Now what?

Ky Col

I'm new to predator hunting, just seriously started last year after shooting them as they came by while deer hunting, and now I "might" have a problem.

The three main farms I hunt on here in KY are my cousin's and last year I took his grandson with me on a couple day and one night hunts. Well he has a "buddy" that has a caller and I just found out they went calling the other day and plan to call more after gun deer season.

Now my question is those farms going to get over called or what? Being my cousins grandson he gets first pick and knowing him he will head out there every chance.

What can I do? Do I just write those farms off and keep trying to find other farms which I haven't been able to so all year of asking. Or what?? We know on those three farms there are dozens of coyotes there and the neighboring farms because they sound off big time.

If anybody has any ideas how I could keep on hunting those farms I really could use the help. Thanks!!

How big are these farms?
If each are thousands of acres you might be okay. If they're 100 acres each, well, good luck. If it were me and I knew the other guys were calling, I probably would strictly use vocals.
The other tactic I'd use would be bait piles; but I don't know if that's an option for you.

One is 300 acres and the other two are around 200 acres each. All of them have other farms next to them.

I had thought about bait piles since every year we dump the deer guts in the same place where my cousin could shoot coyotes from his porch. But I don't know where to get enough to keep it supplied.

Last edited:
That's not much ground to call really. If it were me I'd probably offer up some free labor on the weekends to the farmers to secure access to more ground or your current ground; basically lease it.
A little work goes a long way when it comes to securing ground.

And now you and others see why Some of us that have hunted for a few years don't like taking new people hunting.
You are teaching them things that you have had to try and learn..
I can almost promise you that they will be back in the same spots over and over.

When i do agree to take someone out, i usually take them to somewhere i haven't been, or it's really not that good and don't really plan on hunting much at all. But if you take them somewhere you have been wanting to go check out, and it's good, I for the most part have written that off as well. It's happened to me a couple of times.

I went out to an area, that i wanted to check and wasn't to far, and took someone that had been trying really hard, but no luck.. we went out and I called in 12 coyotes in a day, and we put 5 in the truck, in that same day.. Then over the next two months, there were pics of a new one each week or two of a coyote he shot in that same place i took him to.

I haven't really taken new people hunting since. (well at least not ones that can drive, or live in the state)

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZAnd now you and others see why Some of us that have hunted for a few years don't like taking new people hunting.
You are teaching them things that you have had to try and learn..
I can almost promise you that they will be back in the same spots over and over.

Understand what you are saying but ... I've taken new guys to hunting out to areas where I hunt upland birds, deer, or select fishing ponds and have never found them back there. A lot of that depends on the person you are taking out there. If I'm taken out by someone to their hunting spots I don't go back unless I'm invited. The guys I've taken have given me the same respect.

At the same time I don't blame anyone for not taking someone out for exactly what you have experienced. We need more people hunting - the bigger the group the more "political" pull we have. That is one thing they really should teach in hunters education. Takes a lot of work to go out and find places and people need to respect that.

Don't set up in the same areas and don't use the same calls also don't hunt the same time of day they have hunted. If they are using distress use coyote vocals. Watch the wind being new they will make alot of mistakes including getting winded don't make the same mistakes. If you are killing them and they are not and they ask what you are doing don't tell them or where you are hunting at. They will get some dumb ones it is the smart ones that take time and effort and skill. If they are serious they will keep after it but depending on their age they will get bored if they do not get instant gratification every time. Just my thoughts YMMV.

I have a feeling I've run my mouth a little too much lately to a couple of guys but I'm hoping they aren't able to get out quite as much as I do, and they don't know what they are doing really(I'm still wet behind the ears too). I also know for a fact that if they do go out they'll be using an e-caller which in my opinion is great for me because I don't have one and all my sounds are much different than anyone else around here or at least I think so anyway.

Another good thing there are tens of thousands of acres to call from.

Last edited:
I would talk to your cousins grandson and figure it out with him , if you want to continue hunting the same ground. Unless he's a total Ahole , he will understand that you were the one that introduced him to the sport and you guys should work together to enjoy it and kills some coyotes.

that is why i hunt alone.

i will not take anyone anymore unless they are not from around here.

my best elk hunting spot is ruined. my favorite coyote spot is ruined. my favorite deer spot is ruined.

i took a good friend out, he kills a decent bull. the next year he asks if i am going there, not to invite me but to tell me he and another guy are going. then they kill one and ask yet another guy for help getting it out. then that guy tells another guy or two. used to be the only people that hunted there were people that knew how to read a map and find limited access areas of blm. now everyone and there brother hunts there!

i hunt alone!

Dang man thats a bummer.Live a learn...

For me choosing a hunting partner is as important as choosing your wife.They can both burn you pretty bad.
Other then getting your spot poached..You have safety issues(If Newer)..extra noise and twice the smell.Granted a 2 man setup can be deadly if you both have it figured out.As for taking a "buddy"..If they are willing to take me to their private property or their favorite spots..that's test #1.I will bring up the "code of ethics" and they are more understanding when its their spot.Test #2 just take them out for a nature hike..no real good spots..but plenty of hiking.If there willing to go again..get them into something.90% of the time you won't get asked if they can roll along again.
I'm all for getting someone into the sport,however almost everyone in my area is already the "pro hunter"..more like pro B.S.er'..
Bottom line is you put in all the scouting and epic fails learning..only to hand a silver platter for someone not willing to do that? 99% of the time I'm either solo or with my dad,and things are going just fine.

Only one I coyote hunt with are myself my son and I have to drag him into the field for coyotes, he's a pheasant hunter at heart, and my longest most trusted hunting partner that I have shared ground with for 24 years. That's it period

I know this scenario very well as Texas is predominantly private land. The land owners grandson comes of age and sees me killing truckloads of coyotes on paw paws place and decides he wants to try. Paw paw of course says have at it to his vrandson and my honey hole is ruined for the next 3-4 seasons until grandson gets tired of killing nothing. It's happened to several of my places.

Chupa

On the flip side of things..I would recommend finding a good trusting hunting buddy.Some of the funnest times ive had was just out plinking rabbits and rock chucks with a good friend.Good stories to tell when your old! They are also a good reason to ward of the other "buddies" when you say your already going with Joe Bob.

Thanks guys. I know I will have to talk to him to work something out so we don't trip over each other since I don't want them mad at me. The grandson is about 30 and loaded as is his grandfather, he will soon be the owner of all the farms so I will have to draw the short stick every time. It sucks but that's life.

Time to play "politics." Play up your abilities and make repeated offers to go out with them to see them in action. Set up your stands and make "suggestions" at how and where they set up. Then YOU make sure to pull the coyotes in where you want them to go. Sure, you run the chances that the coyote will come in and the other guys will get the shot, but if you do it right, more often than not you are going to get the shot.

Ultimately, you would eventually have to go find new ground, I don't usually call the same areas more than a few times a season. But these guys out there calling are really probably not doing you much harm unless they are shooting at and missing coyotes. Chances are they are getting busted well before they can educate the coyotes. I was out calling with fw707 at the PM Convention one year. We had rolled into an area not knowing that a predator contest was going on. We dropped in on a watering hole and just a couple minutes in Jeff shoots this coyote that came in. As we were shooting a few pics at the trucks, these two guys roll up. They were competing in the competition and said that they had called the watering hole less than an hour before we shot the coyote.

I don't know what calls these guys were using or how loud they were calling, but we got the coyote. I have seen a lot of guys do it wrong and leave a lot of opportunity for good callers to do it right. You might have to get creative. I have called hammered areas and I will throw some different calls at them. We did the PM convention a few years back when the calling was tough, lots of local competitions, lots of pressure, and we threw together some new sequences with e-calls and hand calls at the same time and pulled in 7 coyotes in a day and a half. The sequence worked so well that we shared it that night with some of the other guys from our team and they shot two coyotes the next day.

It can be very rewarding to go into areas where others struggle and succeed.

A thread like this should make it a lot easier for people to understand why they don't get a response to threads like "How is the hunting around Pinedale?" or why 5spd has the tag line he does. Sometimes you just have to experience hard learned lessons to appreciate what it is to have some good spots and what it takes to keep them.

I like Overwatcher's first response; kind of weeds out the culls.

I also like how snowmanmo sees half the challenge as getting critters in the same areas where others fail. Adds a whole new perspective on the fun of calling.

Last edited:
In would give the new hunter a couple of pointers on how to gain his own places to hunt and when he does, I'll be glad to take him calling there.(I get to call a new area/I love new spots) I get a big charge out of a young caller getting his first coyote. Dealing with their expectations is not as fun as they think if they're going with you(a veteran caller) it's an automatic coyote or two coming in. We're all quite passionate about this sport--- but we get a little greedy when there's a chance to help another fella get started. I do hunt with a buddy and I get just as much if not more enjoyment watching him shoot one versus me. ..Paul

Back