CZ 455 Upgrades?

Dixiedog1

I'm going to see what the CZ is capable of and do a few mods. My plans so far are

1) Yodave trigger kit (I was going to try a DIP adjustable sear but they are on backorder with no delivery estimate yet)

2) I replaced the BKL rings with CZ factory steel rings...I upgrade the scope from the Cabelas .17 Tactical to a Burris FFII 4.5-14 X 42MM AO scope. The BKL rings didn't have good % cleanup even after excessive lapping and they were a bit tall for a good cheek well...the Cabelas scope lacked clarity at higher magnifications and the trajectory comp was not accurate so it had nothing to offer over a better quality conventional scope

3) I'm going to polish the bolt to see if I can't smooth the action a bit...the bolt movement is dry so far with about 300 shots into it I'm still not feeling it smooth out so I'll polish it with some 3M Superfine soft back sanding pads and I think that will fix that up.

4) I'm going to polish the ramp to help feeding issues with the .17 hmr barrel..hopefully this will prevent stoppages when trying to load a shell slowly.

Is there anything else folks typically upgrade on these rifles?

Go to Rimfire Cental in the CZ forum. IMO, not much needs to be done to them. I'd buy a DIP sear over a YoDave or Poor Man's Trigger Job.

Is it an American or Varmint? There's been a few issues with Varmint barrels.

P.S. I like the BKL rings. If I were to switch it up, I'd go with Burris.

Originally Posted By: DoogerGo to Rimfire Cental in the CZ forum. IMO, not much needs to be done to them. I'd buy a DIP sear over a YoDave or Poor Man's Trigger Job.

Is it an American or Varmint? There's been a few issues with Varmint barrels.

P.S. I like the BKL rings. If I were to switch it up, I'd go with Burris.

I would have liked to have gotten a DIP sear over a Yodave kit but couldn't find any available so the Yodave kit won out. Later on I may install a DIP sear to compare to the Yodave kit...it will depend on how good the trigger feels with the Yodave kit. If it feels light and crisp I'll probably stop there, no sense in messing up a good thing.

It is an American.

The thing I didn't like about the BKL rings besides my own mitake of ordering high rings is that the set I purchased wasn't even close to round. When I started to lap my rings I was barely touching the center of the lower ring halves...I kept going tightening the rings as I went until I had minimal gap between the ring halves and I still didn't have nearly 75% cleanup on the bottom rings. My alignment pointers were also not aligned with the rings out of the package...I know BKL says there is no need to lap their rings but if the rings don't line up they need it. I think they state the no lapping so if you get a bad set like I did you won't know the difference
thumbdown.gif

Here's a pic of the BKL rings after significant lapping

I installed the factory CZ rings and the pointers lined up perfectly so I just mounted the scope with no lapping. The CZ's also have match marks on them to keep the top halves lined up correctly with the bottoms which is a good idea in my opinion.

Just for my good buddy Repete I may have to compare this CZ with the .22 barrel to my Ruger TD 10/22
tt2.gif

A Lilja barrel would be the ultimate upgrade, probably the best one you could make. But would it really be considered a CZ after all that? Lol.. I have a cz 455 varmint in 17 hmr that's only been fired a few times sitting in the box right now I'm thinking about trading away. With my two 22 mags, it just doesn't get the nod over them..

Back