1st timer

sagetrecker

Okay so this year will be skinning coyotes and stretching and pulling with some yelling. I am just trying to figure out what i need to get started. My first question is about fleshing beams what size should i get. I seen 5 to 8 inches so far. Is their a role of thumb on how to decide what fleshing beam to use. Thanks many more questions to come.

Last edited:
Okay so i skinned my 1st coyote. Got down to the neck and hit the juggler. Can i wash the pelt or should i just flesh it and get it on the stretcher

The next day.

You're in a pretty dry environment, you can probably turn after 12 hours.... wouldn't hurt to rub some borax on it if you are nervous about it.

good luck.

I tumble my coyotes now after fleshing but before I had a tumbler I would just borax the bloody spot pretty heavy as well as completely cover the leather side with borax after fleshing and put it in the stretcher. Once the hide is dry the blood combs out very easily thanks to the borax.

I've heard some guys use peroxide. The higher concentration one that is 20-28 percent. They just spray it on and the blood melts away. I rinse in cold water no detergent until the water runs clear,hang to dry fur out, then board skin out the next day.

DON'T DO THAT..
Your hide will be next to worthless if you start dying the hair. Peroxide will bleach the hair. lol

You tube has more instructions. I made a few for the starter in mind. There is another guy that i will post that does a lot of coyotes and seems to have it down.

Don't worry about the blood on the hide. when it dries it's on inside and not an issue. Just wash the pelt, and ring it out. Don't spin or twirl them around, thats just nasty and doesn't work. Its funny though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E56TbpYR8lg&list=UUPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

Back