Heavier Than Lead Shot Shells

Smokin250

I am heading to Iowa in couple weeks to pheasant hunt. We hunt all public land out there, there fore we have to use non toxic shot. In the past we always just use steel shot, which always seems like shooting sand at them. I have wanted to try to the heavier than lead non toxic shells for years but never have.

Does anyone have any experience with these shells? How do they perform, do they pattern well? Are they worth the extra price?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

You don't have to use steel shot on public land. You only have to use steel shot if the are WMA lands or in certain counties state and federal land. But if it is county land then you don't. I can't help you with the heavier than lead but there is going to be lots of corn still standing. We just finished getting 3-4in of rain. Good luck. I have not hunted any pheasants in over 8yrs.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250
Does anyone have any experience with these shells? How do they perform, do they pattern well? Are they worth the extra price?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Extensive experience. Their longer range performance is excellent, and when paired with a good choke, pattern well. The extra expense, is not trivial, but in some situations, yes it is worth the extra cost. I shoot steel shot, in about 90% of my waterfowl shooting, which should be noted, is done mostly with a Browning Gold 10 gauge. But when I have a set up where I am shooting across the decoys, in high winds, nothing maintains good patterns like dense non-toxic shot. Also, in cases where the birds are heavily pressured, and just skirt the decoys, "Hevi-Shot" or "HW-13" shot has saved the trip. And of course for turkeys, I only load dense non-toxic shot, for penetration over longer ranges.

I don't buy factory loaded dense non-toxic shot shells, unless I find a crazy good deal on them. I can load them for about 50%-60% of the cost of factory ammo, and I get to tune the load for my gun. So if you try it an like it, you may consider hand loading your future dense non-toxic loads.

Squeeze

Thanks guys for the help.

I will be going to Spirit Lake, hunting around that area. Which I believe is Dickinson county? I will have to look on DNR map to find out if that falls under the non toxic zone. But all the years I have hunted up there we have always used steel.

Like Squeeze, I have used Bismuth and Hevi-Shot. They are superior to steel shot in terms of 'thump' when the pellets get there, with Hevi-Shot being even better than Bismuth.

To be fair to steel shot, I have not used it since I found Bismuth in the early '90's, then transitioned to Hevi-Shot (HS) about 2002.

I shoot sxs guns and not many have been compatible with steel or Hevi-Shot, but I sold my sxs's in order to buy new sxs's that could shoot HS.

To keep the cost down, consider using HS for your 2nd or 3rd shot, or if the conditions are tough.

My hunting partner used to carry lead and steel for the different areas and has abandoned that for straight steel. He uses 3's and 4's out of IC and MOD in his Berretta O/U and is very efficient on dispatching pheasants and sharptails. He hunts MT for two weeks a year and then has access to 1000's of acres of wild birds here in WA and hunts 3 day weekends through the season. He kills a lot of birds and find very little fault in steel loads. Center a bird in a decent pattern of 3 or 4 steel and your going to have pheasant for dinner.

I shoot ITX loads but only 7/8 oz of 6's in mild 2 1/2" loads and have no problems putting down birds out of my old Euro SxS's. In my modern 20ga SxS I shoot 3 or 4 steel and have no problem either.

We both have good dog and enough experience to pass on the marginal shots.

I would recommend you try hevi steel which is made by hevi shot. It is different than the hevi metal loads so specifically look for hevi steel. 3" #4 at 1500 fps. This is one of the best steel loads I have shot and trust me I have shot a lot of them. We're talking notable difference on birds from myself and my hunting partners who also have shot a ton of different steel offerings. We were shooting waterfowl with them last weekend but I would not hesitate to use this load on pheasants after seeing how well they hammer the birds. Best part is they are very reasonablly priced. Only about $1-2 more than kent fast steel.

I have had a lot of issues with Kent fast steel sticking in my chamber on my 870 over the years. Not sure why, but it was always the Kents.

I am just envisioning a #3 or #4 tearing them to pieces, but I guess I always use 3" #5, so going next size up couldn't be that much worse.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250How much better is it vs the cost though?

"We both have good dog and enough experience to pass on the marginal shots."

For wild pheasants, a good dog is priceless. Get a bird down and they will find it, whether you use steel, Hevishot or rocks.

However, without a dog, you want the bird dead in the air and Hevishot is better at that than steel.

The ammo is usually the cheapest part of the hunt, and has the biggest job to do. So, to answer your question, yes, to me, Hevishot is worth the price.

If you want to reload some denser than lead loads you can save over half the price of Hevi-Shot factory loads.

Bucks Run Sports Supply sells HW13 shot and it looks much better than Hevi-Shot and it is cheaper than Hevi-Shot.

Bucks Run Sports Supply has the wads, reloading manual for HW13 shot and the HW13 shot.

Bucks Run's web-site doesn't work so you need to call them and sometimes it will take a few tries to get through. 1-800-274-0403

The new Hevi-Steel that is now being sold is not denser than steel like the old Hevi-Steel was. The new Hevi-Steel is just steel shot. Don't be fooled by the name of it.

I am just interested in factory loads at this point. Im wondering if the price difference between factory heavi shot load (or other brand similar) Is worth the difference in the price of what it cost to get standard steel shot.

Factory Hevi-Shot loads are going for $4.00 to $5.50 per shell.

Most of the ammo manufacturers no longer make denser than lead shotgun loads because they cost to much.

Go with steel loads.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFactory Hevi-Shot loads are going for $4.00 to $5.50 per shell.

Most of the ammo manufacturers no longer make denser than lead shotgun loads because they cost to much.

Go with steel loads.

Hevi Metal loads are about $1/shot. They do work better than steel alone. Good shells IMO. Remember, the most important part of the hunt (bullet, shot, arrow) shouldn't be the most skimped on...

Hevi metal 6's will do what you need, if should find some hevi shot in 7 1/2 buy them IC choke, will kill ducks at 40yds, so roosters shouldn't be any problem

Hevimetal is 50 bucks off a case. If your having problems with steel it might be good time to switch. I shoot steel 3" 3's inside of 35 and have never had any problems. Last year I didnt shoot any lead because I just don't see any difference at those ranges. If more of my shots were taken at 40 #2 steel or blackcloud, blindside, or hevimetal in #3 or 4's would be better.
I hunt a flusher and steel works for me. Kansas hasn't been the greatest lately but last year I lost 1 bird. And I'll take the blame for it. The year before that 2 and on the dog. If you can find a load that works well with your gun steel has come a long ways.

I picked up a box of heavy metal 3" #4 yesterday, $28 a box, had $10 off coupon for field and stream. So it worked out alright, we shall see if it helps at all. Hopefully I can do my part haha

Back