polishing dies??

Brownie

I was just resizing some .243 brass and noticed that once the case has been resized and the ram is coming down there is quite a bit of resistance and a dragging scrapping feel as I lower the case out of the die. I checked the expander ball and seemEd ok. The cases were lubed with one shot minutes before resizing. Any suggestions? ?

You can treat the necks with graphite. In a small shallow jar or can, put some lead shot and graphite mix. Dip the neck before sizing. You can get graphite at auto parts stores. Sometimes just dry brushing will help. You can also roll a nylon brush across a lube pad and then run it inside the necks. Many times a good annealing will help as well.

On all new sizing dies, I disassemble the die and polish the expander ball to at least 600 grit. That and a little lube greatly reduce neck stretching and resistance when removing the brass from the die. Polish is the key word there; you don't want to remove a lot of metal! I've nevr had much luck with spray lubes, so I'll let others advise you there.

Originally Posted By: Terry N.On all new sizing dies, I disassemble the die and polish the expander ball to at least 600 grit. That and a little lube greatly reduce neck stretching and resistance when removing the brass from the die. Polish is the key word there; you don't want to remove a lot of metal! I've nevr had much luck with spray lubes, so I'll let others advise you there.

+1 I polish mine frequently, any time I start to see verticle lines inside the necks I chuck the mandrel in a drill and spin it on a shop towel with a dab of mothers mag and aluminum polish. If you see bits of brass on the expander you can usually pick them off first with a sharp knife or exacto. I use one shot also but I fill a small vile with it and dip the case necks in it. If you have a vile with a sealed cap the lube goes a long ways I just top it off each batch of cases.

one shot (I use it), spray it inside the die. spray the cases from all 4 sides & be sure to get some inside the necks. and then let it dry for 10 minutes.

If you think the expander ball is causing the problem, put a little smear of Imperial sizing wax inside the necks with a Q-tip.

when I first started using one shot, I didn't get that it had to dry first. Before it dries, it's not a good lube. I like to spray everything down, check the clock & make sure I give it at least 10 minutes to dry before trying to size any cases.

Originally Posted By: fw707If you think the expander ball is causing the problem, put a little smear of Imperial sizing wax inside the necks with a Q-tip.

+1

Imperial on the expander ball works
Lee sizing wax is a tad better since it is a water based product

Best of all is a product that Hornady makes that is a tiny dish that has several different sizes of brushes on it. You put motor mica in the bottom of the tray, then just push the case down on the brush with the case mouth bottoming out in the motor mica. This tool cleans your necks and lubes it at the same time, you get VERY consistent bullet seating pressure using this tool...great accuracy aid and is very CHEAP!

Good luck

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwhen I first started using one shot, I didn't get that it had to dry first. Before it dries, it's not a good lube. I like to spray everything down, check the clock & make sure I give it at least 10 minutes to dry before trying to size any cases.

I used some the other day and thought, this stuff is no good. Of course I was trying to size before it dried! Works much better dry. LOL.

Failure to follow the directions on One Shot will cause problems and frustration for anyone, many do not allow it to dry completely before use...I use it exclusively for the smaller caliber cases and RCBS pad lube, applied with my fingers to keep it a light application, on the larger ones...

I have a can of Extra Fine Graphite that I use for lubing the inside of the case necks and have never had a problem with my expander balls..I do have to swab out my dies with a .38 caliber pistol mop to knock down the lube/graphite build up, but that is just part of die maintenance for me..

Originally Posted By: fw707If you think the expander ball is causing the problem, put a little smear of Imperial sizing wax inside the necks with a Q-tip.

Better yet, use Lee Sizing wax, it is a water based product and powder will not adhere to it when you are dumping loads, and you do not have to worry about cleaning it out after application!

The Lee wax cost around $3 per tube.

Another great application for decreasing drag on the inside of necks is the Hornady case prep tool that has brushes sticking straight up, with Motor mica in the bottom of the tray. You just stab the brush with the case, it cleans the inside of the neck and lubes at the same time!

Now on polishing dies, use Flitz, and if you do use the One shot, let it dry for a while or put it in the frig for a few minutes. The cold helps the wax in the solution set up.

AOriginally Posted By: ackleyman

Now on polishing dies, use Flitz,

Flitz is great stuff for polishing.
Simichrome is too.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: joedNo one asked but did you chamfer the case necks? Usually that's what causes what you posted.

I trim my cases after sizing with a rcbs 3 way trimmer so it trims chamfer and deburs all I'm one step. Greatest thing I've ever bought. I didn't realize the one shot had to dry that long. Next time I use it I'm going to tape the can to an extra long saws all blade and shake it up that way and give it some dry time. Thanks for all the info guys

I've found that if I rush it, the brass is a lot harder to resize. I've read & seen videos recommending the 10 minute wait & after trying it, it does seem to work better for me.

I have been wondering the same thing for a while. Seems like after I resize its tough. I use lyman spray lube and have for years. Never though about spraying inside of necks.

Back