Am I a loner now?

TCS

So toward the end of last year I finally saved enough to buy a pvs-14. The upside is obvious...the down side I hadn't really thought about. I used to be able to talk a friend or my brother into going out with me once in a while. Now...I don't really know how I could since there's just the one NOD and essentially the second person would just be sitting there in the dark.

So I'd like to ask others who have taken the plunge...how do you hunt with people once you go the night vision route?

Buy two you know in case you need a spare. I hunt alone but I am ready for when my grandson gets big enough to go with me. I dont know how a red light would work while using the NOD it might be too much light.

Problem solved ! Send me your pvs-14, lol.
thumbup.gif

I prefer to hunt alone at night,I can be more silent,stay out longer,and its better for safety,in my opinion..
In fact I prefer to hunt coyotes day or night alone...

I do have one friend,that is into night hunting dogs also,He is the only guy that I will hunt with at night..

Geese and crows I will bring the buds..

Last edited:
I got the D740 for me and the FLIR for the wife,or who ever else goes with me at night. When I go with a bud we will take turns shooting.

"I prefer to hunt alone at night,I can be more silent,stay out longer,and its better for safety,in my opinion..
In fact I prefer to hunt coyotes day or night alone...

I do have one friend,that is into night hunting ,He is the only guy that I will hunt with at night."

+1 on that

After you start killing a lot of coyotes then your buddies will get one too!!!!
If you tell. I usually do not.

I haven't gone night hunting yet without my night hunting partner and we both have NV scopes and he has a PS32.

It's a blast comparing equipment and taking turns spotting with his PS32.

TCS... I feel your pain...I hunt alone ever since I got my thermal....all my hunting partners hunt with a red light.....just remember it's lonely at the top....but I do get to do all the shooting.

Hunting by your self is no fun.That is the fun part about night predators. Hunting and having a hunting partner or maybe 2 or 3 is the fun.
Partners.

maybe take them out a few times and have a spotting light that the person wearing the gear is holding and have a shooter, take turns..

Cut the NV, once you are ready to light it up, and shoot.

Hopefully that gets the other person going to get their own.

Originally Posted By: reaper4do you really kill that many more with thermals?

The thermal (for spotting) allows me to see coyotes as far off a 600 yards coming through grass, or brush, that I never could see with the
standard night vision, its about picking them up early so you can get ready, then I use the conventional night vision for target I.D. then shot..
My FLIR has gotten me dogs that I would never have seen....
Up here in the north most states you can not use lights,night vision and thermal are so much more stealthier and help you stay low key...

I have never been able to hunt with a light so I really cant say much about the subject...

I hunt alone a good bit, (besides the dog) and have acquired a good bit of NV gear over the years 2 dedicated NV scopes 2 PVS14's a hand held ls64 and Raytheon 1000, so I always have room for one or 2 more or my choice of systems some better than others for the situation at hand . more than 3 on coyotes and its a party and not conducive to fur on the ground as in noise, scent and other matters, Hogs I can get away with it for the most part. but two sets of eyes on thermal is better than one any day. before I hunt with a FNG I like to spend a little time with them on equipment rules and safety.

1. all guns are always loaded, and to be treated as such, (don't cover me or the dog with the muzzle at any time)

2. shoot only when I say so and confirmed that we are both on the same target and made positive Identification, additionally stop when I say so as I may see things they don't concerning safety.

3.check to make sure NV is off and announce before going white lights on and let others check and wait for a clear

additional things I go over are the importance of staying in their field of fire, sometimes I don't have time or want to talk while walking into a stand to explain that there is equipment to your 90* or livestock . taking out a new guy is work and a responsibility, if and when I do I normally have my brother who owns no NV gear but knows mine intimately to help tutor new guys and help keep and eye on them.

there have been several times I wish I had an extra set of eyes with me, and introducing someone to the dark side is always a thrill in itself

Yeah... I got a good introduction to the dark side by a couple of PM members and they took the time to teach me to use their equipment and some good safe proceedures and I'm very grateful for that.

It's a LOT more complicated than daytime hunting and a thrill everytime but there is a LOT more that can go wrong too.

Be careful out there folks... It's fun but a lot more dangerous.

Back