New to Predator Hunting

Ok so my only time that I ever even had the chance to shoot at a yote was actually in Alamo lake and all I had was my bolt action mosin, the yote was no more than 30 yards away as he had smelled our cooking at dusk and came in pretty hot so I took the only rifle I had aimed as best I could given the time constraints, and I MISSED...I couldn't believe it. I am no great shot but I am far greater of a shot than that. So I kind of feel for those who are recommending a shotgun yet if I am honest I would probably much rather own a new rifle. The reason I am asking you guys though is that I am far more interested in becoming "proficient" at the sport than I am in owning the coolest rifle. I just do not even know what kind of ranges I will really be working with. If anyone is more familiar with the sport in my area I would really appreciate a recommendation as to the weapon which will most benefit my situation. Also beyond Wickenberg and Alamo any places I should scout... not looking for anyone's honey hole just a legal place to start. Again I am very grateful for all the help guys thank you

how accurate is the mosin? what scope ? what size groups does it shoot?? also, i have killed a LOT of coyotes shooting either number 2 federal or number 3 remington buckshot out of my 22mag/20ga combo gun.

Haven't really tested its accuracy but it is more accurate than me. It has a vortex viper 3-9x40, The thing shoots very well I have had the barrel cut down re-crowned with 11 degree target crown and the scope wears Burris z rings... have done much more to it but most is either cosmetic or supporting mods such as bent bolt, rock solid scope mount and so on. The thing shoots well it was just me and my inability to come up fast enough, also had a little bit of buck fever if you will.

It's a case of coyote fever. We all get it. If you don't get it from time to time, then you might be someone that should hang it up for a while..
If you have the mosin, and a scope and can hit a beer can at 100yrds your fine. Especially in that area since the pelts on a good day will only bring $15 to $20, but that is a leap. Mostly they are only getting 10-15.
Skinning and stretching is a whole different step and before you get into that, I would suggest waiting until you can get a few.

Most of the shots are going to be under 200. Even for a new guy. In that area there are plenty of coyotes to cut your teeth on. If you want something other than the Mosin get the 223. Most shots are going to be under 200, and in some area's you are going to sit on the top of fingers out there and overlook a wash. Get some #4 buck for your 20 gauge and leave that on your lap. Get some shooting sticks and put the rifle off to the side.
Set out some kind of decoy. I prefer the Mojo, but a turkey feather will work.

for hand calls i suggest a longer Jack rabbit call, a cotton tail call, and a howler. Those three will keep you busy all season.

Since you are on a shoe string budget and already have a rifle and shotgun, then i would spend the money on those 3 calls, shooting sticks, and a seat. (with back rest) Avery Turkey seat works well and keeps you from sitting in cactus. Pads on the ground are fine, but at some point you will put it down upside down and learn why you don't use a pad.

As for area's.. from wickenburg to alamo lake and west is basically open to the state line. have at it. No point in burning gas to go to Williams if you can go right down the road and really learn the area around you.

Last edited:
I agree with what Tbone-AZ said. When I started, I used what rifle I had which was my savage 270 for deer hunting. Once I found out that I really enjoyed coyote hunting, I saved up and bought a 22-250 and then bought a light 223 for snow and long walks a bit over a year ago. I also rebuilt an old mossberg 500 my brother gave me for real close shots. I know you will be hooked once you call and kill a coyote, but it would probably be a good idea to use what you have to see if you like doing it. I also understand wanting a new rifle too so thats always a good option lol. Good luck on what ever you decide!

Shelton

Ok so after much deliberation with my wife and an unbelievable help from members of this board I have finally reached a decision on my plan of attack. I do have the mosin and can very easily hit a beer can at 100 yards so I feel as though my rifle is complete at this time, I do however have a desire to get a new rifle and my wife doesn't sign off on one often so I feel like it is my best interest to purchase a shotgun. It is not the most price friendly but I have decided to purchase a Remington 870 express with the 18.5 inch barrel ghost ring rifle sights and the screw in chokes and mag tube extension for 450 then for Christmas the wife has permitted me to buy a FoxPro wildfire 2. So the plan is to order my rifle online and once I get it I shall buy several chokes and different ammo (#4 buck seems to be very popular) and check all of the patterning at varying distances. Basically I want to get to know my rifle prior to attempting to take the life of any animal. I will once I begin hunting and calling be taking both my mosin and my shotgun to hopefully cover all possibilities until I really learn what stand I am better at setting up. Once my internet decides that it wants to be fast again I will post pictures of my mosin build so that you can see what it has become.

Colt- good plan. for coyotes i use a hand call. handier and cheaper. i do not think you call in any more with the e-call; but it gives you a MUCH better chance to bag them.

Check out the classifieds here. Sometimes you can get really good deals on callers rifles optics etc. Definitely worth a look if your looking to get more bang for the buck.

Back