hit by a rattler today

Originally Posted By: jhartwig24 I've never even seen a poisonous snake in the wild

And you never will.

Don't get twisted about being corrected, i'm just letting you know the difference. Snakes are not poisonous, they are venomous. Same thing? No, not at all. Venom has to absorbed into the blood stream, poison has to be ingested. If venom is ingested, it's harmless, absorbed into the bloodstream via injection, it is toxic.

Everybody knows what you mean, but people in the know on the topic get sand in their shorts when the two terms are used interchangeably. It's like when someone here says "clip" when referring to a magazine.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762Noticed the camera backing up when he would strike...

yeah. couldnt help it. it was hard not to react. lol

True, true.

This is one I jumped out of the truck and just about stepped on.

See a lot of them around Utah every year. Couple of the ones I had a camera handy for.

20130525_Indian%20Canyon_Rattlesnake-13CW.jpg

20130516_Wendover-STG_Offroad-118W.jpg

Can't say I've ever had one hung up in my pants.

- DAA

I deal with the little varmints everyday during the summer. This was the only rattler I got this year and to tell ya the truth thought it was a light color phased copperhead at first.

Here's some of the copperheads I killed this summer.

Yikes I do believe I would have jumped out of my skin. Had a bad experience with a few water moccasins one day. All I can say is they wanted in the boat and my 7'6" flipping stick with a 1/2oz jig made some short work of them still freaks me out even when I see harmless water snakes lol

Originally Posted By: Leadbelly

Crotalus Horridus, also more commonly referred to as a CaneBrake. They can be incredibly beautiful snakes with very intricate patterns on them.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Leadbelly

Crotalus Horridus, also more commonly referred to as a CaneBrake. They can be incredibly beautiful snakes with very intricate patterns on them.

Chupa

Don't know about all dem dar big words, but ole pap calls it his new hat band
smile.gif

Personally, I think CaneBrakes are the best looking domestic snakes, followed by a light colored Trans Pecos Copperhead. But if you have ever seen a brightly colored Gaboon Viper, that is the coolest camo that I know of in the animal kingdom. Evil looking snakes, but very doscile and for as large as they are, they just disappear in leaf litter. So do CaneBrakes.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyPersonally, I think CaneBrakes are the best looking domestic snakes, followed by a light colored Trans Pecos Copperhead. But if you have ever seen a brightly colored Gaboon Viper, that is the coolest camo that I know of in the animal kingdom. Evil looking snakes, but very doscile and for as large as they are, they just disappear in leaf litter. So do CaneBrakes.

Chupa

tt2.gif
if you look really close there is one rattle and a button
tt2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rimrock1Here is a California snake. It rattled at me from about 20 feet.

Crotalus Oreganus Oreganus, Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. They rattle pretty freely, had 5 of them and they rattled any time the door opened to the hot room.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: Smokin250Were those pics taken in KY Lead Belly?

Yes
thumbup.gif

That's NUTS!! Im not very far from KY, probably far enough from you though. Just east of me guys see copper heads and eastern diamonds. I have only seen one copper head....it I figured out his location when he was between my legs...not fun feeling atall...especially considering im like a 6 year old school girl when it comes to snakes.

Quote:That's NUTS!! Im not very far from KY, probably far enough from you though. Just east of me guys see copper heads and eastern diamonds. I have only seen one copper head....it I figured out his location when he was between my legs...not fun feeling atall...especially considering im like a 6 year old school girl when it comes to snakes.

Sixty some years ago, I got on my first deer lease in S. Texas. This ranch was in an area known for an abundance of 6'+ rattlesnakes.

Near the end of our 6-7 week season we were sitting around enjoying the campfire one evening and the topic of rattlesnakes came up. After listening to several tales, some quite hair raising, I commented that I had not seen a single rattler all year. The "old fellow" sitting next to me (He would probably be 20 years my junior today.
frown.gif
) replied, "well.......let me tell ya, sonny, you been real close to some biguns!
scared.gif

He was, of course, right and every time I'm wading through waist deep grass, those words send a chill up my spine.

Regards,
hm

Back