Rebarrell options

KTM300

I'm considering re barreling a Kimber pro varmint and was wondering what something like this should cost? Barrell suggestions, ect. Thanks for your input.

Lots of custom barrel makers, and they each have a following. What is the best, depends on who you ask. You have lots of choices, and if you stay with a popular barrel maker, you will be fine. You can spend anywhere from $200-$400 for just the barrel. Getting it chambered and installed will run you $150-$200 depends on the smith. Several barrel makers will do this work for you, but there is usually a long wait, and you have to ship them your action.

Here is a place to start.

accurateshooter.com barrels

Originally Posted By: KTM300I'm considering re barreling a Kimber pro varmint and was wondering what something like this should cost? Barrell suggestions, ect. Thanks for your input.

How in the he11 do you expect someone to suggest a barrel when you don't even state the chambering or planned usage?

You bought a Kimber pro varmint and now you want a new barrel, why? If you change the barrel the value of the Kimber is cut in half. Sell the Kimber and build a rifle.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: KTM300I'm considering re barreling a Kimber pro varmint and was wondering what something like this should cost? Barrell suggestions, ect. Thanks for your input.

How in the he11 do you expect someone to suggest a barrel when you don't even state the chambering or planned usage?

Careful...You might get banned......

I would do a build on that action they are the coolest action I have ever payed my hands on I have an 84m varmint and love it very very accurate finicky to get it there but when I did look out one hole shooter!!! U kinda only have two options pulled button or cut rifled. I have a couple of each I have shilen douglas mcgowen pacnor lilja and Brux. Of those listed for me I e had two pacnor barrels and will never own another one lots of guys have had great luck with them but not me and a lot of other guys who have had the same problems as myself. I've also had two douglas barrels they are both excellent shooters. If I do any more builds I will be using Brux or lilja barrels they both shot unreal right off the bat and cleaned up super easy and don't foul out. I recently put together a rifle and used a prefit mcgowen barrel it is still very new to me I don't have 100 rounds through it yet but it shoots extremely well but it catches a lot of copper so I'm still up in the air on it if I'd use another one I don't think they are on the same level as a Brux but if it shoots I don't care and it shoots great. I hope this helps u have a great platform to work with if u keep the stock which I would they are very comfortable stocks and they are glass and pillar bedded so really is all you'd have to do is replace to barrel and let her rip

Thanks for the advise. Some flaming but oh well. Its a .204 and love the cartridge, so much in fact that I've now have several thousand down the tube and accuracy is starting to slip. I want another .204 and love the kimber so much, and it has so much sentimental value to me that I can't bring myself to send it down the road. I've never rebarelled anything before and the Pac Nor looked good. Thanks for the advise to steer away. Hoping to keep the job under $600, is that realistic? Looking at sheilen right now, what's the verdict on those?

Lots of good smiths out there a straight rebarrel could be done for around $600, give moon at crescent customs a call, he uses bartlein barrels mostly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1badsheeLots of good smiths out there a straight rebarrel could be done for around $600, give moon at crescent customs a call, he uses bartlein barrels mostly.

Yes.
$350 for a barrel and $250 for chambering and installation is pretty much the going rate.
Bartlein and Krieger are both good choices.
thumbup1.gif

Since you have a shooter and not a safe queen, I doubt you'd loose much value, though to have Kimber re barrel it, if they do, would keep your investment value. Pac-Nor has a good reputation at my club. You might have to adjust the bolt head, if you go to a larger caliber with this rifle. Sounds like a good excuse to go by a second rifle

For my small caliber I have always had great accuracy and have been very happy with Lilja barrels. For other rifles I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major barrel makers. I personally really like Bartlein 5r (cut rifled).

I did have a pacnor once and I can't say it was bad but I just felt for the cost the quality was not there. Just my opinion.

I personally don't really see the need or value in having Kimber do the work unless you are worried about resale. Which you already stated is not your concern. I don't really think you will loose that much value going with a custom barrel and reputable smith.

Nick

Back