Hornady bulk 55g sp?

nockhunter

Anybody using Hornady 55g sp bulk bullets? A gunshop by me has them for a good price. How well they shoot from your ARs, how do they do on critters, etc. I know rifles are different. Just let me know if you use them and what you think.

Mike

I bought the 6000 bulk Hornady pack and they are not bench rest bullets obviously.
In my AR15 and bolt gun they only average about 1.5" at 100 yds no matter the load.
My bolt gun usually prints any good bullet under .600", these are just blasting bullets IMO..
They will take care of any Varmints easy though.

I have used them for about the last 3 seasons. They shoot sub minute in my ORC and flat stomp coyotes into the dirt. I'm not shooting gnats with them though.

Chupa

If you're buying bulk components, you can likely expect bulk groups. Some companies do package and sell in bulk to cut down the cost of packaging and pass that along to the consumer. But unless that is spelled out on the product, you have no idea if that is the case or not.

This is as opposed to buying in quantity. That's entirely different.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoIf you're buying bulk opposed to buying in quantity.

Now you're just acting like words matter....

"Defiantly" as opposed to "definitely". As commonly used on many forums...
smile.gif

That said, the Hornady 55 SP W/C #2266 works well for me. A inch at 100 is fine when my goal is to call them inside 100 yards before I shoot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Airedale56Originally Posted By: HidalgoIf you're buying bulk opposed to buying in quantity.

Now you're just acting like words matter....

"Defiantly" as opposed to "definitely". As commonly used on many forums...
smile.gif

That said, the Hornady 55 SP W/C #2266 works well for me. A inch at 100 is fine when my goal is to call them inside 100 yards before I shoot.

Or "Loose" and "Lose", that's just irritating.

Chupa

They shoot about 1.5 to 2 inch groups out of my browning x bolt predator. I mainly use them as my initial sighting in ammo, after that I start fine tuning with my good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Any one ever compare some of the SP bullets? I always wondered if any of them were better than the others

I haven't done any real comparisons, but if I'm looking for an accurate hunting load I'd try sierra gamekings. The 55 hpbt #1390 has been very accurate in every rifle I've tried it in, I have seen other guys touting the 55gr sp #1365 also. I'm currently working up loads for the 65 sgk spbt #1395 in my AR's and 22-250. They shoot really well and should be a good all around .22 hunting bullet, I haven't got to see performance on game yet but hopefully soon.

All that said, to get back to the original topic, I have like 1500 of these Hornady 55 sp's and they shoot pretty well in everything I've tried them in. Good bullets for the money and I'd buy them for AR training rounds before I'd buy 55 FMJs, which cost the same.

I used a 55gr soft point on a ~130lb hog. The bullet was doing about 2850fps and the shot was 50m give or take. Broke one rib going in, blew out two ribs exiting and made a pretty good mess of the middle. I buy these and the FMJs whenever I can find them on sale.

I use them due to the price point. I've bought them recently as low as 7 1/2 cents a piece. I have a lot of plinking loads for the kids and family using the Hornadys. That said, I still get 1" or less at 100 yards. I do use "premium" bullets for all my hunting needs though.

These are all I use in 223,1 Ar and 3 bolt action and they easily group under an inch in 4 rifles I load for. No coyote has lived through being hit with one. Had a couple get back up from a good hit but didn't go to far. So far complete pass through out to 250-275yds,haven't shot one further yet.

I ran across them at a local gunshop when picking up some powder, and they were $45/500. I was thinking about giving them a try.

Mike

I shoot a bunch of the 55 SP w/c through my AR15 rifles. This summer I shot around 5,000 of them. I have two rifles that shoot them under one MOA. Can't beat them for the price.

In my custom Bolt 223 and 223 AI, they shoot .375 or less.

In my brothers Bushmasters with the heavy stainless barrels, they shoot 1/2".

Benchmark with 7 1/2's work very well with this bullet.

Good luck

Back