Powder for .243 with 85 grain Sierra ?

Hidalgo

Trying to decide on a powder for the .243 with 85 grain Sierra bullets.

N-140 looks good, as does Reloder 15 and also H4895.

Anyone shoot any of these?

If you do some research on the internet in the different shooting forums you will find that the 85g Sierra Game King and IMR 4064 have a cult following in the 243.

My 243 is no different. It loves 4064 with 85g SGK and Varget also does very well.

Many years ago I used to load 44.5 grs. of the OLD H-4831. In my Douglas barreled .243 it was good for 1/2" easily . Sorry, don't know how it would translate to todays new H-4831.

+1 4064
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jamesh76I really like w760

Yep, my favorite and most accurate 243 load is a stiff load of W760 with the 85 grain Sierra HP. I've tried other powders and they were okay, but I always went back to 760. I've also found out that I can go over the max load listed with 760 without pressure problems, and most of my loads are over max.

The one that shoots best in YOUR rifle. If you have them on hand try them all. Oh, & might add H414 to the list; it don't suck with 85's at all.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeThe one that shoots best in YOUR rifle. If you have them on hand try them all. Oh, & might add H414 to the list; it don't suck with 85's at all.

What shoots best in my rifle wasn't the question. Although I do appreciate your advice.
thumbup1.gif

I was simply asking for experiences with different powders before I bought anything. There are so many options for 6mm now that I was trying to narrow it down a bit.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HidalgoTrying to decide on a powder for the .243 with 85 grain Sierra bullets.

N-140 looks good, as does Reloder 15 and also H4895.

Anyone shoot any of these?

Not any more.... Varget for me.

IMR4064 shot better than Varget for me. Haven't tried the powders you mentioned and also my load is currently with a 85gr Speer SP, but will probably be switched to the 85gr Sierra next time.

Back