What would you build for deer?

Here is the proposed regulation from INDIANA DNR;
•Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons. Full metal jacketed bullets would be unlawful because since they do not expand when fired, and therefore, do not kill as humanely.

So does this mean a .243 bore or .243 winchester?

My 6.8 is an 18" midlength 1-11 Bison armory upper
If i were to get another i would probably go with a 16" just to keep it light.

fa16f540-8ed5-4056-8613-e87f6ab7050d.jpg

5425a7d4-08b2-4ad0-86cd-fdc8526214a6.jpg

Rick, I really believe you would be happy with a 6.8 SPC II AR. Just be sure to get a SPC II chamber, and a minimum 10.5 / 1 twist. 11 / 1 or 11.5 / 1 would even be better. I think RRA uses a 10.5 twist in their uppers. Most of the custom builders use 11 / 1 or 11.5 twist barrels. Mine is a Bison Armory 11 /1 twist in a 16 inch recon profile. I think Shaw was providing Bison's barrels when I got mine. I think I told you that I pinned this upper to a pistol lower last winter and took a 200 pound field dressed buck at 120 yards using factory loaded 110 grain pro hunters from SSA. First shot went completely through both lungs with a quarter size exit. I hit the deer back some because it took a step as I pulled the trigger. Second shot went through both shoulders with a one inch exit. He trotted about 30 yards after the first shot then just stood out there until I decided to hit him again with the shoulder shot. He layed down after the second shot. Check Bison Armory's web site for what's currently available. I had them build a complete upper for a buddy a couple of years ago. Cost was $600.00 out the door. Included an upgraded blasted stainless barrel and a Troy TRX forearm.

Back