Using Rustoleum

luckydux

Rustoleum Rusty metal Primer

I haven't found any debate about using it on footholds but I've heard of folks using it. I don't know if they dye and wax them afterwards or ??
Anyone use it or have any input?

As I stated, I can't find any debate about using it. I thought maybe it was scent free
smile.gif
I know theres folks using it on their canine sets but I don't "know" anyone personally. Just seems a lot easier than wax and dyeing

Last edited:
It is easier and lasts longer too.

It is scent free after it is dry and has time to air out, and the traps won't get contaminated easily like waxed traps will....

You have to mix it 50/50 paint/acetone. Not just straight paint.

It's not very popular to treat your traps this way because it's "new" compared to the decades old methods most of us use now. 10 years from now it wont be a debate anymore....

I know a guy who has been doing it for a couple of years, he caught 49 coyotes on his after work line last year.

Here is an instructional link:
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4659988/1

Good luck.

Helk yeah, thanks for the links!

I know change is tough when we become set in our ways, especially traditional practices, but theres always been and more than likely always will be more than one way to skin a fox
smile.gif

Lungbuster, when you stated "10 years from now it wont be a debate anymore…", are you saying that dyeing and waxing is becoming a thing of the past?

No. I just mean that dipping in rustoleum will be recognized as another way to do things.

Years ago dips like FMJ and F1 were thought of a fads and that they wont work. But now many successful trappers like Slim Peterson use it, and no one can argue with their success.

Good luck.

Speed dip is basically paint diluted with gasoline...It works for a great many people...me on the other hand come from the school of as little scent as possible...I realize there are other ways to do it, but part of it is your own confidence...if you are not confident in what you are doing there is a good chance it will work poorly for you...

TS

Back