Kansas double!

nyttrain5150

I've been having great success so far this year. Far exceeding what I've done in previous years. I've been fortunate enough to hook up with flintrock here and I think we've done extremely well in the early season.
We went out last night after work two make a few stands. That turned out to be a couple slightly longer than usual stands. On the first flintrock called in a nice looking male. He put his lights out at about 35 yards.
On the second stand we set up on the backside of a pond dam with a small draw running from it down to the timber. I called for about 20 minutes. It was getting getting a little dark and it was looking grim. All the sudden two coyotes pop up on the hillside at my 1 o'clock. I start blowing a soft pup distress and bring the male in to about 10 yards. I figure he was close enough so down he goes. Meanwhile the female is still sitting next to a small tree about 80 yards off. The shotgun blast didn't send her bolting surprisingly. I still had the call loosely in my mouth so I blew a very soft pup distress. She started coming in. I couldn't believe my eyes! She was circling down wind so before she got to my scent cone I sent some #4 buck at her and she went down at 40 yards. She started to wiggle so I sent two more for insurance. Winner winner chicken dinner! By now is was really getting dark. We got them posed up for the "it really did happen" picture and made our way back to the truck. We were loading our gear into the truck when the songdogs started singing their tunes. We stopped to admire and take it in, beautiful to say the least. Then realized with what we were hearing we have more calling to do.

IMG_3048_zpsdc08446a.jpg

IMG_3051_zps1c11ec0b.jpg

3 dog night, not too shabby. Cool to shotgun a double. Have you been getting mostly young of the year or a fair percentage of adults?

Thanks fellas. Mostly what're are seeing are 1-2 year olds. I've gotten 2 that are are probably a bit older. Chupa, I'm freakish loving this shotgun! This is my first year using one and I can't figure out why I hadn't done it sooner.

Last edited:
Interesting on the shotty, I picked up a 10gauge that I am planning on using some. Been holding off on calling this year, but after hearing them up by the house last night (and posts like this one) I plan on doing some calling tomorrow. Gotta love the spell check feature, eh Chips?

Last edited:
Buawhahaha!!! chips... I fixed it. Apparently my phone had its own ideas.

Absolutely right Catwhacker, all hand calls. Thanks! I've really stepped up using hand calls this season.

Thank you very much Mr Horting!

I'm thinking we have a lot more fun in store for us flintrock. Maybe by tomorrow my heart rate will be a little closer to normal and I'll be ready for more!

Originally Posted By: flintrockThat looks like it was too much fun! Oh wait, I was there and it was!!! Where in the flinthills you from I went to Flinthills high grew up in these parts

Back