Problem sizing new brass

Inxslung12

i am reloading 6x45, for a remington 700 ,18" krieger. Using once fired .223 brass works fine. I decided to splurge and purchased some new lapua .223 match. I am using a Short Base rcbs die.
The shoulder is not getting sized well enough and the rounds won't feed into the chamber.
I have lubed the neck thinking the expander is pulling the shoulder up on the way out. Same result.
I'm wondering if the short base die is the problem?
Next test, I loaded up some of the lapua with .223 , and fire some. Than try to reload once fired lapua. Will be purchasing a full length redding die as well this week.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Short base die? Do you mean small base?

Will the untouched 223 Lapua chamber? How snug is the bolt?

Do you have the small base die screwed down until the ram is caming over, or do you have it just touching the shell holder? Try screwing it in just a tad more.

Is the shell holder RCBS, and is it clean?

I would hold off on buying any thing else, until you get some of this straightened out. I believe you just need a mandrel die to expand the neck. Maybe some of the 6x45 people will chime in.

On inital case forming I just use a mandrel. If not I back the die off to not touch the shoulder as the expander will do its thing fine. It could be you are muffin toppingthe shoulders if you are screwed down tight on the shell holder.

A SMALL BASED die is not normally needed in this cartidge in a bolt gun. I have four of these in AR's and all use a standrd die.

Greg

I have never used Lapua brass but I just run 223 brass into my rcbs full length die and have never had a problem with new or once fired brass.

Originally Posted By: NorTex250Can anyone tell me the thought process behind FL sizing new Lapua brass?

It's a 6x45.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: NorTex250Can anyone tell me the thought process behind FL sizing new Lapua brass?

I've been going thru some new lapua 243 brass, and have been surprised at the amount of dinged up case mouths. Not ready to load as I expected

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: NorTex250Can anyone tell me the thought process behind FL sizing new Lapua brass?

I've been going thru some new lapua 243 brass, and have been surprised at the amount of dinged up case mouths. Not ready to load as I expected

That is where the Sinclair mandrel set up shines.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhOriginally Posted By: NorTex250Can anyone tell me the thought process behind FL sizing new Lapua brass?

Just give them a light turn around the tip of some needle-nose pliers and they'll be ready to load.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI've been going thru some new lapua 243 brass, and have been surprised at the amount of dinged up case mouths. Not ready to load as I expected

That is where the Sinclair mandrel set up shines.
Greg[/quote]

Thanks Greg

Originally Posted By: fw707

Just give them a light turn around the tip of some needle-nose pliers and they'll be ready to load.

Sounds like an easy fix, I'll try it, thank you sir

Thanks for tips all. The new brass chambers fine before I size, so Im gunna try backing off the die and just expand the neck. It's not muffin topping , it's seems it's stretching the shoulder upward. I know small base dies are more for auto loaders, I planned on getting the full length die anyways.
Thanks again everyone.

Back