How do you scout?

sansooshooter7

Hello Everyone

So how do you scout?

do you use calls?

scout at day or night?

what do you look for?

Do you plan areas and entries into the area?

thanks

Bob

So how do you scout?

Word of mouth is hard to beat, if someone tells you they hear them howling here or there, I go there.

If i'm starting from scratch I'll start topographically via google earth and go from there. If it looks like an area that would hold predators (and is legally huntable) i'll mark it down and then go check it out in person when i'm in the area. I usually just walk field edges, swamp edges or softwoods meeting hardwoods looking for scat/tracks and you can make pretty short work of an area and have a good idea if they're there or not.

do you use calls?

I personally don't, others might.

scout at day or night?

Generally daytime. If i'm just howling an area checking for activity i'll do that at night.

what do you look for?

Scat, tracks, kill sites, small game and food sources. Easy travel corridors.

Do you plan areas and entries into the area?

It's nice to have a few parking areas to get into a spot that way you have some options based on how the wind is. Thats in a perfect world...especially once the snow starts flying and all your great parking spots are snow banks. Some of my better spots only have one way in so I won't even bother going unless the wind is right.

I'm still green but some of these tactics have worked for me. Good luck!

I like to go out a day or so after a rain. I drive around the roads on the pastures I hunt and check the cow trails for tracks. Our pasture type country has a lot of high grass, and the Yotes use the cow trails to travel.

Originally Posted By: matt_nelsonScout as you hunt. Time well spent

That's how I do it. My most recent day of scouting new country.

20140927_Coyote%20Hunt-6W.jpg

This was a day of scouting too, had never laid eyes on any of this ground before.

20131108_Coyote%20Hunt-9W2.jpg

Same-same with this one, all new ground.

IMG_2544.jpg

I should go back to that last spot, one of these days. That was four, five years ago and I have not been back since.

- DAA

Never felt the need to scout in advance, I can step outside sometimes and hear them running the golf course on the edge of town. My bigger concern is finding an area where they haven't been chased 5 miles with pick-ups. I'll bet they're out there in the areas you're considering, take a gun. And yes, just like hunting deer, etc. plan the best route to get in unseen with the wind in your favor on any given day.

Dave putting fur on the ground. I really hope to share pictures like that some day. I have some prime country that I was in last weekend but the weather and winds got the best of the day and I headed home early but not before seeing a large coyote hauling tail as I drove up the road. I'll be back out there soon enough to see that dog again hopefully.

Back