Warm weather tactics

FairChase93

I haven't hunted a day over 40 degrees for several years and that's about to change. Our annual coyote contest is coming up this Saturday with temps forecasted to be in the low 80s I am out of my element I feel.

I'm curious what others do when calling in weather this warm. How do your tactics vary from warm to cold. Do you really see any difference. Choosing a warm weather stand?

It's going to be 2 days after a new moon as well.

I'm probably over thinking this whole deal but I'm quite sure I've never called when it was in the 80s.

I let the time of year dictate the tactics I use. I won't change much else just because of warm weather, other than dress accordingly.

I'm interested in this as well. I live in SE OK and spent a whole day last week hunting my butt off. I made 9 stands and 6 of them were textbook. I got busted for sure on one but the rest didn't seem to produce any signs or interest. I was using hand calls only and it was on public land. That being said, all the yotes I've seen this year have been healthy and well fed looking. Are they just being picky, or should I use different sounds than I use in the dead of winter. Example: yote distress sounds or challenge sounds vs. rabbit/bird distress sounds? I was stumped after hunting all day with nothing to show

It's certainly tuffer because they don't need as many calories as apposed to cold winter days. Take advantage of the hot weather and call around water holes, dirt tanks and water supplys I believe you will have some success.

One thing about this part of the country at this time of the year is that the coyotes tend to be particularly brainless. Partly I think because there are so many young dogs that are just plain foolish. This contest has been going on for 20 years or so and it's not that uncommon for 10 coyotes to be brought in by 1 two man team. Although it seems to usually fall during the first real cold snap of the season. The results may be interesting to say the least with the warmer weather.

This year will be a little different as well because we have had so much moisture, far more than average. The overall ground cover is much thicker and taller than what is normal around here.

My plan of attack is in fact to target water sources with good lines of travel to and from.

Originally Posted By: songdogI let the time of year dictate the tactics I use. I won't change much else just because of warm weather, other than dress accordingly.

+1

I too let the time of year dictate my tactics... I let weather patterns dictate when I hunt... I have success in the heat of the summer but it is mostly at dusk and dawn, unless there is a good front with rain...

To bad coyote calling contests are not planned around weather patterns...

I don't hunt them for contest... I hunt them because it is a part of what I am...

Can hunt just about anytime I want now. I watch the weather really close and let it dictate what I do and when. Try to pick the weather I like to hunt in and use rainy or windy days for the honey do list and family activity.

About the only thing I do different in warm weather is look for fresh mowed fields, water holes and hay bales. In the summer months I like having a fawn decoy. What I dress in to hunt changes more than anything else. I also use Sawyers Fishermen Formula to keep the bugs away in the heat.

It sucks....period. This last weekend I went out and called on Sunday. I knew it wasn't going to be good but we had last Sunday penciled in for quite some time. Couldn't get started until noon and proceeded to go 0-7.
Probably one of the worst days on recent memory I've had. Calling prime - low pressure spots too; they simply were not responding.
This was in Northwestern Nebraska.

Last edited:
I kill coyotes at high noon in temps from 10 to 110. Temp and time of day seems to be irrelevant. Some days I kill coyotes on the first two stands and don't see another one the rest of the day. Sometimes I don't kill my first one til 3 o'clock. Every day is different and I have no idea why.

Back