Mossberg MVP Varmint 223

FairChase93

There have been a few threads in the past regarding these rifles, I'm just curious if anybody has some recent range reports they could share. What are you seeing for accuracy? Feeding problems? Other unexpected problems? I've had ample opportunity to check one out and I'm thinking I kind of want one to play with.

The fit and finish of the one I have looked over is quite good considering the price I'm just curious what your seeing. Real world experience with this rifle please.

Can't help you on range report for the 5.56. I was looking for that rifle in 7.62, but the more I look the less I like them, at least the 7.62 caliber version. Stories of loose magazines ratteling, feed issues and after looking at youtube it doesn't look like the bolt runs very smoothly. As I said I haven't had one in my hands yet. I have checked out the .223, thats what made me interested in the 7.62 version. I like the concept of the MVP, and the price, I've seen them for $529.00 locally.

I think I've read every report and watched every video I could find on youtube. It seems to me that its about 75/25 for good and bad reviews. This particular gun is a trade in at my father-in-laws small gun business. I know the person who traded it in and they have claimed great accuracy, their reason for trading it in was because they were buying the version that comes pre threaded for a suppressor. It comes with a somewhat decent scope on it and is available for a very reasonable price.

I took the gun to the range the other day(FIL hadn't made the deal yet) and I was able to shoot one 4 shot group and 1 5 shot group with the rifle. The 4 shot group was done with some handloads that had been somewhat tailored to the rifle and it went just a little over 1 inch. The 5 shot group was with some factory seconds refurbished surplus ammo and it was not pretty, somewhere over 3 inches. This was all the ammo we had at the time so I wasn't able to really do anymore testing.

I filled the magazine several times and ran the shells through it to see if It would have feeding problems and there were a few hitches. I learned though that you couldn't baby the bolt, if you operated the bolt with a little extra authority it ran effortlessly every time.

The stock on the rifle is quite nice for the price range and fits me very well. Without being able to play with trigger much I am reserving judgement for now but it seemed to break consistently and crisp.

I don't normally get to have this much of a hands on experience with a gun before I buy it but the situation was a little different this time and he knew I have been eyeing this particular model for quite some time.

I have a few guns I have been looking to trade for a while so it would be no out of pocket cash to get the deal done. I'm just trying to make up my mind if I want to do it. I'm really just wondering if somebody has one that they have tailored a load to and what they've seen for accuracy with said load. Also if somebody has really put one through the paces, like 500 rounds or more and if it is still functioning properly.

I have one and out of the box mine has been a tack driver. Quarter sized groups with standard bulk ball ammo @ 100yds. I have run about 75 rounds through it. Started shooting some premium ammo through it and the groups tightened up quite a bit. I have yet to take this set up out past 100yds yet hopefully soon I'll get to a range that I can stretch it out at. I did have one problem with my MVP when I first got it the mag would fall out if it got bumped at all. I dug into it and found a bunch of red gunk under the catch for the mag. Cleaned it out lubed it up and I haven't had a mag fall out since. All in all so far I have been fairly satisfied with my firearm. Oh and yes at first the bolt is a little stiff but with some good oil and setting on the couch running the action it has smoothed out pretty good but it's still not an Abolt or good Mauser action.

My dad bought one a couple weeks ago. With the crap ammo he had it shot a 7shot group at about an inch. My issue with the gun is the slop in the bolt, the trigger, and the mag. Its a pretty good buy at the price it is being offered, but i think i would rather have a rem700 or tika for a little more money. If you want it because of the detachable mag, then just get an AR.

I can work with the bolt, you have to be very direct with it and it will load just fine. Try to baby it and the shell will pop up from the mag and bind up in the chamber.

The trigger bottomed out is suppose to be around 2lbs, but it was around 3.5 on the scale.the trigger break is ok, but not that great

The mag fits very loose. It rattles, flexes, and wiggles.

My calling partner has one. Every time we go he constantly gripes about the weight, the noise, the bolt, and the fact that he'll hit the mag release every couple stands and lose a mag and have to backtrack. (He's naturally clumsy) But when he gets a shot he's right back in love with it. It really is a pretty good shooter but like most rifles it has its weaknesses too. I think there are better options out there but for the money and if the weight doesn't bother you it's ok.

Back