Nice target/shooting stand

possumal

Here is a nice target/shooting stand I have developed for any of you interested. It is easy to build, and works really well with taller grass or uneven ground. You can change the cardboard backing or the target real easily. If any of you need more detail, email me at possumal57@gmail.com.

NICE. I built two that are similar out of PVC a few years ago.

They work well if you don't shoot the pipes!

Don't ask me how I know ......
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif
blushing.gif

You may want to toss the cardboard backer and use the plastic campaign signs that are everywhere after elections. We pick up several every year. Last way longer than cardboard and hold staples better too.

Here are measurements and a materials list the way I build them. Obviously, you can substitute other materials.

2 pieces pvc 1 1/4" outside, 32" long
4 pieces pvc 1 1/4" outside, 48" long
6 90 degree elbows
2 pieces 1 x 4 western cedar 34 1/2" long
2 3/8" bolts 3 1/2" long
2 nuts and washers
4 sheet metal screws to attach boards
4 tent stakes like Walmart sells
1 corrugated cardboard 26" x 30"
6 screws and washers to hold cardboard on wood

The bottom cross piece of pvc has 2 holes drilled through, and the two elbows on the ends of the legs have holes drilled through for the 4 tent stakes to go through.

The combination of the legs and the cross piece allow you to level in virtually any terrain

This setup is very stable in windy conditions.

I use roofing nails or tape to attach my targets, and also use the Caldwell peel & stick types.

Last edited:
try using push pins to attach targets. I use a cardboard box for a stand & have been using push pins most of my life.

Nicely made. I have used metal framed house for sale sign for years and love it think I bought it for $5 years ago. Recently after remounting a scope to one of my rifle I finally clipped the top bar with a round and now I have a replacement idea.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishtry using push pins to attach targets. I use a cardboard box for a stand & have been using push pins most of my life.

Me too. Push pins work well. I too use a cardboard box and push pins for most of my shooting.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI might have to make one of these stands though
wink.gif

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too.

That is very clever... When we zeroed our rifles in the Army we used staple guns to attach our targets... I still use staple gun...

Three big advantages to this type of target stand:

1. Having the target over tall grass without pulling or cutting grass/weeds

2. Very stable in the wind.

3. Easy to level on nearly any kind of terrain.

I use the Caldwell peel and stick targets for most sighting in work.

Ive been using scheduale 40 1/2 & 3/4 pvc for eons for my stands. Always nice to see others do the same. very light, east to repair. A pal filled a base he made w/sand so the winds don't blow it and no staking into the ground.

The 4 stakes into the ground are simple and they are an integral part of being able to level up on uneven ground, and don't add any appreciable weight.

Back