hunting with an ar?

varminter185

I have a .308 with a burris a-332 scope, similar to an acog. One of the people I work with said I shouldn't hunt with it because of my choice of optic. Was wondering what your thoughts on this was?

Hunt with what you want to use. If it doesn't work for you than change it to what will. Let the guy at work set up his own rifle to what he wants! This one is yours and you can do what you like to it!

Eh, it was more of an outside perception issue. Would this cause questions from say a game warden? I like it because of the fast target acquisition.

I don't know your game laws. If there are no legal or regulatory restrictions against using it, then use it.

Originally Posted By: varminter185Eh, it was more of an outside perception issue. Would this cause questions from say a game warden? I like it because of the fast target acquisition.

Sorry, Didn't read it that way. What Stu said!!

If it works for you, go for it. My 12 yr old daughter just took her first buck with my AP4 .308 using a 1.5-5 VX3 set at 1.5x.

My wife's uncle said my gun had no place in the woods. In the last six years since I purchased this rifle, it has taken more deer than his traditional BAR, and one of his older brothers is now looking into an AR for hunting (he's in his late 50's).

Just remember, opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one! Go with what works for you. For driven hunts, I prefer a red dot. For everything else, I like my low power scopes.

When people ask me which rifle to use I always tell them to use the one they can shoot the best. If your set up works for you then it's good to go.

Use what you want if it's legal and ethical (ethical being mostly perception). I went on my first hog hunt with a regular ol' 16" AR and the guide said that wasn't a big enough round. Well four year later and never having to have to track one of my pigs he still gets and earful of sarcasm when I roll one.

I'm going to bring my 25dti to Kansas with me along with my 300win mag.

I have hunted with 5.56 and 308 AR's. When I am in thick brush I found myself regularly dialing down to 1.5x to 2.5x magnification. A couple weeks ago I was hunting deer in central Oregon in an area where 300-400 yards was the norm. Some hunters on an opposing ridge started shooting at deer on my side of a draw. When I finally saw the deer I looked through my scope and couldn't find him because my scope was set on 10X. I dialed it down to 5X. Even though he was over 200 yards away I still had a hard time staying on him because he was moving. I would think 3X would get the job done.

Back