Montana wolf hunting just got a little easier!!!!!!!

Just picked up a 6.8 and a 6.5 grendel(sp?) uppers. Which one is the best for killn wolves? In your opinion.

Originally Posted By: BailJust picked up a 6.8 and a 6.5 grendel(sp?) uppers. Which one is the best for killn wolves? In your opinion.
I think they both have their place. I built a 6.8SPC with an 18" barrel for wolves. It had great thump inside 300yds, but I saw em at 500ish yds a couple times and the 6.8 is pretty low on power(and dropping quick) at anything much past 400yds. It was sold for a 7mm rem mag wolf gun. I thought about building a Grendel, but ammo, brass, etc are hard to find in my area, so was the 6.8 for that matter (plus I'm set up to reload the 7mm). I like the reach of the Grendel better than the 6.8, but the Grendel needs at least a 20" barrel to do it (ideally 24"). Still, the Grendel and the 6.8 are pretty close till 300yds ish, then the Grendel really takes over. I'd use a Grendel over the 6.8, but if your shots are close, either is great.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Grendel is the one then. No idea what my shots are gonna be. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster01I love hunting those dogs. Nothing better than having them in your sights. Had one sneek up behind me. Oh yes he lost We would love to see a pic of it. You said Dog? or was it a Wolf? Either way pics are cool. Please post them.

So far... not so good. Saw fairly fresh tracks every time I elk hunted this year, but I've only had a couple days since big game ended to really get out and chase em. Maybe Saturday will be my day.

Got back home Friday from Montana! What beautiful country! We got our leg work done within a day and half, got access to a real nice parcel of land in the Paradise Valley area! They had seen 3 wolves there the day before and were actually trying to get a shot at them and lost them in the snow! Enter me and the nephew, we scour the area and pick our access and here comes the wind! Wind was the name of the game while we were there and greatly impeded our hunt (That's why it's called hunting and not killing!) We did cut some old tracks and followed the elk herd but to avail. To sum it up though I would have to say I have never met any finer people than the folks that we met there! They invited us into their homes as if they had known us forever! So this hunt will go down as very successful hunt because of the new friends made and the door was left open if we ever come back, let me rephrase that,when we go back!

Furdog- Glad to hear you had a good time in MT. We're pretty proud of our state, and I like to think we have the people to back it up. Sorry we couldn't provide you with an extra bit of fur to take home. The Parardise Valley is known for 2 things- winds... and high winds ( I worked as a roofer for a few years in Bozeman, we got over to that side of the pass more often than I would have liked to...) It is easy on the eyes though. Come on up to the North West for your next trip, we've got the looks, but without the winds
wink.gif

Mutthunter, heard a lady say her mother in St.Mary said the winds up there were clocked at 130 mph a week ago Sunday! We got back down to Livingston that afternoon and they said 116 mph there! Crazy Wind! That is Hurricane type winds!

I had 3 for sure howling/barking at us on Sat. I saw three but there sounded like another off to the left. They came into about 800 yards and wouldnt come any closer. Im sure it was our setup. We were coyote hunting and were only about 500 yards from the road.

Furdog- It wasn't quite that bad here, but I'm on the west side of the divide. My uncle is working on a house near Cutbank. The wind picked up the entire roof- trusses sheeting, everything, in one huge piece and dropped it 50 yards away. The storm set wind gust records all over the east side of the state.

phutch- I was up there on Monday and had 2 run across the highway between Dickey and Murphy Lakes. It was 2:30 in the afternoon, and they were just trotting along without a care in the world. It wouldn't have been tough to give em something to worry about, but there was so much traffic that they got a free pass. Same thing happened a month or so ago by Upper Stillwater. We gotta get serious about thinning these dang things down!

Mutthunter. Good to hear that there is someone else on here that knows the area I hunt at times. I have had good luck across the highway from Murphy lake ranger station. There's a few wolfs up that hill. I pulled two coyotes out of there last year. If you haven't hunted it. Do, you won't be disappointed. Good luck

Back