Time for new tires!!

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishcurrent set are Revo 2's, they don't look like they're going to last any longer than the last 3 or 4 sets did.

Take a look at the rankings on tire rack, I've had two sets of Revos and two sets of Revo 2's, loved them in mud and snowy conditions. The relatively new Firestone A/T Destinations rank as good or better in all ten categories and should wear 20k better. I'd have gotten Revo's again but can't argue with better ratings along with significantly cheaper. Money alone wouldn't have swayed me, it took both. The truck had expensive Toyo A/T tires that were crap, it now stops so much quicker it's hard to believe it's the same truck.

I bought a new set of tires last year. After talking with people in my area and with the tire shops around here I settled on Hankook Dynapro ATMs (10 ply). I have yet to have a complaint about them. Everyone I spoke with said they get great mileage out of them. So far I concur with that and unless something drastic happens I'll be replacing them with the same tires.

Several sets of General Grabber ATII`s myself, and sold a couple other friends/relatives on them, it`s the only AT truck tire for me.
Hankook, Dynapros came on the used Avalanche and I will need to replace them with Generals next year. The Hankook tires have worn well though.

Originally Posted By: nyttrain5150I bought a new set of tires last year. After talking with people in my area and with the tire shops around here I settled on Hankook Dynapro ATMs (10 ply). I have yet to have a complaint about them. Everyone I spoke with said they get great mileage out of them. So far I concur with that and unless something drastic happens I'll be replacing them with the same tires.

You can have a great set of tires, doesn't mean there aren't better ones out there if you use internet resources Enjoy what you have if you like it, doesn't mean it's the last word. In your area you could be the first to look at tire rack revues and find an even better tire than what you have.

I'm sorry guys, I may be sort of a liberal, my dad still swears by goodyear tires, it doesn't matter what I tell him about newer hi tech tires. I hated Bridgestone tires until I saw that they had a top ranked tire over Michelin at $225 each and Pireli Scorpions that had been the number one all terrain tire. If I had been like my dad and never deviated from an ill conceived brand affiliated opinion or belief I'd have never in my life tried a top ranked Bridgestone. Now he will never buy or drive a Ford product based on idiotic misconceptions and beliefs formed in the 60's.

Originally Posted By: woodguruI'm sorry guys, I may be sort of a liberal, my dad still swears by goodyear tires, it doesn't matter what I tell him about newer hi tech tires. I hated Bridgestone tires until I saw that they had a top ranked tire over Michelin at $225 each and Pireli Scorpions that had been the number one all terrain tire. If I had been like my dad and never deviated from an ill conceived brand affiliated opinion or belief I'd have never in my life tried a top ranked Bridgestone. Now he will never buy or drive a Ford product based on idiotic misconceptions and beliefs formed in the 60's.
Sort of a LIBERAL??
That`s ok woodtick,....lol..hey, kind of missed you;
Yeah, my Grandpa was the same way regarding vehicles; he had one bad experience with Cheverolet, and would not consider anything but a Ford after that.
Try them General AT2`s and never look back! Even my liberal brother agrees!

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: woodguruI'm sorry guys, I may be sort of a liberal, my dad still swears by goodyear tires, it doesn't matter what I tell him about newer hi tech tires. I hated Bridgestone tires until I saw that they had a top ranked tire over Michelin at $225 each and Pireli Scorpions that had been the number one all terrain tire. If I had been like my dad and never deviated from an ill conceived brand affiliated opinion or belief I'd have never in my life tried a top ranked Bridgestone. Now he will never buy or drive a Ford product based on idiotic misconceptions and beliefs formed in the 60's.
Sort of a LIBERAL??
That`s ok woodtick,....lol..hey, kind of missed you;
Yeah, my Grandpa was the same way regarding vehicles; he had one bad experience with Cheverolet, and would not consider anything but a Ford after that.
Try them General AT2`s and never look back! Even my liberal brother agrees!

Got me chukling

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: nyttrain5150I bought a new set of tires last year. After talking with people in my area and with the tire shops around here I settled on Hankook Dynapro ATMs (10 ply). I have yet to have a complaint about them. Everyone I spoke with said they get great mileage out of them. So far I concur with that and unless something drastic happens I'll be replacing them with the same tires.

You can have a great set of tires, doesn't mean there aren't better ones out there if you use internet resources Enjoy what you have if you like it, doesn't mean it's the last word. In your area you could be the first to look at tire rack revues and find an even better tire than what you have.

I stated my personal experiences with a set tires. I believe that is what the OP was asking for, opinions and recommendations of tires. As a matter of fact I do enjoy the tires I bought & I even said I would buy them again because so far they have lived up to what I was told about them. I never said or even inferred that my word or what I was told was "the last word" as you put it. You were also quick to point out that "I may be the first to read a review on Tire Rack in my area". That is quite an assumption on your part and can be taken condescending as well. I did in fact read reviews online from many different sources as well as personally talked to friends and tire professionals in my area. I even managed to find the fabled TireRack.com that you appear to be a spokesman for. I have to assume that since every contribution you've made to this post has referenced that company at least once. I do hope they send you a royalty check for seemingly demanding that everyone use their information because it appears in your opinion the reviews on their site are "the last word" and personal experiences couldn't possibly measure up.

Well after I stewed on it for awhile I ended up ordering the cooper AT3 from discount tire direct. They have a $70 rebate going right now and discount tire direct on ebay had a $100 instant savings on 4 tires as well as free shipping. All that brought the cost from $148 a tire to $105.50 to my door, probably some of the cheapest tires I have bought in a long time

Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Those are not that different from the ATPs I have. I worked them pretty hard last weekend on my kids' deer hunt and am still pleased. Had some pretty bad mud even, and they performed admirably for an all terrain type tire.

I really wanted to try the atp, they just look a bit more agressive with the scaloped shoulder blocks. I actually called cooper to see if they ever made or planed on making them in 15". cooper said they are a private label only for discount tire and that they handle all marketing, warranty, etc. He also said that the atp and at3 are an identical tire as far as rubber compound, carcass design, handling\traction characteristics. Only difference is the slightly more agressive shoulder blocks.

well, for better or worse I went with the destinaton A/T's this time. Buy 3 get 1 free right now, total price about $663.

Then I bitched about the duellers being worn out at 40,000 miles & got another $100 off, so the total came to $570

I considered coopers, bf goodrich & michelins this time. The michelins really temped me as they tend to last forever, but the cheaper ones are a highway tread & might not be good when towing the boat. The others are another $100 / 4 & I was already at $763 for the cheaper ones.

Back