Predator Hunting With Air Gun ???

kc_hhsl

Was reading an article in Extreme Predator - bought a copy off the magazine rack. The article was about using air rifles. Does anyone use air rifles out here? Are they legit? Are they fairly effective?

Thanks

There are a number of guns that get the job done. Airguns are now made large enough to kill buffalo, and it has been done.
Getting setup can run a few bucks.

Search the user list for member BUTCHER45, he doesn't post a lot, but he has probably forgotten more about big bore airguns than anyone else here knows. Start reading his posts as he only uses airguns.

Chupa

I have a friend who recently (last month) took this coyote with his Beeman Kodiak .25 caliber gasram air rifle. This is his 4th coyote with an air rifle, so yes, it can be done.

Originally Posted By: tripod3There are a number of guns that get the job done. Airguns are now made large enough to kill buffalo, and it has been done.
Getting setup can run a few bucks.

Kill a buffalo - that is kind of amazing. Far cry from my kid's air rifle that he used to have. It had a punch to it - one of the $150 to $200 models that pushed the pellet in excess of 1000 ft/second ... at least I think that was what the box indicated.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingySearch the user list for member BUTCHER45, he doesn't post a lot, but he has probably forgotten more about big bore airguns than anyone else here knows. Start reading his posts as he only uses airguns.

Chupa

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have a friend who recently (last month) took this coyote with his Beeman Kodiak .25 caliber gasram air rifle. This is his 4th coyote with an air rifle, so yes, it can be done.

This ought to be interesting - getting a "pellet" to have enough velocity to kill something as big as a coyote - let alone a buffalo is pretty good.

Technically speaking they're not pellets, most big bore pcp airguns fire an actual bullet. It's just that they are propelled by compressed air and not expanding gases due to burning propellant. The Benjamin Rogue .357 actually fires a 147gr .38 caliber bullet made by Nosler.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyTechnically speaking they're not pellets, most big bore pcp airguns fire an actual bullet. It's just that they are propelled by compressed air and not expanding gases due to burning propellant. The Benjamin Rogue .357 actually fires a 147gr .38 caliber bullet made by Nosler.

Chupa

I read some of those posting by Butcher45 - I had no idea they could compress the air sufficiently enough to propel the bullet.

Originally Posted By: fantdlCheck out Airguns of Arizona or dennis Quackenbush

Quackenbush was one of the names in the article - 4XX quackenbush air rifle. I will check it out - might be something to think about in the future.

Originally Posted By: kc_hhslOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyTechnically speaking they're not pellets, most big bore pcp airguns fire an actual bullet. It's just that they are propelled by compressed air and not expanding gases due to burning propellant. The Benjamin Rogue .357 actually fires a 147gr .38 caliber bullet made by Nosler.

Chupa

I read some of those posting by Butcher45 - I had no idea they could compress the air sufficiently enough to propel the bullet.

The Rogue pushes that 147gr Nosler at about 900fps if I remember correctly, that pace ain't far off a .38 Special! And as impressive as that is, it's nothing compared to some of the other PCP's like the Sam Yang and Quakenbush. Don't be put off by a Chinese made air gun, they aren't allowed to own firearms over there and they actually hunt everything with airguns. So they make very good airguns.

Chupa

Forgot to mention. They are NOT quiet, quite the opposite. However, because they are technically not a firearm, there is no tax stamp required to suppress them.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyForgot to mention. They are NOT quiet, quite the opposite. However, because they are technically not a firearm, there is no tax stamp required to suppress them.

Chupa

Some are quite loud. Usually the single shots. They have scope killing recoil too... especially the spring loaded ones. The Nitro Piston guns are not so violent.

Higher end airguns have incorporated suppressors.

The loudest thing about my Marauder .25 is the bullet hitting the target.
wink.gif

It'll kill most anything you would want to kill at decent ranges. I try and shoot something in the head and inside 45 yards for DRT.

A larger bullet like the Rogue shoots will put down bigger game.

The 145gr Nosler Ballistic Tip shot completely through this coyote and boar alike.

Airgun technology is catching up with demand for powerful and useful hunting weapons. State laws allowing such weapons is also changing to be more inclusive of high powered airguns.

I use a .25cal Air Force Condor SS. In Az, it has to be .22 or over pre-charged, but over .30 they treat it like a firearm and you can't discharge it within 1/4 mile of an occupied building.

Like Chupa said, most of the bigger air guns are using actual bullets. Pellets do have issues with lack of expansion, but you are packing enough energy for a good head shot where expansion is not such an issue. My Condor pushes a 27gr, .25cal pellet at 950 fps which is similar ballistically to a #4 buckshot pellet. Broadside headshots work great. Head on headshots might be a bit dicey especially on a coyote if you hit the face/brow area. Top of the head, no problem.

Shot placement is critical, but these air rifles are so accurate that it really isn't that bad. you just have to get them lined up. 20-40 yards and you are good to go, you just have to be a bit more selective about which shots to take.

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarThey have scope killing recoil too... especially the spring loaded ones. The Nitro Piston guns are not so violent.

Airgun technology is catching up with demand for powerful and useful hunting weapons. State laws allowing such weapons is also changing to be more inclusive of high powered airguns.

I've heard air guns are hard on scopes but never figured there was a .30+ caliber air guns being used to shoot holes through pigs.

I guess Jethro better spend a little time outside of Mayberry ...

Air guns came a long way since I was a kid... Y'all got me considering getting one of these things... Never really considered it until Chupa mentioned legal suppression without a stamp..

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762 Never really considered it until Chupa mentioned legal suppression without a stamp..

I wouldn't listen to anything that guy has to say. He's a couple bricks short of a picnic. He's like a screen door on a submarine because he gets the leaves out of Dodge.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: kc_hhslOriginally Posted By: rockinbbarThey have scope killing recoil too... especially the spring loaded ones. The Nitro Piston guns are not so violent.

I've heard air guns are hard on scopes but never figured there was a .30+ caliber air guns being used to shoot holes through pigs.

I guess Jethro better spend a little time outside of Mayberry ...

Springer rifles are tough on scopes because they recoil back and forth unlike a firearm which recoils to the rear only. If you are going to use a springer rifle you have to have a special scope.

PCP, pre-charged pneumatics have really no recoil. My Condor doesn't even pull off target when I fire it. Neither did my Marauder. So no special scope needed.

Back