Do coyotes have a smell ??

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo I have also picked up the scent of quail that have recently been in an area, they smell musty and dusty.

have you ever had the urge to go on point or lift you leg on a tire or fire hydrant?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMo I have also picked up the scent of quail that have recently been in an area, they smell musty and dusty.

have you ever had the urge to go on point or lift you leg on a tire or fire hydrant?

I dont care who you are...that's funny right there!!!!
Seriously, thanks again for all the replies fellas!!

More composting of dead pigs now, before composting the coyotes had the odor of ripe pig. Very distint (pun not intended) but only noticeable inside 30 feet. Many would have diarrhea and for several years seemed that half had mange.

for me its when I skin them, they stink! I like red fox to me it smells good. A coyote that reeks could have lice, they smell like something rotten and hair looks nasty

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMo I have also picked up the scent of quail that have recently been in an area, they smell musty and dusty.

Wow
lol.gif
lol.gif

I've smelled them before when hunting close cover shotgun areas. To me they smell like rotten garbage mixed with a womans locker room after a 5k run,and it seems the further into the winter it gets the more rank they are.

Originally Posted By: ultramagTo me they smell like rotten garbage mixed with a womans locker room after a 5k run

you know what a womans locker room smells like?
sneaky2.gif

Knowing what a woman's locker room smells like could get you on the sex offenders list or peeping Tom reputation in your community...
lol.gif

Sum of these replies are interesting... I pay more attention to what the coyotes nose is smelling than what mine is smelling... We all agree they do in fact smell...

I believe the main source of odor comes from their urine and scent glands which is used to communicate with other coyotes... My pet dog instinctively rolls in cow manure and dead animals... I think the coyote does the same, kinda as their own attempt at a cover scent while hunting... It also leaves the coyotes scent on the remains of the dead animal, maybe to boost and say "I did this!!!"

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot you know what a womans locker room smells like?
sneaky2.gif

Yah, don't you ?
Back when I played varsity football and we were the visiting team, we used the girls locker room at their school !!
Coaches kept a pretty close eye on us for foolishness, they knew us darn well ..
cool.gif

I walked out to call this area in WY, got sat down slight breeze in my face, reached into pockets for calls, no calls, left em in the truck. So I decided to call with my voice instead of walking back to the truck, I was at least 3/4 mile out.
I had my dog with me, I start calling like a human baby crying, off and on like I would a rabbit in distress. Nothing for a awhile, then I felt a breeze on the back of my neck, crap I'm thinkng, not what I wanted. Then I realized I could smell coyote real strong, like I spilled pee on me while trapping the day before. I slowly sniffed my self, top of shoulders, no its not me!
Then the breeze went back into my face. I always wondered did I use a sage bush as a backing to break up my outline, that a coyote pee'd on or did one walk in behind me, and somehow the dog laying there missed it?
I'm thinking I had one come in behind me and I smelled it, it was that close

Last edited:
Back