Rare albino deer bagged by 11-year-old

hm1996

Staff member

Gavin Dingman, 11, poses with albino deer; photo via Facebook

Quote:Rare albino deer bagged by 11-year-old

October 22, 2014 by Pete Thomas

Michigan's Gavin Dingman shoots white animal with crossbow on hunting trip with his father; story generates wide range of emotional feedback.

An 11-year-old Michigan hunter last week killed a rare albino deer while on a hunting trip with his father.

This week, the story is generating a wide range of emotional feedback on Facebook.

Gavin’s father, Mick Dingman, told WZZM 13 that he and his son had spotted the white deer several times in recent the years, and that other hunters had talked about trying to bag the animal.

An admittedly nervous Gavin used a crossbow from 30 yards to harvest the 12-point trophy buck, and the news quickly spread in hunting circles.

“He kind of feels like a rock star right now,” Mick Dingman said. “Everyone is calling, all of the hunting shows and hunting magazines.”

Sentiments being expressed on the WZZM 13 Facebook page, where the albino deer story has been shared more than 4,000 times, are somewhat mixed.

“He should have let it live. There are plenty of others out there,” reads one of hundreds of comments.

“If it’s rare, why the [beeep] would he kill it?” reads another.

“I’m fine with hunting, just hate the ‘Hey look, it’s different, let’s shoot it’ ideas. Shoot it with a camera and let the unique one live,” reads yet another.

Deer-hunting in Michigan is an extremely popular pastime, so it’s not surprising that so many wrote in defense of Gavin Dingman.

“Get over it. The law says it’s legal. Back off the kid!!! Way to go kiddo!!” reads one comment.

“He paid good money for his license. He can use it for anything HE chooses, ” reads another. “Whether it be a brown deer or an albino buck, the state of Michigan gave him permission to kill it. Leave the kid alone. He did nothing wrong. He harvested a great trophy.”

Some of the commenters criticized WZZM 13 for posting the story on Facebook, opening Gavin to criticism.

“WZZM should stick with reporting news, not trying to make an 11-year-old boy feel guilty for shooting a deer, during deer season,” reads one comment.

Albino deer and leucistic deer (not a true albino) possess genetic defects that cause the white pigmentation.

Some native cultures revere the white animals, and believe that they possess the spirits of ancestors.

This story brings to mind the killing last October of a rare albino “spirit moose” in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Three hunters involved in that expedition were harshly criticized on social media sites, and ultimately issued a formal apology to the Mi’kmaq people.

It’s unclear whether any native groups have spoken out against Gavin Dingman’s killing of the white deer in Michigan.

The boy’s description of his big moment: “My dad was just like, ‘Take a deep breath. Are you sure you can take the shot? If you’re not 100 percent, we don’t want to injure it.’ ”

The family plans to pay a taxidermist to create a full body mount of the deer.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/rare-albino-deer-bagged-11-year-old/

Regards,
hm

Sweeeeeet. Kid will be famous for a couple months! When he's old he can look back at all his pics in the hunting magazines that will be beating his door down soon.

Reading the story reminds me of a recent topic on Facebook in the predator hunting forum... Have to go give the boy positive feedback to counter the anti rhetoric...

If I shot it I would keep it on the down low out of respect for the native cultures believing it posses the spirit of their ancestors... But other than that - the tree huggers can go take a hike... I think it is great a kid got it... I am sure his father is proud...

Once in a lifetime buck, why do the left-wing bunny hugging dimwits have to try and rain on his parade? Didn't find her but I'm sure snow's momma is there somewhere!

That's a very mature buck for an albino. If it's time had come, I'm glad to see it was taken by a youngster with an arrow.

I never heard that and don't believed the hear say. They are rare and I have seen a lot of pieball deer and my Cuz shot one few years back but the albino breed same as we do they just are white and I dontt believe it to be albino cause its eyes seem to be brown and it ears don't look pink on the inside albino,s have no pigiment that's why there eyes look pink and so do the rest of there flesh and skin I think its just a white deer like the ones in new York one the army base

Good for the kid, some people will raise heck about anything. Albinos and piebalds are protected here. Surprising it lasted that long, you would think it would really stand out.

I'd tell the natives to go pound sand...given the opportunity the natives where I live would shoot it in a heartbeat, after dark on private land with spotlights from a moving vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Reading the story reminds me of a recent topic on Facebook in the predator hunting forum... Have to go give the boy positive feedback to counter the anti rhetoric...

If I shot it I would keep it on the down low out of respect for the native cultures believing it posses the spirit of their ancestors... But other than that - the tree huggers can go take a hike... I think it is great a kid got it... I am sure his father is proud...

Just heard on the radio the poor kid is getting death threats now.

Like I always say.....you want to see the worst in people just bring deer hunting into the mix.

That's very rare trophy.
thumbup.gif

Back