NRA TV ad

Just saw an ad on TV for the NRA. In the ad it said 5 million members. With over 300 million people in this country, and over 300 million guns in the country, how can NRA membership be only 5 million?

How many people on this forum (all own guns) are not members? Everyone who owns a gun, or uses a gun should be a member. We are all on this forum because of our desire to hunt predators, we are not hunting them with knives, very few use archery tackle. An NRA membership costs about the same as a box of shells, so what excuse do those of you who are not members use?

I am a Patron Life member. I also contribute yearly.

Life Member here. If you're not a member, don't squeal when they come for YOUR guns. Join up guys and get your gals to do so as well. Like 6724 said, about the same price as a box of shells. Power in numbers, we need every head and every vote.

Originally Posted By: 6724Just saw an ad on TV for the NRA. In the ad it said 5 million members. With over 300 million people in this country, and over 300 million guns in the country, how can NRA membership be only 5 million?

+1!^^^ I've asked myself that so many times over the years and never come up with an answer. Been an NRA member since 1952, Life member since 1961 and my wife and I are now Benefactor members. Signed up my son and two grandchildren as life members at a very young age.

Too old to do it any more but volunteered as a recruiter and signed up hundreds of members at gun shows, rifle matches, etc. One gun show operator would even give me a table outside the door and every new NRA member got free admission to the show by showing his receipt.

You wouldn't believe the excuses I got for why they were not members; I've heard 'em all. Some favorites were they didn't agree with how NRA spent their money, or they didn't take a strong enough stand on machineguns, or __________ (you fill in the blank, and I can assure you that I've heard it).

NRA is a big organization and cannot satisfy all 5,000,000 members 100%. We can all find something to [beeep] about that doesn't completely agree with our own personal belief or idea on how things should be done, but if it wasn't for NRA we'd be lucky to be hunting w/slingshots, and that's a fact.

We've been fighting the anti-gun zealots forever, at least for the 70+ years since I've been old enough to pick up my first .22 rifle.

One observation I've made over the years is that NRA membership increases when the liberals are in power and declines when the conservatives have been in office a while. It seems that when the 2nd amendment is threatened, folks react by joining NRA.......just not enough of them. Just think the clout the NRA would have with even 100 million members, let alone 300 million.

Been on my soap box too long, sorry for the rant.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6GUNSONLYLife Member here. If you're not a member, don't squeal when they come for YOUR guns. Join up guys and get your gals to do so as well. Like 6724 said, about the same price as a box of shells. Power in numbers, we need every head and every vote.

Your free firearms insurance (as long as you are a current NRA member) is worth the price of membership alone.

Regards,
hm

Three items to consider about the NRA membership...

1) Any elected official that has a high percentage of NRA members as constituents has the ear of other politicians and committee members, as well as the President and the National Parties...

2) While there have been positions that I have disagreed with over the years, the overall good done by the NRA overshadows any negative position that I may take personally...Back in the late 70s, I was having a hard time, as a LEO, supporting the concept of civilians having the "Need" for fully auto weapons and still have some questions about it..But, when you look at the Hunter Safety Clinics, the support for excellent design in shooting ranges, etc,,My concerns are minimal..

3) For those that are on Social Security and need a supplemental health insurance, the Group Policy through the NRA is second to no others on a civilian basis...My premiums are less that $200 per month, I've had over a Million dollars of surgery, plus the related medical costs and never had to pay more than my monthly premium out of pocket....ObamaCare has not affected it, so far...Something to keep in mind as you age...

I'm a current member and first joined in the early 80's. The number 1 reason I see people leaving the NRA is the constant requests for more money. It doesn't bother me so much because I trash what I'm not interested in and send them a bit more when they catch my attention with something.

Been a member for I dont know how long? Three decades or so? I'm only 48. I know that they know politics better than me so I gotta trust their collective knowledge, drive and commitment to the cause. I know sometimes that they realize you gotta lose a little to gain in the end. Sometimes there's battles your gonna lose for now. Focus on the long run - remember the sunset clause in the assault weapons" (I still hate the use of that incorrect word!) they got written in the law? Who'd've thunk that that would've ended it all eventually. I have watched as they remind us all how the violent crime rates have fallen to half what they were over twenty years as ccw's have doubled. I have watched as they fought tooth and nail, even losing out sometimes against "popular public opinion" for our gun rights. I've watched as they built a war chest to take things all the way to the SCOTUS and get some of the brightest minds in constitutional law to fight for them against tyranny. I've watched as they won Heller and McDonald in front of the SCOTUS such that even Ol Bammy has had to admit to it....for now. I've watched as the membership grew to 3-4 million during the Clinton yrs, then dropped in complacency, then up to 5 million as we almost lost a LOT of rights. It appears as the big picture tide is changing for the better as we get pushed harder and harder into a corner. Conservative people and groups are learning to fight pre-emptively rather than living and letting live as conservatives do.

Why dont more belong? Complacency and apathy. Basic human nature. Maybe if they gave out a "free" Iphoe with each membership?

Originally Posted By: hm1996

You wouldn't believe the excuses I got for why they were not members; I've heard 'em all. Some favorites were they didn't agree with how NRA spent their money, or they didn't take a strong enough stand on machineguns, or __________ (you fill in the blank, and I can assure you that I've heard it).

[/u]

There are a lot of people that don't want to spend the money. I have friends like that too. Like you I have heard every excuse.

If you did a poll on this forum I'd be willing to bet you'd find only 25% of the members belong to the NRA.

Back