Bird Distress

ATL

Hey yall,

I've been practicing with a couple different open reed coyote calls and have a good idea how to howl, rabbit distress and kiyi. However can anyone offer me advise on how to make a bird distress sound. Been trying for some time now and cant figure out how to make the sound.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ATL

While it may not sound like any specific bird in distress, here's the way that I do it.

Place my lips as close to the tip of the reed as possible, yet still get a high shrill sound.
Then, I "gargle" in my throat as I blow the call.

On one call that I have, instead of "gargling", I just rock the call from side to side, as quickly as I can.

I know most guys try to "trill" their tongues, in order to make the sound. However, I am unable to trill.

Pretty much the same here. Many ways to do bird sounds. I just stick to simple high pitched shrills, and vary the cadence. Speed up and slow down once in a while, keep it changed up. Pitch changes, the occasional off note squeal etc is often enough to break loose a hung up cat or coyote. Don't be monotonous with your sounds.Also, humming into the call will give you a great variation in sound.
Also, a twin reed call, like a Verminator, can give you that 2 note, metallic sounding squeal too.
Mark

Last edited:
Back