I want your guys input
Gun=DPMS LR 308 SASS
Can=SRT Arms Shadow XL TI
Rings=GG&G Accucam
loads=165 & 168 gr mostly , hand loads
Purpose= medium to long range coyotes,
some deer and elk,might shoot a little steal and paper
I do prefer 4plex type reticals

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERSomething in the $1500-$2000 range should do it.

With the info you gave.

OR.......

You could spend 1/3 that amount and get a Nikon ProStaff 5 in a 4.5-18 with side focus and be more than adequately equipped for that cartridge. I own a bunch of Nikons and they've never failed to do what they are asked.

i like the Nikons and have a couple of those. 6-18's power with side adjust.

I would say those or Vortex.
I would also suggest the bullet drop type reticle. I find that those type of reticles, when practiced with, will allow you to get on target, and shoot a lot faster than dialing and twisting knobs.
For some reason coyotes just don't seem to hang out that long, to take your time like you can with Elk.

If i have a a coyote at 300yrds, i know that i just twist the zoom to 10, use the first circle down and aim for center mass. Maybe left edge or right edge depending on the wind.

I'm running a S&W M&P Ar10 .308 Rifle shooting 180gr Grand Slams ,Gemtech Ti Can, and my glass is the Leupold VX6 2-10. LRD.
Huge field of view on 2x for the running shots or in the woods and I have a SwitchView Fast throw Lever on it to Zoom to 12x for long range if needed in a hurry.

Last edited:
I just picked up a leupold vxr firedot 3-9x40 scope for my lr-243. I like the lighted reticle for the moving shots as coyotes don't seem to slow down much and finding the cross hairs can be a pain if there is much brush around.

Originally Posted By: yotefixerI want your guys input
Gun=DPMS LR 308 SASS
Can=SRT Arms Shadow XL TI
Rings=GG&G Accucam
loads=165 & 168 gr mostly , hand loads
Purpose= medium to long range coyotes,
some deer and elk,might shoot a little steal and paper
I do prefer 4plex type reticals

USO LR-17 MOA... wicked piece bro, you already got a wicked can, might as well go balls deep.

Thanks for all the input guys
Ended up getting a Leupold mark 6 M5B2 TMR 3x18x44
expensive but I already have a ton of money in it

Originally Posted By: yotefixerThanks for all the input guys
Ended up getting a Leupold mark 6 M5B2 TMR 3x18x44
expensive but I already have a ton of money in it

Glad you decided to go with top notch glass. You wont regret it. Never spend less on glass than you have on the rifle if your going to shoot it a lot.

Back