Shockwave vs alpha dog REVISED

Ihateyotes

Got to use my new shockwave tonight 1 fox down thought I missed because I saw it go down scanned came back and saw one leaving right where I shot it I held off waiting for it to drop but it didn't. Went to where I saw it drop and sure enough it was there I guess it had a mate that I did not see coming in. The following is purely my opinion and YMMV but I own and use both and each has its own benefits. I hear FoxPro's warranty is better hope I never have to test either one.

Shockwave
1. has better sounds to my ear more realistic
2. remote is busy I will have to play with it some more
3. remote is finicky as in you have to be just right to control the call even holding it straight up and away from you. I may need to put the call on a tripod it was about 40 yards away in a field.
4. Has battery meters on the call and the remote
5. has more features foxbang etc
6. Both have directional speaker which was important to me
7. Call can be operated with or without the remote AD is with remote only

Alpha Dog
1. Has a better remote less finicky less busy
2. has a pause button shockwave only has a mute
3. legs are built in which may account for the better remote performance
4. Way louder than the shockwave
5. more compact if that matters to you but saying that the shockwave is not huge just does not fold up as small
6. Purely matters to me I like the tiny power light on the back of the AD because I can find it with my night scope
7. Side speakers can be angled up and down in addition to forward and back.

Last edited:
All manuals recommend elevating any of the ecallers for better performance. There are 5 people using the TX1000 remote in our area, and have never heard anybody call it finicky. Not saying your remote is not finicky, but that could indicate a problem that needs to be addressed. Good luck to you.

Originally Posted By: Ihateyotes
2. has a pause button shockwave only has a mute

4. Way louder than the shockwave

mute and pause. same thing, different words to me. what is different in you mind?

i never been around a ad. it is louder than the sw? that is very loud then.

I don't know what is up with your remote but I use my Sh0ckWAve Remote at 100-150 yards often and never have any problem. I would look into that if I were you. I sit it on top of my carry bag which is 14" off the ground but use a Tripod when the grass is taller.

My cousin 4Paws and I tried a Alpha Dog and it was a good caller. The sounds were terrible if you tried to use HIGH volume. Alpha Dog distorted BAD on higher volumes. We sent it back and picked up an extra SHOckwaVE for the clarity and the Remote.

I have owned a LOT of callers over the years buy IMO the SHOckWavE has more clarity than any caller I have ever used. When I need the Volume of a CS24C I just hook a SP60 speaker to it and it is as loud as my CS24C.

Over the last 30 years I have tried just about every caller made. The quality of callers and SERVICE has made me a FoXpr0 Junkie.

If I didn't use FoXpR0 I would go with Johnny Stewart callers.

Last edited:
I dont disagree i think the shockwave is clearer sounding. If mute is the same thing as pause I am good with that I just assumed it meant what it said and mute is no volume but still playing and pause is pause in playing like a TV. And I agree I think since the AD has its own legs built in it is already elevated hense no issue with the remote. I have a small tripod and I am going to try it. Finicky as in with the AD remote it does not matter where I hold it it just works the FP is a little different on how you can hold it so you do not get interference.

The only time I have had calls sound off on the AD is when the batteries are getting low at high volume. I am not complaining I like them both for different reasons and will use both these were just my opinions on a new to me piece of gear.

On some of the older ecallers, i.e. those that ran a cassette tape, mute was just turning off the sound but it didn't stop the cassette from turning. On the digital callers, regardless of what you call it, the sound stops instantly, and begins again when you unmute it.

Definitely no complaints on its effectiveness I called in a fox double the first time out even though I only shot one. I will get used to the remote with more use and it will definitely get used.

I thought the idea of the new remote was it worked high or low. That is a pile of money for 40 yards in my opinion.

chazwho2, what do you mean by "High or low"? FoxPro uses FHSS technology on the high end models, which assures you more reliable performance. We have tested the Fusion, the Shockwave, the CS-24C, and the Krakatoa II at distances up to 200 yards with no issues. Most of the people who report issues with range on any of the remotes are pointing their remote at the ecaller like you do your tv remote at your tv. That is wrong. Hold it straight up and down away from your body and rifle. If you do have a FoxPro that doesn't do what it is supposed to do, you can rest assured that FoxPro will take care of you.

If you can only get out 40 yards with a TX1000 Remote something is wrong. I have three calls with the TX1000 and I hunt with the caller 100-150 yards away. I have never had any issues with the TX1000 at that distance. I have tested them out to 200 yards with good results. I have used several other FOxpr0 callers with FHSS technology and all of them performed well out to 200 yards.

IMHO you need to call FOxpR0 and let them help you figure out what's wrong.

Originally Posted By: chazwho2I thought the idea of the new remote was it worked high or low. That is a pile of money for 40 yards in my opinion.

Last edited:
LOL dont know if I have a problem yet I will try it on the tripod first I dont want to cry wolf just noting it. I have read prior comments on how to hold the remote so I know that was not the problem. When I was straight behind the caller it worked (no tripod) when I went off to the side of it about 15 yards i could not get it to operate but it was on the ground not elevated. But I was on top of a round bale so I thought that should account for it. There is also the factor that this remote/call is new to me so I need to learn how it behaves.

My only comparison is the AD and short of having my back turned and me between the remote and the caller it works even set it off with the remote in my pocket lol. If it turns out I have a problem I will contact FP from what I have read they will take care of it so no problem.

This post was just to note the difference to me in the two calls having started out on a AD and bringing in a FP to change things up. If I had started out with a FP I would have gone the other direction as no matter the caller if you stick with the same brand the howls are the same no matter what caller you use so to get different howls I had to go to a different brand and I wanted to have one call howling and the other answering but with a different "coyote".

Also the FP takes other downloads such as TT and they show correctly on the remote whereas even sounds purchased directly from Primos dont show with the name on the AD remote it may just be that I am not computer literate enough to figure it out.

You will have to get some longer screws for your tripod to work with the Shockwave. The Shockwave has it's threads a little father inside the caller and you will not get enough up in there to hold it good. I tried it inside and I thought I was going to break it so I got some longer screws and washers if I needed them. Works fine now and is strong on the tripod.

Last edited:
The small camera tripod I have does exactly what you are describing but I have one off a spotting scope that works perfect. I just had to find where I had it put up at first.

Originally Posted By: possumalchazwho2, what do you mean by "High or low"? FoxPro uses FHSS technology on the high end models, which assures you more reliable performance. We have tested the Fusion, the Shockwave, the CS-24C, and the Krakatoa II at distances up to 200 yards with no issues. Most of the people who report issues with range on any of the remotes are pointing their remote at the ecaller like you do your tv remote at your tv. That is wrong. Hold it straight up and down away from your body and rifle. If you do have a FoxPro that doesn't do what it is supposed to do, you can rest assured that FoxPro will take care of you.

That is what I'm saying for that much money you should be able to throw that sucker 40 yards out on the ground and it will work. You say it should work out to 200 yards, he says it has issues at 40 yards. I'm saying I believe you both. Heck I hope they still make little red wagons because we will need one to haul everything to stand before long.

This is not a which one is better comparison I like them both.

Ok just got home and took both the AD and SW out in my pasture where the known yardage is 100m. I now have the SW on a small tripod off a spotting scope and since I hunt with a night scope I don't see me putting the calls that far out.

Caller facing me repeated with caller facing away just because I could lol

1. I was wrong both calls appear to be about the same volume wise with the AD 100 setting being comparable to the SW 40 setting.

2. Both remotes worked out to 100m and then again 15-20 yards offset from the calls.

3. With good batteries both calls are clear at max volume being coyote howls as that is the only sound I run that high.

4. Neither remote cared if I held it straight up or pointed at the caller.

5. I still hold to the busy opinion SW has 16 buttons and the AD has 10 so when the adrenaline starts pumping less can be better and the major ones are bigger on the AD. However the SW remote the buttons are backlit which is a big help in the dark.

6. But having said #5 you do get more features with more buttons but that will take time and use to get them all down to what I need and where it is at.

50 presets ought to be a big advantage to you when you get used to using them. Between the presets, foxbang, and the recall button, you'll be in a better position to have to use less buttons, even though you can easily read the TX1000.

I got the shockwave and a fx 5 like them both but I think that the wind some how goof both remotes up I have problem getting them to mute in the wind it seems like but I also hunt in the east I don't always have a clear view of caller . on stick it out 50 yards or so if I can . like the remote on tx1000 vs tx500 other then tx500 simple

Back