second batch of reloads success?

reaper4

just wanted to say thank you for all the help and guidance over the last 6 months or so. I just fired my second batch of reloads and am getting pretty happy with the results. hope to do some fine tuning but i feel that they are good enough for some longer pokes at the reds for this . year. now wich to choose? i got some groups that are not bad. nothing over one inch. just thinking about velocity now. not sure if i should go with a hotter load with a pretty good group or a slower load with a slightly better group. here they are what do you guys think?

Unless you're loaded extremely slow, accuracy trumps velocity every time. You just need to keep the speed up enough that the bullet will behave properly. Unless I'm badly mistaken, you should still be running those at 3200+ with 24.5 grains. Noslers data shows 25.0 as a max load. I think I'd be very satisfied with 24.5 accuracy. You might even want to drop it to 24.0 and see where you are. Sometimes I have found the best accuracy at lesser charges.

Quote:not sure if i should go with a hotter load with a pretty good group or a slower load with a slightly better group. here they are what do you guys think?

I personally go with accuracy over speed, but its all depends on what you are going to do with it.

Both excellent groups and good shooting! Keep in mind [beeep] that just because one load shoots a few thou tighter than another one time certainly does not conclude that it is the more accurate load. If you haven't yet invested in a chonograph I suggest doing so if you are interested in shooting long. It will be necessary to know your velocities to dial your scope for different distances, also one of the most important factor's in finding an accurate long range load is finding a load with the lowest e.s and s.d. That may not show so much at 100 yards but will the farther out you go.
Congratulations on the successful loads and have fun with it!

You need to do some more test groups. Basing all your results on one set of groups, is a trap many new reloaders fall into. What will you do if on the next batch, the 25.0 out shoots the 24.5? What about 24.75? Did a small gust of wind cause one to open up, or did you wiggle off just a tad, and accidentally pull a shot that went just out, or just in. Your just starting, but your on the right track. The extra trigger time will help anyone. Keep tweeking, and I'm glad your having success at such a early stage. If you play with enough new loads, you will find you have been lucky to find a combo that works this well this easy.

Oh, I like speed, AND accuracy! You can USUALLY find both with a little work.

i will be shooting a few more groups tomorrow. i did shoot two groups of every load i tested(about 14) and those two were consistently tight. im going to run thought the same loads again tomorrow and see what happens with less wind.(it blew about 15 today)it seems that i got better accuracy between 24.2 and 25.0. the funny this is i shot about half 60gr vmax vs 55gr varmageddons and the noslers took almost every group with benchmark and varget

shot a few more today and got very similar results...just about anything from 24.0 to 25.0 shoots pretty good. i just realized that i forgot to say that i havent cleaned my barrel in a few hundred rounds over the last couple months....bet if i do that the groups might just tighten up a little bit

Back