Best lighting setups for calling at night

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntershot over 2000 with aircraft landing lights in plain old white,but what do i know

i guess you know plain white landing lights work for shooting coyotes.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: lyotehuntershot over 2000 with aircraft landing lights in plain old white,but what do i know

i guess you know plain white landing lights work for shooting coyotes.

haha. thats slicker than snot

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntershot over 2000 with aircraft landing lights in plain old white,but what do i know

Who was flying the plane? Were you shooting out of the window?

hey brother good to see another Marylander on here. I would urge you to check out night eyes predator lights. they are right up in PA. and I have used nothing but their lights for two years now. awesome, durable, lightweight lights that have rechargeable lithium batteries that last forever and they really are available for customers to contact with any questions. awesome company and the lights are affordable compared to a lot of the competition

no plane just mounted on the truck,with some mouth calls and a tape player now a CD,the shots average about 250yds.i wish i would have had all the headlamps that we have now.we have shot a few doubles,somes triples and one time i shot 4 before they could all get out of the lights.i shoot left handed with a right hand remington,in 22-250 and after rem.had them for sale i got a 17.rem.lots of fun and hard work.i am 68 as of sept.and we still do it today where it is legal.we have a 12volt light on a drop cord in the back with a gambel and hook so we can skin while they are still warm and spray with bug killer.[none of them had fleas when we started.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterspray with bug killer.[none of them had fleas when we started.

you saying years ago none of the coyotes had fleas? i got serious about skinning coyotes for the fur in the mid 70's. i know coyotes had fleas then. man do i know.
lol.gif

should have said the coyotes in the areas that i hunted,but the sure do now i think the first we noticed was about 26 or 27 yrs ago.we usally skin them while they are warm and once you get the back legs turned over they don't get off.we spray them and throw them in a bag.by the time we take them out all the critters are dead.they used to bite my parteners wife not us.she bitched and he said we bwtter do something so we did and he still got to go hunting.i don't think he shared the money because he bought a new truck to hunt in with the money once.

Last edited:
Well guys, I'm going to print out a copy of this thread to keep for futures. I did already have a fairly large, very powerful handheld from Walmart which should be OK for me again this season. And given how good the cyclops was for me, well... with points on hand, a $20 coupon, a $10 gift card I already had to cash in- I went with this new cyclops with gun mount option from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cyclops-Varmint-Gun-Light/1840983.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dvarmint%2Bgun%2Blight%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=varmint+gun+light&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

We'll see how it does in another few weeks. I'm anxious to get going again, I know that. Good hunting to all of you!

Seems like this thread has played out, but I'll add my two cents.

I've used a number of lights and settled on the Lightforce about eight years ago. Never had an issue with it and use it as straight red lens, or white with the rheostat. Works great and we've killed a ton of critters with it.

Color doesn't seem to matter, at least when we hunted. White light is better for spotting and shooting. The red lens cuts down the intensity and is tough for shooters to shoot under, unless you're used to it. If the animal is not looking at you, they're hard to spot under a red light.

White light works just fine and direct and high intensity may scare some critters, but I've seen other race in unconcerned. You will definitely draw a lot of unwanted attention swinging a high intensity white light than you would swinging a red.

Red with a rheostat is a good combo.

Well, I mounted this new light up on my scope yesterday and then shot it in last night right before dark. So far, I'm fairly impressed with this little thing! I feel like this green beam now will definitely reach out a lot further than the red lens I was using on my first cyclops handheld spotlight. Anyway, I will lead off with this one on top of my 222rem and keep my better scope on the 22hornet then to go with my bigger/brighter handheld red light I got from Walmart last season for when I'm hunting with a buddy. But the wire seems really nice and heavy duty and has a great feel to it, the beam is adjustable, and I was seeing plenty good with it out to 100 yards even after it was pitch dark last night. Time will tell... thanks everyone. The post about Boondocks is really what got me looking for this type of light for a scope mount this time.

Back