No Precision Mic for Creedmoor ?????

Hidalgo

Well, for some unknown reason, RCBS has failed to offer their Precision Mic for the 6.5 Creedmoor. That really BLOWS! It is one of my go-to tools for getting my brass ready.

Thanks a LOT there RCBS.
thumbdown.gif

Hidalgo, since the 6.5 Cr. is based on the 308 case, wouldn't a 308 case mic. work for you? Granted the zero reading would be off, but I would think you could set your sizing die with the .308 CM. This would not help in determining COAL, however.

Since I know nothing about the 6.5, this is probably a stupid question, but inquiring minds (mine) want to know.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I'm not sure. The shoulder is quite a bit shorter on the Creedmoor, and I'm not certain how far "down" the MIC will go.

Guess I need to look further into this, huh?
blink.gif

While I love the MIC, I could always go with the Hornady Headspace Gauge and be fine if it comes down to it.

You could drop a plug in the 308 base to raise the case up and move the shoulder forward. It would give you a relative number to work with in shoulder height adjustment.

Greg

That is a definite possibility Greg. Thanks for the suggestion. But I think I'd be more precise with the Hornady.

This has got to be an issue for Creedmoor loaders ... IF they want to get the best out of their guns. I can't believe that nobody has ran into this yet. How are they measuring their fired cases before reloading them? If they're doing full resizing every time their case life is going to be terrible, not to mention the cost of lost accuracy.

There are numerous ways to measure shoulder bump without using a Precision Mic. Use any one of them? Drop a pistol case on the shoulder and use calipers, for one. It works, as do many other ways.

I had a Precision Mic for while, a long time ago. I didn't find it particularly great and gave it away. Lots of guys have been getting quite good results from their rifles without them for a very long time. Including for a very long time before the Precision Mic even existed. If it fits your reloading habits and you like it, great, carry on, but, it's hardly needed to obtain excellent results.

Just my opinion...

- DAA

I may have found a "solution" .....

The base and diameter is the same on .243 and 6.5CM cases. And the measurement on the .243 from base to shoulder is only .0398 longer than the 6.5CM. It appears that the precision mic can measure that longer distance and still have reference points on the barrel of the tool (as far as I can tell). Since I'm not actually worried about a "zero" figure and am only going to use the tool for comparison and base measurements, this should work. Am I wrong with my reasoning here?

Also, I am going to be loading for my son's new .243 anyway and the tool will be on the bench for it.

Thoughts?

I use the Hornady rig most of the time. I also use the reversed fired case method. I own seven RCBS srt ups but the Hornady gets used the lion's share of the time.

Greg

I'll get the Hornady tomorrow and use it. It looks like it would be more precise than "adapting" a precision mic to do the job. About $20 cheaper, too.

Back