do not think they are the best looking guns in my opinion but I own 2 savage rifles so I can't really talk haha. I'll take an ugly rifle that shoots good anyday because my guns tend to get beat up when hunting every now and then. The biggest thing is if YOU like it. You said that you handled it and like the way it feels and functions being a lefty shooting a right handed rifle which tells me it is comfortable to you and that is important in my opinion. As far as the 1:14 twist, I have the same twist rate in my 22-250 and have no issues with it. I have shot 55 gr factory ammo through it and it shot very well. I have had no need to go any heavier than that because I just use it for coyotes and smaller game out to 300 maybe a bit past if the chance presents itself. My rifle really shines in the 40-50 gr bullet weight and thats what I prefer anyways. This is just my opinion. Good luck with your choice and I hope you enjoy it!

Shelton

Back