Traveling Hunt

venatic

I decided to stop on the way to Colorado elk hunting to give my new Horizon Firearms 22 Creedmoor a little break-in on coyotes.
Seems to be good although on the smaller coyotes at bad angles it blew them up pretty bad so it's definitely not a Bobcat fur saver but that's not what I got it for.I am loading 75gr AMaxes at around 3400fps so it puts them down with authority when hit solid.
Rolled in right at dark and got two right by the camp.I took this picture of them as I left the next day at lunch.

First stand next morning called three got two.A little rusty since I have not hunted since last March and had to shoot one twice and took it's head off on the second shot thus the hidden head to keep the picture cleaner.

Next stand was crazy but to keep the story short I called 4 and ended up with two after missing a 100 yard chip shot I got one at 309 yards and the other at 368.

Next stand I got a big male sneaking in so I took him at 182 yards when he stopped to check things out.

I had to get on the road but hit one spot on the way back to grab my stuff at camp and rolled up another double one at 118 yards and the other bugging out at just over 300 yards.

Out of the nine 4 were YOY and the other 5 were adults. Did not notice any mange either which is good.
My elk hunt while fun was not as fruitful. Saw dozens of Moose and antelope but no elk. Weather was warm and sunny so not conducive to lots of movement.

looks like ya did a bit more then "break it in"
cool.gif
thats a great day right there.

Originally Posted By: tt35Great shooting, David! Awesome action. My deer tag is going to have to make soup as well.
frown.gif

Yep. For me that will be an expensive pot of soup too.
grin.gif

5spd said:
Good calling action & results.
Darned about no elk for which was the main plate reason for going.

[/quote

It was not a total bust. My customer and a fellow employee got shots and killed one cow. I drove and brought the guns and ice chests and met them at the Denver airport. The group ended up with two Bulls and a Cow but I was always in the wrong area.
frown.gif

I seemed to always be in the Moose spots.
lol.gif

Back