Question about over called areas

newrookie

I have limited experience when it comes to coyotes. I have been lucky a few times but am far away from being a seasoned caller. My question is this . I recently got several ranches to predator hunt on. All of these ranches was once called by a seasoned caller , who according to each ranch owner killed a ton of coyotes on each ranch for several several years. Neither ranch owner has heard from him in awhile so they said I can call it until he comes back around. Would yall waste your time on these places and if you would what techniques would yall use behind a seasoned caller that has had so much luck in an area? Thanks

Odds are he hasn't done anything to hurt your success possibilities. Scout the area just like it is brand new to you. Don't develop negative thoughts about the ranches based on things you don't know.

If he hasn't been heard from in a while why do you consider them "overcalled"? The same tactics should be employed as any other new area [or known area for that matter]. Scouting, scouting, scouting, stand selection, wind, approach, stealth, sun etc... It sounds as if the landowners were kept informed of the previous callers successes and this may be something you want to consider. Learn from your failures and more from your successes. If the tactics you're using aren't working don't be afraid to try something different. Lastly if someone else has killed a ton of coyotes there then that must mean there's a ton of coyotes there to be killed. Sounds like a place I'd love to waste a little time on. Good Luck!

New coyotes will move onto the ranches that have been called in the past plus almost every year there is a new crop of coyotes pups to kill or educate.

I have been calling on some of the same ranches for 25 years now. Mother nature messes with my coyote calling success much more than the number of coyotes that I have killed the year before.

Around here 3 or 4 years of drought drops the coyote population much more than hunting them does.

ALL of the above posters are right on ,It sounds as if you are a little intimidated by the last guy on the ranches . Dont worry about living up to his numbers . As said above the most important to me would be scouting, By this i mean getting to know these areas as well as you can and begin selecting stand locations with the prevaling wind and a good overview of the area in your favor . look for stands that afford you (elevation) without detection. the more area you can see downwind or not is going to be a great advantage .Make sure that getting into the stand is somewhat stealthy.
The best tool for learning to be a sucessfull caller is time in the field to hone what works for you.Your own mind can and will at some point be your worst enemy. Dont get caught up in the what ifs and dont put yourself in a stand thinking I dont like it. That only will waste your time and ruin your confidence sooo get your stands down pat before you start calling a area.Keep it simple , dont over call or use to much volume, If your stand is not sucessfull try to get out as undetected as going in, Learn to be as sneaky as old whiley. After a few years it will all become second nature to you .Good luck young man,And keep us posted we will try to help you out .

I've seen it both ways. Over called ground, highly educated coyotes, that drive you nuts. Then wide open country, where every time you called, two or three would come running in like on T.V. The only way to find out what you have, is to get out and try.

Throw some calls at them that they probably haven't heard a lot of, like woodpecker distress.

I call in some hammered areas, areas that get a lot of attention from Wal-martian hunters. They go buy a gun and electronic caller from Wal-Mart and out they go. When the coyotes hear rabbit distress they bolt. But throw fox distress, mouse squeaker, voles, woodpecker, even a bobcat growl/fox fight and they show back up. Sometimes they seem to show up just out of plain old curiosity. Well you know what they say about curiosity...it can kill the coyote also.

Unless it was hunted THIS year hard I wouldnt consider it over called. Most coyotes dont live very long so theres always a new crop of coyotes. If your the only one hunting this year, Id consider it almost virgin ground. Even educated coyotes tend to dumb up over time. Add in pups etc and you should be set

I wouldnt get to fancy on the calls. try a couple distress calls and go with them until you NEED to change. Again if it hasnt been hunted this year there will be plenty of new/dumb coyotes looking for an easy meal.

Sticking with one or two calls where you dont have compitition slows the education process IMO. I run the rabbit until the rabbit doesnt work. Then I switch calls. That way I dont have to rememeber what I used before.

This is what works for me. I have several ranches that im the only person hunting coyotes on. I consistantly kill coyotes on the same stands with the same sounds from Nov-mid Feb. Trick is to make sure you kill as many as possible that come in. You can burn out an area pretty fast if you educate the coyotes rather than kill them....course theres a learning curve we all go thru to get to the consistant killing part. LOL

Last edited:
we were talking to one of our land owners last spring. he says the coyote guy used to set up over on that ridge or over there etc. turns out the 'coyote guy' was Rich Cronk. talk about some shoes to fill !!! At least i know we got some good spots. go get em.

Following Rich around is a good thing. Most of them that he called in didn't leave, so that deal was over. Good luck to you.

Rich Cronk was one of the best custom call makers in the world, and a great predator hunter too. I was blessed to spend some time with Rich and his wife, Mary, at their home in Council Bluffs. Rich could make sounds with his mouth that would call in about any predator. His most treasured time was spent coyote hunting with Murray Burnham. I have a couple of his custom calls, and they will never be sold.

I'd treat it like any new place. Do some locating vocals and go from there. I'd use the best diaphragm calls on the market to give myself the best chance of success and then hit them hard!!! Good Luck!-----Ben Jimmy

Back