So I had this bobcat at 20 yards...

hunt-m-up

but it was during Iowa's muzzleloader season last weekend and the bobcat season doesn't start until Nov. 1. I saw him along a creek bank about 125 yds away and mouth squealed him in to 20, decided to yell at him when he crouched.
Because we have a limited population we are only allowed to take 1 per year. Since I only get one, any methods to judge size and/or age? Bird calls or rabbit squeals? Fur is prime when? Have averaged seeing one a year during deer season but never gave much thought to hunting them.
Thanks,

The woodpecker sounds work very well, jackrabbit, cottontail, field mice distress, vole squeeks stuff like that. The fur will be prime after a few good hard freezes.

Good job, calling him in that close. As suggested, a decoy would help hold his attention longer.

Increase your calling fun by carrying a camera, especially during closed seasons. Can't shoot but can still bring home a trophy:

Regards,
hm

Thanks for all the advice, I've often threatened to carry a camera, but never seem to when hunting close to home. I got him on my cell phone, but it was focusing on everything but the cat. I will probably go back to take a shot at him now that the furbearer season has opened.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good job, calling him in that close. As suggested, a decoy would help hold his attention longer.

Increase your calling fun by carrying a camera, especially during closed seasons. Can't shoot but can still bring home a trophy:

Regards,
hm

^^^^^^ respect

I called in a cat a few weeks ago and watched it go to my decoy and caller and check it out. Was very cool to see. At least you got some pics. Very nice..........

Back