What's the best bang for your buck nightvision scope these days?

Good stuff 6mm06. This marks the first year that we at HTRN have started to carry the digital stuff and (believe it or not) Gen 1 stuff. It is really the significant gains in IR illumination over the past few years that has turned the tide for digital and Gen 1 technology. For example, in my field tests, the Sightmark Night Raider 3x60 Gen 1 dedicated NV scope did acceptable if ranges are 100 yards or less or up to 200 with a powerful external IR device. The built in IR was good out to maybe 100 or so yards but the external IR device would extend it to around 200 yards. It costs about the same as the Sightmark Photon 3.5x42 which was good out to 200 yards with the built in IR device. Certain external IR devices (LLTL-007) will extend the range to possibly 300 for coyotes and maybe beyond that for hogs. So since the cost would be about the same for the Night Raider as the Photon and the Photon gives the hunter a better bang for ther dollar, we chose not to carry the Night Raider. For scanning purposes we field tested many digital devices as well as Gen 1 devices. Based upon our field tests, the Gen 1 Sightmark Ghost Hunter 1x24 Binocular won hands down if equipped with the LLTL-001 or similar IR illuminator. This inexpensive Gen 1 Binocular will give you a detection range of around 300 yards for hogs/coyotes. This is basically how we decide what products we want to sell. They all go through some type of field test before they go up on our website. If we didn't do it this way we couldn't offer our 30 day money back guarantee with NO RESTOCKING CHARGES. Kevin

I really can see both sides of this argument. I've used just about everything that is out there. My situation is a little different as I make my fur checks buy my new equipment. I don't just hunt once or twice a month, more like 4-5 nights a week. We hunt coons. That's it. We don't target coyotes or cats or anything else for that matter. We shoot coons and we shoot a lot of them.

We have thermals for scanning and it was a game changer when we started using them. Those babies put fur in the truck. I've looked through gen3 and loved it. I've tried photons and didn't love all of it.

Our situation is a bit different for hunting though. A thermal scope doesn't work. We're shooting coons on the ground, and in the trees but they are almost always in brush or behind tree branches. The thermals don't always pick up the brush and tree branches and I can sit there shooting a branch instead of fur. I didn't really like the resolution and the super tight field of view of the first series of photons. It is really hard to find a coon in the flir and then get on it with the photon. We have an N750 we're trying next week to see if it will perform any better.

A pvs-14 head mounted with an IR laser should be the best of it all but the IR lasers just aren't fine enough to hit a small target hiding in brush and branches. We've pondered a m845 but once again the fur check has to pay for it and I just don't know if it could.

I think the Photons would rock if hunting open ground for coyotes or hogs. I think if that's what we did I would shoot a thermal though.

We don't all have the $$$$ to spend or we choose not to. I have money but I just can't justify the cost because it won't equate to that much more fun or that much more fur in the truck. I'm excited to see where digital goes. It has the potential to be as good or better than gen3 at a fraction of the cost.

Kevin, I have watched several of your test videos and have learned a lot from them. I'm glad to see you field testing stuff before you decide to sell it to the public, and I thank you for your time and effort in demonstrating a scope's capability to show us what to expect.

You are right that the newer illuminators have been a game changer with many lesser scopes, scopes that used to not cut it in real world situations. Now some of those scopes can become useful, with definite limitations, but still perhaps serve a hunter's purpose, specifically the Gen 1. Like everything else, I'm sure not all Gen 1s are created equal.

My old ATN Spartan 410 Gen 1 served me well enough under the conditions I used it, but after putting together the little bullet camera deal behind my daytime scope, I quickly realized my Gen 1 was nowhere near as good. Technology continues to advance with better illuminators and as more and more scopes are becoming available that are acceptable, some more than acceptable and all with a reasonable price tag.

I'm excited over the new digitals. I have yet to look through any of them other than my little home-made outfit, but I am impressed at what I am seeing both in videos and reviews. I am really excited to hear your report on the 4.6X Photon, and I wish the ATN X-Sight would arrive soon so that some testing can begin with it. Unless something bad happens, I most likely will own one of those scopes.

FowlWater, I agree that dollars don't always equate to more fun. I too could own a Gen 3 if I really wanted it that bad, but I can't justify the cost vs need. I've had a barrel of fun with my cheap stuff and it didn't break my wallet. A guy needs to assess what his needs are, what he wants and can afford, and then make a decision. That's why I think reviews and tests like Kevin's are very worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: FowlWaterI really can see both sides of this argument. I've used just about everything that is out there. My situation is a little different as I make my fur checks buy my new equipment. I don't just hunt once or twice a month, more like 4-5 nights a week. We hunt coons. That's it. We don't target coyotes or cats or anything else for that matter. We shoot coons and we shoot a lot of them.

We have thermals for scanning and it was a game changer when we started using them. Those babies put fur in the truck. I've looked through gen3 and loved it. I've tried photons and didn't love all of it.

Our situation is a bit different for hunting though. A thermal scope doesn't work. We're shooting coons on the ground, and in the trees but they are almost always in brush or behind tree branches. The thermals don't always pick up the brush and tree branches and I can sit there shooting a branch instead of fur. I didn't really like the resolution and the super tight field of view of the first series of photons. It is really hard to find a coon in the flir and then get on it with the photon. We have an N750 we're trying next week to see if it will perform any better.

A pvs-14 head mounted with an IR laser should be the best of it all but the IR lasers just aren't fine enough to hit a small target hiding in brush and branches. We've pondered a m845 but once again the fur check has to pay for it and I just don't know if it could.

I think the Photons would rock if hunting open ground for coyotes or hogs. I think if that's what we did I would shoot a thermal though.

We don't all have the $$$$ to spend or we choose not to. I have money but I just can't justify the cost because it won't equate to that much more fun or that much more fur in the truck. I'm excited to see where digital goes. It has the potential to be as good or better than gen3 at a fraction of the cost. i carry my FLIR ps32 handheld thermal to find those lil tree'd suckers. Beats the heck out of the spit light. Back to the laser.... Get a LDI density filter, it cuts the laser bloom down to a pinpoint!

Originally Posted By: FowlWaterI have a ps24 for a handheld. It works grat. You think I should revisit a pvs-14 on a helmet mount? I think a light would do fine for tree shooting. Biggest thing in the past has been locating

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: case-nhWas thinking 2000 to 3000. TNVC Agila was suggested but was looking for options as clip-ons as mentioned. Just looking for experienced opinions. All good. Thanks.

Another VERY good option and one of the best bang for your buck for TRUE NV that you can ID clearly at 100 yards without active illumination which is always needed when it's dark out there with digital. Our M845 is very well received for many hunters. These units are that good and I cannot say enough about them over the years for hunters on a budget. They are close to Gen 3 without the Gen 3 price and clearly beat down any digital device on the planet.

http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-1-5x-gen2-shp-red-dot-night-vision-rifle-scope/

http://tnvc.com/shop/m845-mk-4-2-5x-gen2-shp-red-dot-sight/

Please PM me and I would happy to talk many details on this line of NV scopes.

Vic

Vic,
Does the M845 have a MX-9916 tube?
~ Kevin

The new Photon is a pretty good scope. For less than 600, you can be night hunting with a pretty effective unit. Scope plus cheap china made t20 IR and your in business.

I've battled with this for the past few years. I started by buying a red LED (XLR-250) and a foxpro and a decent decoy. I've killed a few but can tell you right now that I've had my eyes on either thermal or NV or both for a while. Once the light hits them, they either stall or shag a$$ in a heartbeat. I'm intrigued by the systems that boondock and HTRN suggest. My time is limited and I can't and absolutely WON'T drop $5k-$7k on something that collects dust in my safe for the majority of the time. To those that have and do, I'm a bit envious. I just don't have the means. Other things take priority in my life and I honestly just don't have the financial means at this point & time to make this purchase. So in my opinion to the OP, the definition of "best bang for your buck" is something that you can comfortably afford and still gets the job done. I will definitely be looking into the NiteSite Eagle and the system that HTRN suggested. Thanks for all the responses as this has helped me a ton. And this is not meant to offend anyone. Just stating my OPINION. And we all know what opinions are like. Good hunting to everyone out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1loboThe new Photon is a pretty good scope. For less than 600, you can be night hunting with a pretty effective unit. Scope plus cheap china made t20 IR and your in business.

Where is a good place to get the IR light?

Thanks,
Ron

VERY informative post -

Best bang for MY buck nightvision scope inside of 125 yards, in an semi-open to open environment (not thick wooded or tall grass) would be the Sightmark PhotonXT at 500 bucks. If your budget allows an excellent combo would be adding a Pulsar HD19a 30hz 388 res monocular for 2k.

Best bang for MY buck nightvision scope inside of 125 yards, is undetermined, I have used a handful of Thermal Weapon Sights but I haven't settled on one. So in essence what I am offering here is the opinion that thermal technology would be best but it depends on what you like (fixed focus vs manual focus / display screen resolution / sensor specifications / etc).

Best bang for MY buck for engagements over 150 yards would be a Pulsar Digisight N750 with an external IR. You can effectively get out to 250 yards safely with this setup AND shoot big boy caliber weapons without negative effects on the system.

Disclaimer: MY bucks are very limited as sole income provider to the family. As an example buying a bag of beef jerky would be a budgeted item for me

Thanks,
Ron [/quote]

Ron, I have lots of T20 IR lights. I think 1lobo bought his from me back in May. PM me if you're interested in one.

~Kevin

Originally Posted By: crashnrondo

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I did get one from Kevin. It is a good light. I also got some from Ebay. You can find good lights there, but it's a crap shoot. I've gotten some that don't have a good enough focus for distance and others with the same structure that throw great spots. Good thing about the Photon is that you can get by with one of the lesser lights and still hunt out to 100yds and beyond. I haven't done a serious evaluation of how far I can see with some of the lights, I just settled on one that suited me and that's what I've got on my rifle with a pressure switch to activate it. When I've got a coyote located, I have the scope on and the onboard IR on the lowest setting. I then light him up with the auxillary light and shoot when It's right. The best chance of getting a decent light on ebay is getting one they call a T-20. It's a lesser quality knock off, but good for someone on a budget, and that describes me most of the time.

Back