Stocky's vs Boyd's

trapperj

Going to upgrade the ol 22-250 stock. It's a mod 70 winchester. I like the laminates and am wondering if their is any major advantage of a Stocky stock over a Boyds? The stocky would be 259.00 and the Boyds around 100.00. Any suggestions? Appreciate It.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Stocky brand but I have a Boyds thumbhole on my Marlin 22-250. It helped my accuracy a bit by free floating the barrel and helped balance the gun a bit better (the Marlin X7VH rifles are weighted like a sledgehammer with the factory stock). If you are considering the thumbhole version in a boyds, the only complaint I have is it seems to be designed for people with bigger hands. I'm right on the edge of my hands not being big enough but it is still very comfortable. In my opinion the Boyds is a good stock for the money. Good luck!

Shelton

I like Boyds stocks. First they are cheap and easy to glass bed.
They are light weight and I do not worry about scratching them in the field.
You will have to add sling studs but they sell a stud kit with drills and a jig to locate and drill the holes.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I like Boyds stocks. First they are cheap and easy to glass bed.
They are light weight and I do not worry about scratching them in the field.
You will have to add sling studs but they sell a stud kit with drills and a jig to locate and drill the holes.

Willy, mine came with studs installed already. Has 1 in the back and two in the front, 1 for bipod and 1 for sling. It is a varmint model so that might be why they come with them installed? Just curious but good to know for the future if they don't come with them now because i plan on putting one on my Savage 223. Thanks!

Shelton

Awesome, thanx for the replies. I was looking at the prairie hunter from Boyd's. If no advantage to Stocky's, and xtra 150.00 I'll go with the Boyd's.

Prairie hunter

Vented thumb hole varmint

I like them pretty well. I've used a few. And no the prairie hunters do t come with studs. The varmints do

I have several Boyd's, and no Stoskey's...

If you love checkering, then Boyd's has some that will knock your eyes out, and that is an understatement.

I have both and they both work well for me. Stocky I think has a larger color selection than Boyds.

My last built rifle I used Stocky because they had a Purple laminate thumbhole and it was on sale.

arky

I have 3 Boyd's stocks, 1 lightweight thumbhole, 1 varmint thumbhole, and one classic. I really like all 3 stocks. I have 1 varmint thumbhole from Stocky's and like it maybe a tad better than the Boyd's counterpart. Only reason I went with Stocky's on this one was Boyd's didn't offer the same color, that is until 2 weeks after I ordered the one from Stocky's!! LOL
Boyd's has added a ton of colors and inlets to their offerings this year.

I've got 2 Boyd's laminate and 1 Richard's laminate. I had got the Richard's because I wanted to try the Tackdriver style. The fit was a little too snug on the Richard's and I ve been working on it slowly. The Boyd's Tacticool was a straight drop in. But I opened up the barrel channel quite a bit. I really like all 3 stocks. I probably will only buy Boyd's in the future.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIf you love checkering, then Boyd's has some that will knock your eyes out, and that is an understatement.

And that's a fact Jack!
My classic cost less than 100.00 + 40.00 for checkering. (with sling studs)
They're more now but still worth every penny IMO.

Back