Sow Nailed in Backyard

Another ear shot on a 350 pound boar at 75+ yards at night with the suppressed SIG 556 and FLIR T-70 in my backyard right behind the house.

Once I get the video organized, it will become evident why the FLIR 60 and T-70 0.5X magnification is so wonderful for night hogging.

I saw this boar from 200 yards away while walking with my FLIR LS-64 and could not tell if it was a hog or a deer as I also saw four bedded down deer within a hundred yards of this boar hog. I did not have my rifle with me and had to go back to the house to get it and come back out and relocate the boar hog, who had moved quite a bit from where I had first spied him with the LS-64.

Due to the large live oak trees and the underbrush, I was happy for the Red InstaAlert on the LS-64 and was able to relocate a red hot thermal signature in deep brush behind a large live oak. Began stalking him but he was on the move scarfing up the fresh crop of acorn mast that had fallen down in the last two weeks.

Turned on the T-70 and was able to pick him up with the 0.5X magnification, however when I laid down on the ground to target him I could not see him anymore and just got a couple of short traces of this back sticking up out of the brush. Had to move and relocate three times, all the time shifting back and forth from the LS-64 to the T-70 as I attempted to get into range so that I could see him.

Finally, decided I would have to take a standing off hand shot because after three tries laying down, that was the only way I could target him.

Put a suppressed Barnes 70 grain hand-loaded TSX into his ear and down he goes.

I never would have located and found this hog again using higher magnification as I needed WFOV to find him and target him in the very difficult to see conditions.

Just another good reason why I highly recommend 0.5X for hunting on foot when you are on the ground with these destructive beasts!

Will work on the vid this week which should illuminate the excellent enhancement the 0.5X provides in very difficult situations.....

Hog%20Earshot.jpg

Hog%20In%20Grapple2.jpg

FlirOne%20Hog.jpg

FlirOne%20Head.jpg

Great stories again . Looks like you have been busy lately
thumbup1.gif

I totally understand what LS64 shows behind the bushes, as I located a boar behind the bushes yesterday.

I've been also busy hunting hogs and shot a record sized trophy tusks last week, will post pictures later.

The 450 pound boar hog dressed out nicely and provided over 200 pounds of great sausage, plus loins and ribs were HUGE!

450%20Dressed.jpg

Here is another good reason why I personally like the FLIR T-70, I was attacked and knocked down by this hog because I had the magnification on 1X instead of 0.5X.

I was out on the powerline grade out back tonight and watching many buck deer chasing does 400-600 yards out on the FLIR M-324 Pan/Tilt in the UTV, but saw some more thermal signatures behind them about 800 yards down the line. Got out and started hiking towards them.

The deer all took off when I got within 200 yards of them but I could still see what appeared to be hog thermal signatures another quarter mile down the way.

Got up to them at 250 yards out and took a bead on the biggest one with the T-70 leaning up against a telephone pole for support.

First 225 pound sow drops dead in her tracks with an earshot and about a dozen other hogs all scatter and try to get away.

One hog breaks out of the sounder and starts running my way, had the T-70 on 1X and started shooting at the running hog coming right at me, shot 6 times and missed every shot except the last one hits the hog at 50 feet from me, it rolls, gets up and continues coming right at me. Next thing I know I am on the ground as the hog ran into my left leg as I was trying to get out of the way.

Flipped the T-70 to 0.5X laying on the ground and shot the hog through the chest @ 50 feet behind me.

Pretty exciting to say the least, but since I had the thermal on 1X for the first shot @ 250 yards, I was unable to nail the charging hog in the 1X FOV, as soon as I switched to 0.5X the hog died. In a situation like this, I wish that I could have switched to 0.5X in time to prevent getting knocked down as I was alone at night in the woods a couple of miles out back of the house....

The first 250 yard ear shot dropped the sow in her tracks:
Hog%20Attack%20Sow.jpg

This is the dude that knocked me over:

Hog%20Attack%20Shoat.jpg

Between the two of them, another good sausage haul....

Hog%20Attack.jpg

Now that the moon is up and the sky is clear, I feel like heading back out there again with the NODs as I can always use my IR laser close up hot and heavy!
w00t.gif

I hit another big loner boar in the head last night but he made it into the brush and I was not going in there alone after him at night, will head back out this morning later to check things out!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI hit another big loner boar in the head last night but he made it into the brush and I was not going in there alone after him at night, will head back out this morning later to check things out!

SP,

If you're gonna be a Billy Bad A$$ Central Florida Hog Hunter you gotta start wading in after them when you wound one... Wait a minute while I climb a tree and get my video camera ready...
wink.gif

Never mind. I'll stay in the truck and you can carry the video camera with you... LOL

A wounded hog in the scrub can be a fearsome creature that is often bent on inflicting as much pain as possible before expiring and once thier adrenaline is up Florida feral hogs can be fearsome and seemingly bullet proof...
smile.gif

Be careful down there Bud... I feel your reluctance...
wink.gif

$bob$ (who still has most of his limbs intact due to his reluctance to follow up wounded hogs... ;))

Most of the time, on my property, I am out by myself at night so I am kind of reserved when it comes to exposing myself to danger.

The other night I had my FoxPro Prairie Blaster on the roof of the UTV blasting out Coyote Submission and an entire pack of song dogs breaks out screaming and howling all around me. I saw a couple of them in the thermal but they were moving fast and did not stop so I could take a shot. Ultimately I left as all their insane challenge barking and yipping got me freaked out and I just wanted to get out of there and go home.

I hate being surrounded by a pack of howling song dogs miles out in the woods alone!
tired.gif

I don't think those coyotes will ever attack you :)) Unless you are already dead ...

They just do that to scare you but they are never brave enough to attack humans (as per my experience with our Jackals which are very similar to your coyotes)

200 yard song dog in the rain again, does not get much better than that with a thermal.[:D]

T70%20Dog.jpg

Hot%20Dog.JPG

Except then a sow shows up and the T-70 wastes her with an earshot in the rain too![:p]

T70%20Hog.jpg

Ridiculously stoopid shamful selfie while freezing my arse off last night out hogging again, will post some fraternal hog killer pics of the hunt with mucho NV/Thermal gear getting used to the max....

M24%20Selfie.jpg

Three manics with guns, FLIR RS64-60mm 6.8SPC, FLIR RS64-35mm 6.8SPC, and FLIR T-50 7.62/51mm:

2%20Hogs.jpg

12%2013%202014%20018.JPG

12%2013%202014%20019.JPG

ZOMBIE HOGS MUST DIE!

That was 18 hogs total eradicated including the feti...and we were just getting started! Thermal rules the night again..

Then, to top it all off, one of the gang was walking in the dark to a tree stand in a dense live oak understory and spotted this boar hog off to the side with the helmet mounted FLIR M-24 and shot it at 150 yards when it crossed the trail using the FLIR RS64-60mm ThermoScope and left it there and climbed up into the 15 foot tree stand.

Fifteen minutes later he hears some barking and thinks some hunting dogs are nearby, but then all [beeep] breaks loose 150 yards from him with yelping, barking, and howling. Looks over through the thermal and a pack of coyotes are attacking his recently deceased hog and trying to drag the carcass off deeper into the woods. Got down out of tree stand and went to go rescue the hog as the dogs were going wild in the dark. Saw the dogs in the thermal but too dense to shoot. It was all over in about three minutes when he got there and they took off, however this is the damage the coyote pack did to the hog in less than 3 minutes......

Zombie%20Hog.JPG

Another two minutes and they would have ripped the boar hogs head off!

Here is the REAL BEAUTY of thermal.

Drenching hot for Christmas, 100% Humid, 75*F, raining 2.5 inches all day long and still raining, thick pea soup fog cannot even see using the Red LED Blaster more than 75 feet.

Hunted for two hours out by myself and saw loads of deer and called it a night.

On the way back home going 10 mph creeping through the intense fog and rain, the FLIR M-324 thermal picks up a sounder deep in the brush as I am rounding a corner. Turn off the engine and Red LED and snake out the HK556 with FLIR T-70 over the half windshield and put a 77 grain SMK in this boar hogs ear @ 100 yards, DRT as usual....

No way would any kind of NV been useful in these conditions, thermal worked like a charm!

HK%20Hog.jpg

Hot%20HK%20HogB.jpg

Hot%20HK%20Hog.JPG

Back