bait question

droopy

so my wife brought home a ton of chicken livers. would they be a decent coyote bait as is or should I grind them up and mix with something? this is my first year and over the first four days of the season I haven't gotten anything, been only using lures(canine force and gusto) and fox urine. tracks were all over the place preseason and now I cant get the buggers in my traps so I wanted to add some bait to my arsenal. thanks for any help

Last edited:
I have never tryed it but should work. The scent post set worked the best for me dirt holes work but the scent post they can't resist and I would give a place 7 days before pulling traps and don't walk to the set check from a distance with binos or a scope. If u walk by u set they know something is off and will avoid the set because of it

If you are not getting action with lures and urine, bait probably won't help much...in fact it may just increase your not target catch of skunks, possums, coons or even crows/ravens depending how you use it.

Are you confident on your scent control, set location and construction?

Just my $.02

TS

are the tracks still there? are you seeing sign of critters. if yes then what was stated about scent and such is true. if the sign is not there now you have to go find them , or wait them out. here in NJ our yotes are on a 10 to 15 day circuit. if I see the sign for 2 days I know for the next 10 to 15 hey will not be here. just food for thought.

as new as I am I'm not confident much lol. I do worry about scent as I'm a boiler tech and handle fuel oil all day and worry that my skin and clothes might smell like fuel. not really seen much sign lately but its been monsoon like for the past week. i'll give them another week and then move on if still nothing I guess

I think you should grind it and use it as prebait in dirthole type sets. Sift the dirt so you can read tracks. If they will work the prebait in first or second night then your odor and set location are good to go. Then only problem is equipment contamination.

If you smell like fuel oil all the time that might be a problem...but not one you can't overcome...what spot said above is good...if you are the problem try to think of a place where a coyote might run into that scent on his daily rounds (it probably won't be at a real dirt hole or scent post) and design a set around that.

Maybe an oilcan laying along the side of a road as a backing for a flat set with bait only. just throwing it out...I have set old campsites where I have put a little bait in a rusty can and set the traps in the ashes of the fire ring. lots of human scent and trash laying around but I noticed the coyotes were rummaging through all this stuff.

Coyote are not spooked by human scent alone...only when they find it in the "wrong" place...if you can't get rid of it use it to your advantage.

TS

when i was working in the oilfeild i had the same problem that stuff getts into your skin you just have to ware long gloves and waders all the time do the same things a deer hunter will do and change in the feild dont touch the outside of them any more than you have to its a pain at first but you get use to it now i spend my days with horses and dont think i smell human anymore on stand i have coyotes come from down wind all the time like ithey dont smell anything but horse so you really must take on the smell you are around all the time you just have to overcome them i had coyotes come out of places no one would think they were at they would normally wind you and never be seen been back doored with them comeing close enough that i could hit them with the butt of the gun most came off ridges must have been beded up there

still no yotes even though there has been sign of them in the area. I did get a red fox off the line this morning though and a grey fox from a few feet away the other day. seems strange to me that with nine acres covered in traps that only two traps have produced and they are within twenty feet of each other

Back