Need Opinions. .17 rem, 204, or ??

.204 would be my choice, the .17's will save you some fur but if the shots are long and not placed as well your odds of recovering the fur are reduced. It is nice to not have to worry about getting the needle and thread out to sew holes, but ive sewn up some pretty nasty holes and still gotten some very good $ for those pelts. I just like to make sure if I do shoot a critter that I have the best chance at recovering it. The .17 rem is a really cool cartridge and ive thought about owning one for a long time but it does limit you more than the .204 when it comes to putting coyotes down.

Be smart about this.....................buy both!!
thumbup1.gif

I love both calibers a lot, but I do prefer the 17 Rem. slightly more. But if I wanted to save fur and shoot way out there with success, then I would get a 17-204 and have the best of both worlds for Coyotes.

Not a .17 cal. fan, but love my .204s. TC Ventures are cheap right now, plus they have a detachable magazine and a faster-twist barrel for stabilizing the 40-grainers. Tikka, CZ, a used LVSF or the new Browning Predator would be good, too.
For your needs, have you considered chamberings in .221 Fireball, or maybe .20 VarTarg? Either - especially the .221 - would be a little bit more fur-friendly than the .204.

A .204 shooting 35 gr. Bergers is bad medicine on coyotes... I'm back in the market for a .204 myself. I may give the Ruger American Predator a try?

Heck, I've already got a handful of .17's including one "Big Seventeen" along with several .20 calibers, and I STILL want that setup!

- DAA

That Pacnor setup IMO is a very good deal.

If I didn't already have a CZ527 Varmint in 17-204, and a Lilja barrel on the way, for another build, I would be very tempted to buy it for myself.

Is it a 1-9 or a 1-10 twist?

Plus I just think that is a cool picture too boot.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiThat Pacnor setup IMO is a very good deal.

Is it a 1-9 or a 1-10 twist?
It's a 1:9 twist.

HAHA i have a 17 rem and was ALSO looking and drooling over that rifle.

I dont own a 204 but have to wonder how it'd perform on a fox. Im leery of shooting a fox with my 17 rem with my coyote handloads. Its real bad medicine on coyotes out past 300 and worked perfect on the 1 bobcat Ive shot.

At the ranges (an a good bit farther) you stated a 17 rem with a good 25gr bullet will work great on coyotes. I doubt a 204 would be any better. Dead is dead. Both should be lights out.

Good fur bullets as well as brass is little easier to find for the 204. Personally thats the only advantage the 204 has over the 17 rem fur hunting.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG204's don't have THIS stamped on the barrel...

This rifle needs you.

I think you should keep that beauty
smile.gif
if I had the funds I would take it off your hands.

Given the options and that buying a new barrel to put on the new gun wasn't an option, i would vote for the TC predator Venture in 204.
It shoots the 40gr just fine, and when i had a 22-250 with a 1:14 twist is liked the 40gr (224) bullets and i could shoot bobcats and fox and not have issues with damage. (unless is was close) but that is what the shotgun is for.

On average in your area where will the money be the fox/cat pelts or the coyote. If the money is in cats and fox go 17. Shoot 25 grain berger varmints or the 25 woodchuck den bullet would be a good compromise.

The OP mentioned he doesn't like the bolt on the CZ....

The new CZ's don't have any issues, they modified them. They're also making a 17 Rem run in 2015. I'd go that route and maybe have RVB modify your mag/trigger guard (to flush fit), if you like.

Back