Building my first AR 243 wssm

Joshysquash81

I've never built an AR before but I've watched enough videos and read enough material I have a pretty good idea how its done. Only thing I'm not sure of is what is and isn't interchangeable with the .223 and 243 wssm AR. I know the bolt and barrel but what else. Basically I'm asking what do I need different than a normal AR 15 build to build one in 243 wssm. Thanks for the advice.

If his wait time isn't what you're looking for...I might be persuaded to release mine.

Less than 50 rounds down since I got it back from him last year. Haven't even tried working up a load yet. Just used up some of my old stuff.

Bought it to serve double duty on coyotes and deer, but now I've got different rifles that serve each purpose better.

Building your own AR is educational and fun. Go for it.
But it's not for everyone.
I built a 243 caliber upper for my S&W MP10 .308 lower. Shoots great, low recoil, and shoots the 70 gr's 3000 fps out of a 16 inch barrel. The 80gr Bergers truck along at 2900fps and put a wild hog DRT. The 80's are not fur friendly on yote though.

I was going to do this last year. I bought a wssm bolt to get started. BUT, I was unable to find anyone who would sell a barrel extension to fit the wssm. So, work is at a halt.

Originally Posted By: ClaysshotgunnerI was going to do this last year. I bought a wssm bolt to get started. BUT, I was unable to find anyone who would sell a barrel extension to fit the wssm. So, work is at a halt.

I'm surprised you got that far.

Good luck with your endeavor. The parts you seek are all proprietary and nobody will sell you those parts individually. I tried that a few years ago. This is one area where you just need to bite the bullet and purchase a complete upper.

I haven't seen any bags of brass for two years. I saw some loaded 243 WSSM last month. I just looked all over the net and none is in stock.

Greg

Last edited:
I thought it might be more available in other places. Its hard to even give away a WSSM gun in central Tx. I see nearly new model 70 shadows going for $300 and down due to no ammo

The Wssm in a bolt action is definitely dead but in an AR they are the hot ticket. Factory Ammo is non existent as far as I can tell and brass is equally hard to find. I think Mike Milli is close to being out of brass, I purchased 1000 new pieces of brass 2 yrs ago and have been sitting on it.

They must have every piece of that in the US. I had never heard of that outfit. I've got 500 25's so I'm set but if I had a 223 that would be super.

Greg

Last edited:
Nice!

To bad they dont have any 458 socom brass.....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresThe Wssm in a bolt action is definitely dead but in an AR they are the hot ticket. Factory Ammo is non existent as far as I can tell and brass is equally hard to find. I think Mike Milli is close to being out of brass, I purchased 1000 new pieces of brass 2 yrs ago and have been sitting on it.

Midway USA has it on shelf so does Brownells that's just the name a few you can still find it.

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: WhoCaresThe Wssm in a bolt action is definitely dead but in an AR they are the hot ticket. Factory Ammo is non existent as far as I can tell and brass is equally hard to find. I think Mike Milli is close to being out of brass, I purchased 1000 new pieces of brass 2 yrs ago and have been sitting on it.

Midway USA has it on shelf so does Brownells that's just the name a few you can still find it.

I checked them for brass today and they had none listed for the 243 in stock.

Greg

Back